Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Subaru mechanics in PNW that are willing to work on conversions?
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
donnyk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 5:03 pm    Post subject: Subaru mechanics in PNW that are willing to work on conversions? Reply with quote

This feels like it shouldn't be a dumb question but after calling subaru shops it seems like one...

I'm just looking for a shop that will work on an engine specific issue (cam seal replacement) for my EJ25. I keep getting turned down. VW shops are expensive as hell and there's a long wait time. Do any of you guys in the Seattle area (who don't fix every problem on your own) have a subaru mechanic you'd recommend, or do you always bring it to a VW shop?

Apologies if I shouldn't even ask this here

* * * Moderator edit* * *

Shops that work on Subaru-converted Vanagons:
  • Small Car Performance - Fife, WA
  • PeaceVans - Seattle, WA
  • NorthWesty - Renton, WA
  • Eion's Automotive - Seattle, WA
  • All Wheel Drive Auto - Kirkland, WA
  • Drive Auto Sports - Woodinville, WA

• T & R Automotive - Salem, OR

• FW Motorsports - Rocklin, CA

• Affordable German - Phoenix, AZ
  • Biel's Auto - Prescott, AZ
DirtyBlueVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru mechanics in PNW that are willing to work on conversions? Reply with quote

small car performance is in Tacoma
newerwesty1987
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru mechanics in PNW that are willing to work on conversions? Reply with quote

Just go to a well rated (yelp) Japanese car shop. A lot of independents know more than the actual labeled shops do anyway and will surely be more open minded. I know of two near me that dont care about the swaps at all.
hogan029
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru mechanics in PNW that are willing to work on conversions? Reply with quote

If you need cam seals, it's a good time to "while you are in there"..food for thought.
wesitarz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:28 am    Post subject: Re: Subaru mechanics in PNW that are willing to work on conversions? Reply with quote

Any independent mechanic who can do a Subaru timing belt should be able to do it. If you have a Smallcar engine carrier it involves unbuttoning the muffler, moustache bar and carrier to get at the full timing cover. Smallcar might be your best bet.
markswagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:40 am    Post subject: Re: Subaru mechanics in PNW that are willing to work on conversions? Reply with quote

While I can't give you the name of a shop, you should be looking for someone who modifies Subaru's, race rally, what ever, someone who is used to modifying them, shouldn't have a problem with a conversion, peoplease who are only used to stock Subarus won't go near it because it's not stock.

donnyk wrote:
This feels like it shouldn't be a dumb question but after calling subaru shops it seems like one...

I'm just looking for a shop that will work on an engine specific issue (cam seal replacement) for my EJ25. I keep getting turned down. VW shops are expensive as hell and there's a long wait time. Do any of you guys in the Seattle area (who don't fix every problem on your own) have a subaru mechanic you'd recommend, or do you always bring it to a VW shop?

619 201 0310
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:48 am    Post subject: Re: Subaru mechanics in PNW that are willing to work on conversions? Reply with quote

I assume you called PeaceVans and Northwesty? I'm guessing they're the ones who are expensive and a month out.

Try Greg's Japanese auto.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
Corwyn Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: Subaru mechanics in PNW that are willing to work on conversions? Reply with quote

DirtyBlueVan wrote:
small car performance is in Tacoma

X2.

Fife, Washington to be exact: https://smallcar.com/
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604813&highlight=baja

"If anything's" gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there"
~ Captain Ron ~
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RainierSyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 2:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru mechanics in PNW that are willing to work on conversions? Reply with quote

If you stop at Small Car in Fife, hit Pick-Quick down the street for a burger.
11BC2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru mechanics in PNW that are willing to work on conversions? Reply with quote

You could drive down to my Subaru shop in Rocklin, CA. We're swapped Vanagon friendly and there's a pretty decent brewpub 67m out our front door!

donnyk wrote:

Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 6:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru mechanics in PNW that are willing to work on conversions? Reply with quote

How come this question isn't brought up more when discussing swaps? I wouldn't touch a non-VW engine shoe-horned into a VW at my shop. And I assume the offbrand shop wouldn't mess with a bastardized VW in theirs. There's no profit in climbing the learning curve when there are other more relevant projects waiting. Simple maths.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
AZ Landshaper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru mechanics in PNW that are willing to work on conversions? Reply with quote

I can under stand the zitguest but theres a lot of swaps out there and for anyone with a price strategy theres still a profit to be made. And apparently the market is ripe for a qualified shop to step up to the plate.

try Pacific import auto

-------------------------------------------------------
85 Weekender w/ EJ22
Previously
64, 71, 72, 73, 76, 81, 84, 85 & 87 Campmobiles and Westfalias
and a 67 bug.
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru mechanics in PNW that are willing to work on conversions? Reply with quote

AZ Landshaper wrote:
I can under stand the zitguest...

Hmmm...

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
wesitarz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru mechanics in PNW that are willing to work on conversions? Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
How come this question isn't brought up more when discussing swaps? I wouldn't touch a non-VW engine shoe-horned into a VW at my shop. And I assume the offbrand shop wouldn't mess with a bastardized VW in theirs. There's no profit in climbing the learning curve when there are other more relevant projects waiting. Simple maths.

Simple math() Zeitgeist. A mechanic didn't do my swap. I did. A mechanic has not touched my Japanese swapped engine in 16 years and counting and I'm not a mechanic.Shoehorned? Hardly. The German 2.1 WBX was a POS.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru mechanics in PNW that are willing to work on conversions? Reply with quote

I did my own swap as well, but that's not what the OP was asking about.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 3:05 am    Post subject: Re: Subaru mechanics in PNW that are willing to work on conversions? Reply with quote

wesitarz wrote:
Zeitgeist 13 wrote:

Simple math() Zeitgeist. A mechanic didn't do my swap. I did. A mechanic has not touched my Japanese swapped engine in 16 years and counting and I'm not a mechanic.Shoehorned? Hardly. The German 2.1 WBX was a POS.

That’s evidence there is no money in working on these, isn’t it! Oil changes, brake jobs , And timing belts are 10x more profitable than engine work. No surprises, no supply chain management, and it’s in and out , like clockwork orange.

You can charge four hours labor on a Tb and do it in one. Kaching.
donnyk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru mechanics in PNW that are willing to work on conversions? Reply with quote

I agree this should be discussed more. I'd think a japanese/subaru shop would be happy to look at something different but what Zeitgeist said seems to be true as I called 8 shops and they just won't work on it.

I appreciate all your input but I'll choose between peacevans/northwesty/small car even though it's solely the subaru engine that needs work...

thank you 11bc2 for the invite but I'm trying to find a little bit of a closer place Very Happy
ledogboy Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru mechanics in PNW that are willing to work on conversions? Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:

It isn’t as though the average VW shop is going to be comfortable working on a 1.8t swap.
Some people call him Maurice...
levi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru mechanics in PNW that are willing to work on conversions? Reply with quote

hogan029 wrote:
If you need cam seals, it's a good time to "while you are in there"..food for thought.

Also, there IS a difference between black seals and brown seals.
It's been a lot of years since I pulled out the last subaru engine, so I don't remember which, but one of those will leak sooner than the other. Btdt.
Basically, whichever one is being sold by your local pep boys type shop is the wrong one.
gonna see life my way

https://youtu.be/cSrL0BXsO40
pnwkayaker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru mechanics in PNW that are willing to work on conversions? Reply with quote

Both me and my wife drive Subaru cars and service them at All Wheel Drive Auto (http://allwheeldriveauto.com) in Kirkland. The other day it occurred to me to ask the main guy down there

- "So, this might sound weird, but do you guys service Subaru engines installed on non-Subaru cars?"
- "You mean, like a Vanagon?"

I almost fell to floor when he said that!

It turned out that they haven't worked on any converted van yet, but they've heard about it and are not opposed to the idea of working with them - in fact, they're intrigued by it. He also mentioned that their sister shop Drive Auto Sports (http://www.driveautosports.com) located in Woodinville might be even more suited to deal with with a Sub conversion, since they have no problems working with special cars.

So that's it - I haven't brought my Syncro to them yet, but I might do that to get a second opinion on a potential pressure leak on my EJ25 (they do a great job on our regular Subarus). I might probably start at All Wheel Drive Auto first to get an idea of how they deal with a Suby on a VW, and might ask Drive Auto Sports afterwards (somehow I imagine the Woodinville shop will be more expensive than the Kirkland shop).

Seattle Meetup at Marymoor (link)
A collection of Simple Useful Mods (SUM) (link)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: