Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Recent experience in CA with Subaru 2.2-2.5 Conversion
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vanwich
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:36 pm    Post subject: Recent experience in CA with Subaru 2.2-2.5 Conversion Reply with quote

I have looked through several of the posts on subaru conversions, but have not found any recent threads describing folks' experience putting a Subaru 2.2 or 2.5 in their Vanagon and successfully navigating CA smog.

I'm especially interested in any CA customers who have done the smallcar.com conversion from air cooled to 2.2-2.5 Subaru. Did you have any issues with smog? It's not a "Kennedy" conversion so (my understanding is) there is no bar code or placard to rely on.

And if you have a smog shop willing to test your subaru conversion in the SF Bay Area, please let me know what shop you use - it seems clear from the other posts that it's really important to work with a knowledgeable smog shop.

Thanks to all in advance for any advice!
Vnyd Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Recent experience in CA with Subaru 2.2-2.5 Conversion Reply with quote

SMOG is a PITA for us but that's the way it is. Best source is going to the source, Bureau of Automotive Repair. If SmallCar doesn't have the placard, and why would they not being in CA, my recollection is you'd need to go to the BAR for "approval"/placard and then do SMOG when called in...
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Recent experience in CA with Subaru 2.2-2.5 Conversion Reply with quote

There is this thread about 2.5 in California.......

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=502340&highlight=2.5+subaru

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Recent experience in CA with Subaru 2.2-2.5 Conversion Reply with quote

You want easy go 2.2 Kennedy. Many have done otherways. Spend the money with Kennedy get the number, then intelligently go as you wish.
nsmal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Recent experience in CA with Subaru 2.2-2.5 Conversion Reply with quote

I’ve been curious myself how people go about a conversion in CA without the Kennedy EO decal. I just did my conversion less than 6 months ago with the Kennedy components.

The Kennedy stuff is definitely not the best, especially for a Syncro, but it is the cheapest/minimal way to get up and running, and you get the smog decal. If I keep my van for a few years the Kennedy hardware will probably slowly get replaced.
newerwesty1987
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:59 am    Post subject: Re: Recent experience in CA with Subaru 2.2-2.5 Conversion Reply with quote

nsmal wrote:
....especially for a Syncro..

Why is that?
nsmal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: Recent experience in CA with Subaru 2.2-2.5 Conversion Reply with quote

newerwesty1987 wrote:
nsmal wrote:
....especially for a Syncro..

Why is that?

1. Kennedy engine crossmember isn’t compatible with the stock engine guard, leaving it exposed. Also the crossmember hangs pretty low
2. Exhaust system isn’t very conformal and is also very exposed. I have pretty significant dents on the front crossover tube already
3. Muffler is oriented so that it cuts into the departure angle quite a bit (needlessly; they could have designed the components so that the muffler is rolled up into the chassis more)

Basically a combination of leaving the engine components exposed to damage and reduced ground clearance/departure angle. Not great for off-roading in a Syncro
termuehlen Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: Recent experience in CA with Subaru 2.2-2.5 Conversion Reply with quote

nsmal wrote:
I’ve been curious myself how people go about a conversion in CA without the Kennedy EO decal. I just did my conversion less than 6 months ago with the Kennedy components.

Some information here:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...p;start=20

PM me if you want to know more.
izzydog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: Recent experience in CA with Subaru 2.2-2.5 Conversion Reply with quote

Quote:
And if you have a smog shop willing to test your subaru conversion in the SF Bay Area, please let me know what shop you use

I used 7-Day Smog in Berkeley (maybe Oakland) when I had a 2.2 in my Syncro. They are very knowledgeable and would be great folks to talk to if you are really considering trying to get a 2.5 passed here in CA. (really?)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Recent experience in CA with Subaru 2.2-2.5 Conversion Reply with quote

I would go the other way. Find a place that knows nothing about vanagons, a place out of the way in a sketchy part of town. Don't say nothing. Get a pretest. Passed cool. Get it done. Now you have a smog. Keep the paperwork. Bring it back in two years to same place. Show them the paperwork with their name. Cool they see that passed before let's get this done and out the door get paid.

If not do it right go to ref. Talk to them figure it out. Get magical bar code.
vegpedlr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Recent experience in CA with Subaru 2.2-2.5 Conversion Reply with quote

Talk to Marco’s gang at the Buslab.
markswagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:34 am    Post subject: Re: Recent experience in CA with Subaru 2.2-2.5 Conversion Reply with quote

I talked with Marco at buses by the bridge 3 years ago, he mentioned they were going to do it, I've not heard one word about it since, you'd think they'd advertise if they'd got it sorted.
The difficult biting Ettinger the donor EJ22 bits for sensible $
The last complete car here in San Diego I saw for sale was $1500, as it was pristine.
Right now I have two harnesses with ECU's, and intakes, and 4 maybe 5 people who want a conversion, but no engines.

vegpedlr wrote:
Talk to Marco’s gang at the Buslab.

619 201 0310
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: Recent experience in CA with Subaru 2.2-2.5 Conversion Reply with quote

Just a couple days ago I checked for 90-94 2.2 donor Subaru cars on Craigslist. There were NONE listed in SF, LA, SD, at any price. I'm sure they come and go for sale but the point is that 25-30 year old Subarus are getting both long in the tooth and much more rare. Kennedy got their CARB Executive Order 25 years ago when the donor cars were dime a dozen and low miles.

Mark
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Recent experience in CA with Subaru 2.2-2.5 Conversion Reply with quote

It is interesting that you can not see the embossed EJ22 if you have the Subaru Sport Gauge setup installed.......

BTW: There are EJ22 blocks around too......

You can build the most fun Frankenmotors too.

All looks the same.

Just saying.

NOTE I kinda of do not actually like the OBD I / SSM 1 because of the hassles of reading diags. Only a couple of programs do it and only two are viable today IF IF IF your ROM happens to line up (mine does so I left it SSM1.)

PLUS the OBD 2 harness is so much simpler. And the reading options better PLUS you can still use SSM but it is SSM 2 which is OK, too.....

If you have any harness, you can actually run almost any engine too.

Lots of things you can do to make a compliant setup.

In other words more than one way to skin the cat.

Have fun!

EDIT: I am looking for more go myself. Long grades are wanting to shift to third when the van is loaded up. It is either going to be just cams or a fresh hot rod motor (ala JDM.)

FURTHER: While on this topic, it is really the cat they are looking for. NOT the crappy Kennedy mount. They are looking to see if the charcoal canister is plumbed in (which I have noticed does not mean actually working.) All the smog bits are there. While the sticker is nice, they do not look at it. Keep the EO in the glove box. Only show if asked. My exhaust is now old. Looks like it has been there forever. Looks stock as it really is with correct flanges welded on and a stock muffler and end pipe. It all looks like it is original. A clean install goes a long way.

BTW: My cat is the correct cat with the correct number on it. It is turned so the number is very easy to read. It is NOT cheap. It is the CA cat. It is the cat listed on the current EO. This is the critical item.

As a final thought, do NOT worry so much. It is not that big a deal.

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)

Last edited by r39o on Fri Aug 09, 2019 1:45 pm; edited 2 times in total
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 1:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Recent experience in CA with Subaru 2.2-2.5 Conversion Reply with quote

r39o wrote:
It is interesting that you can not see the embossed EJ22 if you have the Subaru Sport Gauge setup installed.......

BTW: There are EJ22 blocks around too......

You can build the most fun Frankenmotors too.

All looks the same.

Just saying.

If you have any harness, you can actually run almost any engine too.

Lots of things you can do to make a compliant setup.

In other words more than one way to skin the cat.

Have fun!

)

Big hints here. Read between the lines
dgbeatty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 2:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Recent experience in CA with Subaru 2.2-2.5 Conversion Reply with quote

You cast a 2.2 from a real 2.2 in epoxy/aluminium. Then bond it over 2.5. Done.
11BC2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Recent experience in CA with Subaru 2.2-2.5 Conversion Reply with quote

My 2006 ej253 BAR’d swap with a Subaru 5spd. This is a “during” picture.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Recent experience in CA with Subaru 2.2-2.5 Conversion Reply with quote

11BC2 wrote:
This is a “during” picture.

So “during” the acceptance that exhaust remained in place? Smile

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Recent experience in CA with Subaru 2.2-2.5 Conversion Reply with quote

[quote="11BC2" This is a “during” picture. [/quote]

So “during” the acceptance that exhaust remained in place?

termuehlen Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: Recent experience in CA with Subaru 2.2-2.5 Conversion Reply with quote

11BC2 wrote:
My 2006 ej253 BAR’d swap with a Subaru 5spd. This is a “during” picture.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This is the first BAR approved ej25 swap I have seen on the Samba. Could you provide any additional information? How did you manage the Subaru fuel "map" inputs?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: