Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Convert Westy Fridge to 1 lb Propane bottle?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
LynnsABCs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:27 pm    Post subject: Convert Westy Fridge to 1 lb Propane bottle? Reply with quote

Can you Convert Westy Fridge to 1 lb Propane bottle like you can the stove?
1961 Porsche 356 B Notchback Coupe

Last edited by LynnsABCs on Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:44 am; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Convert Westy Frig to 1 lb Freon bottle? Reply with quote

LynnsABCs wrote:
Can you Convert Westy Frig to 1 lb Freon bottle like you can the stove?

I'm assuming that you mean propane, not freon. If that's the question then the answer is yes, you'd just plumb the 1lb propane bottle to the fridge propane line. I don't know how long out would last, perhaps a few days? The Westy three gallon tank holds about 12 lbs of propane +\-.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
Steve Arndt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: Convert Westy Fridge to 1 lb Propane bottle? Reply with quote

North Westy has a kit:

http://north-westy.com/north-westy-parts/lp-elimination-kit

You can also go to a propane / bbq supply house and they can set you up.
xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Convert Westy Fridge to 1 lb Propane bottle? Reply with quote

The Westy Dometic fridge will only run for about 12 hours on a propane bottle. The modern 12v refrigerators are much more efficient.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
msinabottle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Convert Westy Fridge to 1 lb Propane bottle? Reply with quote

With my adapter rig, doped and tightened, Winston's Dometic and stove ran for two days on a 'double' canister with propane to spare. YMMV, I suppose.

Best!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
izzydog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Convert Westy Fridge to 1 lb Propane bottle? Reply with quote

I had a local propane company make me a short "rescue" hose for connecting 1lb bottles. It's long enough when attached, to let a 1lb propane bottle lay on the ground next to the van. I think it cost me around $15. (I call it a "rescue" hose because it rescued my breakfast one time when I ran out of propane right in the middle of cooking breakfast.)

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The large fitting connects to the 1lb bottle and the small fitting connects to a "T" that is plumbed into the system BEFORE the van's propane regulator (2nd photo)The square thing in the middle of the photo is the plug that lives in the t-fitting when the rescue hose is not in use. I don't remember what size the small fitting on the hose is, but when you go to the propane place and ask them for a t-fitting that will fit "in-line" on your van, you can also have them match the t-fitting female port to the male fitting on the rescue hose.

Hope that all makes sense.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: