Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Input Shaft Seal install
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
richierich
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:17 pm    Post subject: Input Shaft Seal install Reply with quote

Not long put a new input shaft seal in my Type 1 trans - used one of the good, Black seals and has been in a couple months but I'm now I'm getting a bit of slip in 3rd. I put this that seal in because the last one had leaked so seems like it's happened again.

Going to pull the motor and put another one in so, anyone got any tips for extra sealing or is there anything specific to do in preparation that I may not have done previously?

Cheers
jeffrey8164 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Input Shaft Seal install Reply with quote

Not really. Just make sure all the surfaces are ultra clean and smooth. Put a little grease on the seal to help it go in without tearing.
Standard stuff.

“Let he that is without oil throw the first rod”
(Compression 8.7:1)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Input Shaft Seal install Reply with quote

Thought I remember something about if it keeps leaking something is worn out inside. Moving around too much. I could be wrong though.
rugblaster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Input Shaft Seal install Reply with quote

You might check the needle bearing in the gland nut. It supports that end of the input shaft... Those seals typically last a very long time.

VWoA factory trained line tech 75 till 90 or so
ASE Master Certification
VWoA Assoc. of Quality Technicians inductee (One of 25 in the five state southwest region)
La Confrerie des Chevaliers du Tastevin (San Angelo Chapter)
TCU ......GO FROGS!!!!!!
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Input Shaft Seal install Reply with quote

You sure its not the flywheel seal? Just wrapping up a 74 Super that was leaking at the tranny/bellhousing. Bellhousing was soaked and was the throw out etc. I replaced the input shaft seal anyway since it looked pretty old, but the real culprit was the flywheel seal. Was able to reuse the throw out and pressure plate after cleaning them and the flywheel up, but the clutch disc went in the trash.
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 4:57 am    Post subject: Re: Input Shaft Seal install Reply with quote

richierich wrote:
Not long put a new input shaft seal in my Type 1 trans - used one of the good, Black seals and has been in a couple months but I'm now I'm getting a bit of slip in 3rd. I put this that seal in because the last one had leaked so seems like it's happened again.

Going to pull the motor and put another one in so, anyone got any tips for extra sealing or is there anything specific to do in preparation that I may not have done previously?

Cheers

One of the good black seals? I had one leak on me and sourced an Elring German seal to replace it. To install I used a length of pipe to fit over the main shaft. It is quite easy to differentiate between engine oil and transmission oil by smell, remember that.

An oil soaked clutch disc itself is not a reason to scrap a part. Oil damage occurs over time so if you had a situation where the leak happened suddenly and you got to it within a few days the oil would not have time to permeate the friction material.

In this instance you can it using brake Kleen or lacquer thinner to remove oil. Old timers like John Muir suggested using white gas followed by lighting it off to burn for a few seconds. White gas was in fact Ammoco 97 octane unleaded pump gas and we also used it Coleman lanterns.

If you are running a business it may be quicker to just install new and bill the customers rather than trying to save a part. After you’ve seen a bunch of oil soaked parts you’ll know when to save and when to discard.
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 5:17 am    Post subject: Re: Input Shaft Seal install Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:

One of the good black seals? I had one leak on me and sourced an Elring German seal to replace it. To install I used a length of pipe to fit over the main shaft. It is quite easy to differentiate between engine oil and transmission oil by smell, remember that.

An oil soaked clutch disc itself is not a reason to scrap a part. Oil damage occurs over time so if you had a situation where the leak happened suddenly and you got to it within a few days the oil would not have time to permeate the friction material.

In this instance you can it using brake Kleen or lacquer thinner to remove oil. Old timers like John Muir suggested using white gas followed by lighting it off to burn for a few seconds. White gas was in fact Ammoco 97 octane unleaded pump gas and we also used it Coleman lanterns.

If you are running a business it may be quicker to just install new and bill the customers rather than trying to save a part. After you’ve seen a bunch of oil soaked parts you’ll know when to save and when to discard.

School me - I was always under the impression that porous materials like a clutch disc or brake shoe or pad should not be reused if contaminated. That cleaning may only remove the contaminant from the surface and it will migrate back over time. The cost of a clutch disc relative to the labor cost of pulling the engine and repeating the replacement is a bargain IMHO.
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 5:56 am    Post subject: Re: Input Shaft Seal install Reply with quote

Again if you get right on it before it soaks in you can clean it. We did this all the time especially for people with not a lot of money. It becomes a judgement call but you are running a shop may not want to gamble on reuse. Same for brake shoes. I’m sure we get opinions to just replace regardless but I’m a guy that would reuse especially if it were my own ride. Some of the single moms and others pinching pennies we could help this way telling them up front we could save on repairs using reconditioned parts. I can see it both ways maybe there’s not a right answer.
Bruce Amacker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 6:51 am    Post subject: Re: Input Shaft Seal install Reply with quote

I've had zero success cleaning oil soaked discs in years past using a variety of methods. They are discarded and a new one installed, especially when they're so cheap.
'66- http://www.leakoil.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=2888&sid=54d8dedfb3822f99c7f2ea430cb4e856
'65- http://leakoil.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4263
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:37 am    Post subject: Re: Input Shaft Seal install Reply with quote

< $20 for a new disk.. IDK, maybe since I'm starting to get older, or maybe it's the injury I've put into my body over the years, I'd not risk another engine pull to attempt to clean a disk that had oil on it.

Brakes with oil/grease? No way in hell I'd try to save. That's you're life.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: Input Shaft Seal install Reply with quote

I'd NEVER use an oily disc no matter what it looked like after "cleaning".

Do you clean and re-use wet brake shoes too?
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
richierich
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Input Shaft Seal install Reply with quote

Thanks for all the replies fellas.

Seal was new when the motor last went in - motors done about 800 miles since. And the motor had just been refreshed and a brand new top qual gland nut fitted. Definitely not the rear main oil seal on the motor as it is trans fluid. Clutch disc was a new Daikin too.

Theres something with the seal fitments me thinks.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 4:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Input Shaft Seal install Reply with quote

richierich wrote:
Definitely not the rear main oil seal on the motor

Front seal, not rear.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
richierich
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Input Shaft Seal install Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
richierich wrote:
Definitely not the rear main oil seal on the motor

Front seal, not rear.

Yes, of course - well spotted.
Casting Timmy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 5:46 am    Post subject: Re: Input Shaft Seal install Reply with quote

Check the shaft for a grove worn in it from past seals. There should also be a different metal piece behind the seal that is a tube with an internal thread pattern to help oil go back into the case. (Not really threads, but internal spiral grove)

Check the pilot bearing as said previously, the seals typically don't leak like that.

A trans will blow pressure out of other seals if it can't breath, check the nose cone vent for being free and clear.
mcmscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: Input Shaft Seal install Reply with quote

Casting Timmy wrote:
Check the shaft for a grove worn in it from past seals. There should also be a different metal piece behind the seal that is a tube with an internal thread pattern to help oil go back into the case. (Not really threads, but internal spiral grove)

Check the pilot bearing as said previously, the seals typically don't leak like that.

A trans will blow pressure out of other seals if it can't breath, check the nose cone vent for being free and clear.

T-1's dont use the tube you are refering to.

68 Ghia
67 T-1
65 Notch
02 Mexican beetle
74 Thing
15 Long travel rail
07 Nomad
05 f-250
Casting Timmy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 12:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Input Shaft Seal install Reply with quote

Drats you're right. There's a couple 091's locally that had leaking fronts, one had that conversion piece for the late throw out bearing. The other one was to an adaptor motor conversion and the pilot bearing was gone.

I'm more used to the T1 boxes leaking with the flanges on IRS.

Do you think it's too much windage inside the box or a set up problem?
chrisflstf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2023 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Input Shaft Seal install Reply with quote

Are the trans input shaft seals universal - 50 to 79?

Rancho Trans list 2 - 65 and earlier and 66 and later?

https://ranchotransaxles.com/shop
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: