Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Programmable Ignition
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
allamaabroad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:40 pm    Post subject: Programmable Ignition Reply with quote

Looking for some solid answers on the different styles of programmable ignition that I've come accross. I'm interested in being able to fine tune the advance curve for my engine w/ load sensing (Specs in sig) for the purposes of making the power more smooth and increasing gas mileage at cruise, and making the ignition system more accurate and reliable.
Here's the options I've been considering:

CB's Black Box w/ current distributor: (Pretty nice German made Bosch 009)
This option seems nice, but I feel like there will still be slop from the dist. and it's point's mechanism. The price is nice @ $200

CB's MagnaSpark 2 Digital: As far as I understand this, it's an all in one programmable unit. Very appealing to me as it's all in one package with the same capabilities, and I have possibly found a deal to get it for >$200

Used Mallory Box: I don't know much about these, but I know they;ve been around for a long time and serve a similar purpose. I'm not sure which one is best, but I know they sell for a decent price used.

Crank Trigger:? Crank trigger definitely interests me with the improved accuracy that it provides, but I'm really looking to spend not much more than $200, so this is likely out of my price range.

I'm pretty settled on the MagnaSpark 2 Digital I can get it for $200, but I'm open to other options that may be out there and any opinions or experiences on any programmable ignitions.

Thanks!

/////On a side note, do spanish Weber 40 IDF's have a vacuum port?

2180 TW: CNC Panchitos, Beehives Done Right, Web 163, Ultralight Lifters, 1.3 Rockers, CSP Python, Custom Speeduino EFI Conversion with 40mm Throttle Bodies

Distributors are lame

I have a really hard time leaving things alone...

Innovative and affordable engine management systems and EFI conversions for your Vintage VW
Visit https://debbiesaircooled.com/
iamdonquixote
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 5:50 am    Post subject: Re: Programmable Ignition Reply with quote

maybe add ignition 123 to the list?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67 Sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:28 am    Post subject: Re: Programmable Ignition Reply with quote

Ignition 123...
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:38 am    Post subject: Re: Programmable Ignition Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=675029

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
jpaull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: Programmable Ignition Reply with quote

Consider this:

1. Both the black box and the programmable magnaspark distribitor might not be reliable and give you problems.

2. Your horsepower/torque might only have very small gains.

3. Timing scatter and play within german/quality distribitors is minimal to the point that it would take 7k+ rpms to find.

4. Gas mileage improvemnets from programmable is going to be small, and more likely the black box or programmable distributor will leave you stranded before gas mpg gains pay for itself.

5. Your $200 would most likely be better spent on a magnaspark standard distributor kit that comes with wires/coil. Its accurate and the coil output is very impressive. This improvement alone would give you a boost..

6. If you really want programmable, you should spend more then $200 and get a msd 6al programmable ($350 refurb from MSD) or other higher end solution.
[email protected] MPH 1/4 Mile & 8.1 @ 83.7MPH in 1/8 Mile with Mild Type 1 VW Mag Case 2234cc commuter engine in stock weight bug w/only .491 total lift(CB2292 Cam), 42x37 heads, 48idf's, Street tires, Belt on, Mufflers, Pump gas, video of the run here: https://youtu.be/M3SPqMOKAOg

Transmission by MCMScott:
Rhino case, Klinkenberg 4.12, Superdiff, 002 mainshaft with 091 first idler. Weddle 1.48 Third & 1.14 Fourth.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: Programmable Ignition Reply with quote

I have the Magnaspark digital. Haven’t had any problems yet but everything has a shelf life. I don’t see a difference between an electronic dist or a msd box. They are both still electronic and can fail. Its just like a crank trigger but with a dist. You can do lean cruise with it and fine tune the map. I like the bigger rotor over the 009 one. Cap and rotor are in line for a longer duration. Has a rev limiter, two stage and can use without map. If you don’t want to do a lean cruise just get the regular one.
allamaabroad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: Programmable Ignition Reply with quote

jpaull wrote:
Consider this:

1. Both the black box and the programmable magnaspark distribitor might not be reliable and give you problems.

3. Timing scatter and play within german/quality distribitors is minimal to the point that it would take 7k+ rpms to find.

4. Gas mileage improvemnets from programmable is going to be small, and more likely the black box or programmable distributor will leave you stranded before gas mpg gains pay for itself.

5. Your $200 would most likely be better spent on a magnaspark standard distributor kit that comes with wires/coil. Its accurate and the coil output is very impressive. This improvement alone would give you a boost..

6. If you really want programmable, you should spend more then $200 and get a msd 6al programmable ($350 refurb from MSD) or other higher end solution.

I guess I didn't make it clear, but I can get a digital Magnaspark 2 KIT (Complete distributor, wires, coil, other accessories) for $200. A guy I know is giving me a deal on it, it's all new.

So are you saying that a stand Magnaspark 2 would be better and more reliable? As far as I can tell, they both use the same stuff, the digital just has some added electronics and the ability to fine tune along with setting lean cruise.

Do you have experience with the CB products leaving you stranded? I've tried to find bad reviews on them but I haven't found any truly bad experiences recently.

2180 TW: CNC Panchitos, Beehives Done Right, Web 163, Ultralight Lifters, 1.3 Rockers, CSP Python, Custom Speeduino EFI Conversion with 40mm Throttle Bodies

Distributors are lame

I have a really hard time leaving things alone...

Innovative and affordable engine management systems and EFI conversions for your Vintage VW
Visit https://debbiesaircooled.com/
jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Programmable Ignition Reply with quote

They had problems with the first digitals if I remember correctly.
67 Sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Programmable Ignition Reply with quote

It sounds as if your mind is already (sorta) made up.
I would buy it BUT have a backup just in case you get stranded.
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Programmable Ignition Reply with quote

It may just be me, but I would definitely spend those 200 bucks (and a little more) on a better exhaust system, from the heads out. That will 90% certain give you a cooler running engine and 10% better power.
A good distributor can´t do much difference when the engine can´t breathe properly.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Programmable Ignition Reply with quote

I have a Magna Spark II Digital.
When I first installed it. It would out of the blue just shut down while running at low RPM. I couldn't bump start it back to life without cycling the key completely off and back on. It did this at least three times. Call CB and talked to Mark. He said he had never heard of this. Research indicates, he was made aware of this situation at least a year earlier.

It stopped shutting down and ran well. Until I installed the distributor into my 2180. It runs great under 5K RPM. Above that, it stumbles.

I swapped out the distributor with a German 009 and can get to 7K with out a stumble.
I have no idea why the Digital distributor does this but it sits in a box in my house waiting for when I have time to fuck with it on the phone with Mark from CB.

That's my experience with the Magna Spark II Digital.

Good Luck.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
BFB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Programmable Ignition Reply with quote

i bought one of the first black boxes that was produced and have run it on a 1600 with 20lbs of boost, currently on a boosted 2276.
ive put thousands of miles on this rail without issue
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BFB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Programmable Ignition Reply with quote

i bought one of the first black boxes that was produced and have run it on a 1600 with 20lbs of boost, currently on a boosted 2276.
ive put thousands of miles on this rail without issue
HBRag
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Programmable Ignition Reply with quote

I purchased and am still running one of the first 20 Maganaspark digital distributors from CB. Any ‘problems’ with the first batch, are field addressable and an easy software update. It unfortunate that there isn’t more info out there for anybody that might have one of that first batch in original state.

It’s been a while a while since I addressed this with Mark’s help (took 20 minutes). So I’ll tell you what I member, but could be off on the details a bit. In essence there was a change in the software logic, and the physical direction of the sweep end connection on the rotor. This changed the rotor phasing and allowed for great amount of total advance for lean cruise tuning. Prior to the change, higher advance number could run out of rotor, which essential felt like a rev limiter at RPM. What got me was a new laptop, in which I loaded the newer version of the software. The later version of the software, assumes the physical configuration and firmware that units ~21 all got.

Once I flipped the rotor contact, undated the firmware and matched that to the latest software, everything has been rock solid. I’m tuned for lean cruise at 16:1 AFR, and WOT at 13:1 on DRLA 45’s. The engine runs so cool, I have a hard time getting the oil past 200 degrees.

I knew what I was taking on with asking for one of the first batch, CB stood by updating the system for greater functionality. I’ve seen no issues with a second two I’ve helped friends with.

If there is a whole kit available new for $200, PM me, I’ll take it. You can tell on the spot if it one of the first 20, as the rotor contact points the opposite direction that the replacement parts shown on their website.

Alan
jpaull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Programmable Ignition Reply with quote

allamaabroad wrote:
jpaull wrote:
Consider this:

I guess I didn't make it clear, but I can get a digital Magnaspark 2 KIT (Complete distributor, wires, coil, other accessories) for $200. A guy I know is giving me a deal on it, it's all new.

So are you saying that a stand Magnaspark 2 would be better and more reliable? As far as I can tell, they both use the same stuff, the digital just has some added electronics and the ability to fine tune along with setting lean cruise.

Do you have experience with the CB products leaving you stranded? I've tried to find bad reviews on them but I haven't found any truly bad experiences recently.

Yes, the black box left me stranded twice 1 year ago. It shut off in traffic. Once I towed it home, the next time luckily I had a spare coil and everything to bypass the black box and get back home.

When you say "As far as I can tell, they both use the same stuff, the digital just has some added electronics and the ability to fine tune along with setting lean cruise"

Yes, lol The "added electronics" are the vulnerable ones. Those added electronics seem like such a bargain, we can tune and make things better, but you have "point of failure".

If the black box and the digital distributor were $40 parts that can be purchased locally and returned easily when they fail, it would be more practical. But at $200+, its not worth the risk to me. Or, spend $400 and get something that has a better chance of reliability.

My advise is only here to warn you. You are welcome to roll the dice and I hope you have better success then me.
[email protected] MPH 1/4 Mile & 8.1 @ 83.7MPH in 1/8 Mile with Mild Type 1 VW Mag Case 2234cc commuter engine in stock weight bug w/only .491 total lift(CB2292 Cam), 42x37 heads, 48idf's, Street tires, Belt on, Mufflers, Pump gas, video of the run here: https://youtu.be/M3SPqMOKAOg

Transmission by MCMScott:
Rhino case, Klinkenberg 4.12, Superdiff, 002 mainshaft with 091 first idler. Weddle 1.48 Third & 1.14 Fourth.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Programmable Ignition Reply with quote

HBRag wrote:
I’m tuned for lean cruise at 16:1 AFR, and WOT at 13:1 on DRLA 45’s. The engine runs so cool, I have a hard time getting the oil past 200 degrees. Alan

Just curious, how much lean advance are you running, what CR, fuel octane and what is your fuel mileage?

Thanks Merv
HBRag
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Programmable Ignition Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
HBRag wrote:
I’m tuned for lean cruise at 16:1 AFR, and WOT at 13:1 on DRLA 45’s. The engine runs so cool, I have a hard time getting the oil past 200 degrees. Alan

Just curious, how much lean advance are you running, what CR, fuel octane and what is your fuel mileage?

Thanks Merv

There is a lot to making the combo work, including emulsion tube games on the carbs. The main thing is, none of it is possible with the ignition. I started with a Mallory vacuum advance unit from John, but didn’t have enough ported vacuum to drive it. To make manifold pressure work, I ended up building a vacuum reservoir, flow matching jets, and .3 emulsion tubes. I’m pulling in 41
degrees at part throttle and below 84 kPA, by 96 kPA I have the advance
pulled back to 28 degrees.

The engine is a 2276, 9.3 CR, web 86B cam, early 44x37 044 heads with oval ports, dual 45 DRLA, A1 1 5/8” Side winder with custom heater boxes, all tin and thermostat, factory deck lid, front tin modified for 2” cold air intake. I don’t have mileage numbers on it, cause I got a heavy foot, but it runs cool, starts easy and puts a smile on my face. With 38 mm centuries I have a slight stumble at 2200 RPM, which I and still messing with. With 37mm centuries it’s fine, and I may go back. The long exhaust I think adds to the challenge, and if I ever have back apart I’m going to bump the compression up to 9.6, as I feel I am on the lowest end of it working well. The combo is close, but still hard to tune as is. I would love to try a shorter exhaust and more compression, just not up for the rework right now.

I really like the distributor. The regular Maganaspark and a Black box is another option, which in theory gives one the option to drive home without the electronics. Thing is, if you tune lean cruise it won’t run well without the added advance, so if your gonna plan on pulling electronics out for the ‘limp home’, then, uou might want some 13:1 AFR jets for the tool box too.

If you are not going to pursue a lean cruise, then the regular MagnaSpark distributor is a no brainer. It simple, quick and a known path. The large cap is a plus in my book, as you can run a stronger coil or CDI without a problem.

Alan
tzepesh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:03 am    Post subject: Re: Programmable Ignition Reply with quote

I have Megajolt (crank trigger). It has been on the car for ~10 years, no issues. It took some time to set it properly, decide whether to go with TPS or MAP (now it is MAP), but overall very good setup.
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 3:15 am    Post subject: Re: Programmable Ignition Reply with quote

HBRag wrote:

There is a lot to making the combo work, including emulsion tube games on the carbs. The main thing is, none of it is possible with the ignition. I started with a Mallory vacuum advance unit from John, but didn’t have enough ported vacuum to drive it. To make manifold pressure work, I ended up building a vacuum reservoir, flow matching jets, and .3 emulsion tubes. I’m pulling in 41
Interesting. - I solved that by pulling vacum from both carbs.

The engine is a 2276, 9.3 CR, web 86B cam, early 44x37 044 heads with oval ports, dual 45 DRLA, A1 1 5/8” Side winder with custom heater boxes, all tin and thermostat, factory deck lid, front tin modified for 2” cold air intake. I don’t have mileage numbers on it, cause I got a heavy foot, but it runs cool, starts easy and puts a smile on my face. With 38 mm centuries I have a slight stumble at 2200 RPM, which I and still messing with. With 37mm centuries it’s fine, and I may go back. The long exhaust I think adds to the challenge, and if I ever have back apart I’m going to bump the compression up to 9.6, as I feel I am on the lowest end of it working well. The combo is close, but still hard to tune as is. I would love to try a shorter exhaust and more compression, just not up for the rework right now.
With the 2200 rpm stumble. That is 90% certain due to the acc pump jets. In the first round try and increase the pump squirt with 2 rpm on the nut. If you feel a difference then maybe 2 more. More tyhan that and you need larger pump jets. - It can also be the other way (less) but it most often is not enough. That combo you have is super sweet. I have built some like it. And it is NOT the 9,3 CR that does it or the long primaries.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 5:04 am    Post subject: Re: Programmable Ignition Reply with quote

Alstrup wrote:
HBRag wrote:

Interesting. - I solved that by pulling vacum from both carbs.

With the 2200 rpm stumble. That is 90% certain due to the acc pump jets. In the first round try and increase the pump squirt with 2 rpm on the nut. If you feel a difference then maybe 2 more. More tyhan that and you need larger pump jets. - It can also be the other way (less) but it most often is not enough. That combo you have is super sweet. I have built some like it. And it is NOT the 9,3 CR that does it or the long primaries.

Interesting stuff fellows! I am running 8.4 CR and 87 octane, Ford EDIS 4 and Megajolt at 12* initial and 41* Part throttle advance. 32mpg imperial gallons, was running 14.7 to 15.5 AFR, changed idles to get 15.5 to 16.7 AFR. No change in mileage but now have a very slight hesitation just off idle when going soft on the peddle.

There is another fellow on another site running a 1200cc with 20* initial and 48* part throttle and getting 40 mpg imperial gallons. I don't recall the CR.

I'm thinking of trying a couple more degrees on both ends.

These programable ignition systems are the cat's patootie in my view for this kind of tinkering!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: