Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

68 transmission in 56 t1
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
alabama vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 1:29 pm    Post subject: 68 transmission in 56 t1 Reply with quote

Good evening from the uk.

Iv just found out that the gears are stripped in my 56 transmission, i have a good 4 stud transmission here i was hoping to use for the time being until i get the original rebuilt.

Am i right in that it will work with my 5 stud drums as long as i use the correct backing plates for them and fit a spacer due to the shafts apparently being longer?

I have done a search but there are so many different opinions its left me a more unsure than a previously was.

Thanks for your help.
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 68 transmission in 56 t1 Reply with quote

Gonna need a bus nose cone too.
66brm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: 68 transmission in 56 t1 Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
Gonna need a bus nose cone too.

And hockey stick

modok wrote:
I am an expert at fitting things in holes, been doing it a long time
jeffrey8164 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: 68 transmission in 56 t1 Reply with quote

Can’t he just use the nose cone and hockey stick from his original tranny?
I really don’t know how different the early ones are from late.

“Let he that is without oil throw the first rod”
(Compression 8.7:1)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
alabama vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 68 transmission in 56 t1 Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice guys,

Can i just question the need for a hockey stick - i was under the impression the hockey stick used in a 61-79 bug is the same as a 60-67 bus?

Thanks
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: 68 transmission in 56 t1 Reply with quote

You will need both the Bus nose cone, and Bus hockey stick. You can run the early backing plates/drums by adding a spacer under the axle nut to take up the extra length of the axles. You’ll need to use the 68 axle/backing plate caps. Keep in mind this will widen your rear track a little with the long axles/tubes.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
volksworld
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2020 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: 68 transmission in 56 t1 Reply with quote

the bus hockey stick has a different curve on the end where it goes into the shiftrails
petrol punk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2020 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: 68 transmission in 56 t1 Reply with quote

Don't know about the nosecone but do use the later backing plates and bearing caps. Pre-58 rear backing plates are 4.5mm thick, in '58 backing plates were made 5mm thick. That 0.5mm difference is enough to cause issues with swing axles seals leaking. Easier to use the later brakes than swap the axle tubes around.
gears
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 8:14 am    Post subject: Re: 68 transmission in 56 t1 Reply with quote

Quote:
.. i was under the impression the hockey stick used in a 61-79 bug is the same as a 60-67 bus? ..

No, the Bus version nosecone (& hockey stick) locate the hockeystick 25mm lower ... perfect for installing the later tunnelcase trans in a '50s Bug.
'87 Syncro GL 2.5
https://guardtransaxle.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: 68 transmission in 56 t1 Reply with quote

Their is a front trans mount that makes them fit, but it's solid mount Wink
76 Drag/Street bug 2180cc 'Turbo' 11:85 @113 mph"If I go any faster I'll burn up the Hamster" ,gets 28 mpg. also 10/09/22 11.90 @115 mph
"If I'm ever on Life Support,UNPLUG Me, Then Plug me back In see if that Works"
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: