Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

"The Samba" For Sale compared to Production (by year)
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
harrymarlin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:51 pm    Post subject: "The Samba" For Sale compared to Production (by year) Reply with quote

All,

This may be totally uninteresting for most, but as I did the work, I thought I would post the results.

I was interested in the relative number of cars for sale on The Samba for specific years, and saw a few interesting items (see below for raw data).

* In terms of numbers, 67 has *by far* more for sale than any other year, even though it had a relatively low production (it was a dip year). Why is that?
* Only 6 years show The Samba for sale more than .01% of the total Beetle production for the year: 52, 55, 56, 57, 67, 79 (with the most being 56 - I wonder why). That still seems *huge*.
* Not surprisingly (in my mind), 79 is the next largest percentage of bugs being sold - I'm guessing because this was considered a collector year?

Note, I tracked both Samba for sales to US sales and Samba to total Production. This was because the later sales are almost all US, while the early sales (such as 51, 52) are almost all non-US.

Final note: This shows how popular The Samba is for Beetle sales - there is *no* place like it (well, I could do a comparison with eBay)!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

- Harry
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 6:19 am    Post subject: Re: "The Samba" For Sale compared to Production (by year) Reply with quote

Very Happy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XcKBmdfpWs
harrymarlin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: "The Samba" For Sale compared to Production (by year) Reply with quote

Ha ha - yes, maybe. It might also be trying to avoid other work... Wink

And this is kind of fun! I was surprised at how many 67s seem to be for sale and around, given it was a low year.

-Harry
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: "The Samba" For Sale compared to Production (by year) Reply with quote

Interesting on the 67s.

I guess that might be a whole other topic but maybe more of them lasted because they were 12-volt and had a lot of features that made people keep them longer?
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wheel607
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: "The Samba" For Sale compared to Production (by year) Reply with quote

You should try and separate out the convertibles from the beetles in 1967. At a very low production rate of about 8000, this is one of the lowest production numbers(convertible) VW has. And at 52 years, it has been estimated (2015) there are only about 3500 still around.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: