Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

what length rods do i need?
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2020 10:14 am    Post subject: what length rods do i need? Reply with quote

hello, off of experience could anyone tell me what the best push rod size for my engine combo. im trying not to have to buy a adjustable push rod tool.

-c35 cam
-elephant feet on scat solid shafts
-i havnt got my heads flycut yet but im aiming for around 8.5-1 cr.

yes, i know it will be hard to tell me without deck height and flycut measurements but will stock length ones work or should i return to this post once ive got the short block assembled?

thanks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ebel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2020 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: what length rods do i need? Reply with quote

You can make an adjustable pushrod from an old stock one. Just need to cut the old one and tap it and add some threaded rod and a nut.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2020 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: what length rods do i need? Reply with quote

Ebel wrote:
You can make an adjustable pushrod from an old stock one. Just need to cut the old one and tap it and add some threaded rod and a nut.

That's what I did for my 1835cc engine in 1986, and it's still running.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2020 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: what length rods do i need? Reply with quote

dittox2. dont get ahead of your self, and do not guess at it or let somebody tell you what it needs with out knowing everything ans seeing it.
Bama Dave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2020 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: what length rods do i need? Reply with quote

Best to spend the $24 than to guess.

1970 Beetle
1971 Super
1972 Baja

hellthorne wrote:
First off, I know i made stupid decisions that led to my predicament, so while you are welcome to tell me that I am an idiot for doing the things I did, please know that I am already aware of this.
bugguy1967
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2020 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: what length rods do i need? Reply with quote

Absolutely no way of knowing. You need the tool and a mag base dial indicator.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: what length rods do i need? Reply with quote

Chickensoup wrote:
hello, off of experience could anyone tell me what the best push rod size for my engine combo. im trying not to have to buy a adjustable push rod tool.

-c35 cam
-elephant feet on scat solid shafts
-i havnt got my heads flycut yet but im aiming for around 8.5-1 cr.

yes, i know it will be hard to tell me without deck height and flycut measurements but will stock length ones work or should i return to this post once ive got the short block assembled?

thanks

Unless you have something really out of whack, you should only need standard push rods. The best thing to do is assemble everything, stick a stock push rod in there and see if you can adjust the valves.

https://www.facebook.com/mofoco?ref=ts&fref=ts

www.mofoco.com

Cylinder Head Reference Sheet
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: what length rods do i need? Reply with quote

All good advice and it's what I expected to hear although now that you've mentioned the diy push rod tool, where can I find directions on how to make em?

Thanks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: what length rods do i need? Reply with quote

Chickensoup wrote:
All good advice and it's what I expected to hear although now that you've mentioned the diy push rod tool, where can I find directions on how to make em?
Thanks

Cut pushrod about 1 inch from one end, cut 1/2 inch off short piece, tap both ends. Insert 1.5 inches of threaded rod into long piece using loctite to secure it, spin on short end.

brad
kangaboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 2:01 pm    Post subject: Re: what length rods do i need? Reply with quote

slalombuggy wrote:
Chickensoup wrote:
Thanks

Cut pushrod about 1 inch from one end, cut 1/2 inch off short piece, tap both ends. Insert 1.5 inches of threaded rod into long piece using loctite to secure it, spin on short end.

brad

Any lubrication issues by removing that oil passage in the stock pushrod?

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
Shocked

that fucking thing looks like it drove through a J.C. Whitney catalogue and hit everything on the way out Laughing
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: what length rods do i need? Reply with quote

kangaboy wrote:
slalombuggy wrote:
Chickensoup wrote:
Thanks

brad

Any lubrication issues by removing that oil passage in the stock pushrod?

The adjustable push rod is a tool to measure the length needed for custom push rods. It is not used in a running engine.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: