Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Air cleaner vacuum hose confusion
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
BJT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 5:42 am    Post subject: Air cleaner vacuum hose confusion Reply with quote

I’ve looked at a lot of the postings and pics, but still need a bit clarification on the vacuum hose labeled “B” in the owners manual
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Where exactly does it go? I see it to the carb in this pic

But to the intake manifold (blue color) in this

I just know I’m missing it...

So where does it go? Or does either place work?
BJT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 5:56 am    Post subject: Re: Air cleaner vacuum hose confusion Reply with quote

Also, pics of my carb and manifold, not a Thing intake, looks like the nipple is much bigger on my intake... so should I just hook the vacuum hose up to the carb?

74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 5:52 am    Post subject: Re: Air cleaner vacuum hose confusion Reply with quote

It is supposed to go to the intake manifold like the blue colored line in the yellow colored Thing photo.

The orange colored one is incorrect. You can see the correct port that is capped with a blue cap in that photo of the left side of the manifold beneath the carb. The drivers side vac fitting on the carb is for the vac advance and the rear facing vac fittings on the carb are for the vac retard and the EGR valve. The EGR valve has been removed in the orange Thing photo as seen by the two bolts.
BJT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:10 am    Post subject: Re: Air cleaner vacuum hose confusion Reply with quote

Thanks! And crap, now I have to find a hose large enough to fit my intake port that reduces to a hose small enough to fit my air cleaner...
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:23 am    Post subject: Re: Air cleaner vacuum hose confusion Reply with quote

https://www.bugcity.com/shop/shop.lasso?cid=10&...Ot19FF8A25
BJT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: Air cleaner vacuum hose confusion Reply with quote

Thanks, but I need some sort of reducing coupler, the intake port is 12mm I believe, and I think the air cleaner one is 2.5mm or 3mm...
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:29 am    Post subject: Re: Air cleaner vacuum hose confusion Reply with quote

??

Last edited by 74 Thing on Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:31 am; edited 1 time in total
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: Air cleaner vacuum hose confusion Reply with quote

12mm? It should be like a vacuum hose size like this photo shows https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2200674

Please post a photo of yours.
BJT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: Air cleaner vacuum hose confusion Reply with quote

Mine is an AE case, from a Bus I believe, and no clue where the intake is from, I’ll have to get better photos of it later and check the part number. But that’s a 1/2 inch hose the PO put on there to plug it (the hose has a bolt shoved into the open end)

BJT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Air cleaner vacuum hose confusion Reply with quote

Alright, I got it sort out. According to a guy on the Bus forum, I have a Split Bus intake. The large port was used for the power brakes. And it doesn’t have a small port for the warm air pipe vacuum.

I don’t see why I can’t use the power brake port and get a reducer to the Thing’s air cleaner vacuum port.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Air cleaner vacuum hose confusion Reply with quote

To be clear for the future - Bay Window Bus
busdaddy wrote:
1971 baywindow manifold, the port is for the power brakes.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BJT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 4:30 am    Post subject: Re: Air cleaner vacuum hose confusion Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
To be clear for the future - Bay Window Bus
busdaddy wrote:
1971 baywindow manifold, the port is for the power brakes.

Yea, thanks, I realized I typed split window... just was too lazy to fix my post, ha ha.
germanbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: Air cleaner vacuum hose confusion Reply with quote

Why don't you just plug it into the base of the carb where that black plug is. It is the same as taking it off the back of the manifold. Sure would be easier and look better.
GB
BJT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: Air cleaner vacuum hose confusion Reply with quote

germanbilly wrote:
Why don't you just plug it into the base of the carb where that black plug is. It is the same as taking it off the back of the manifold. Sure would be easier and look better.
GB

Well.... short answer... I didn’t think of that or know it would work... longer answer... I haven’t messed with a carb since rebuilding a 68 BMW motorcycle carb about 25 years ago, which was a very simple carb, hence I didn’t think about that port.

To clarify, which port are you talking about? The red or green circle?
germanbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 2:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Air cleaner vacuum hose confusion Reply with quote

My 74 connects to the red one and my 73 connects to the green one.
GB
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: