Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Dad's 1964 Ruby Red Beetle
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 48, 49, 50  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Adriel Rowley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 5:03 pm    Post subject: Dad's 1964 Ruby Red Beetle Reply with quote

Dad purchased Ruby in mid October 1968, the second owner. Sadly, in the 1980s she was stolen by a vending machine robber (convicted of armed robbery because carried a knife) and lost all her paperwork plus her black and yellow plates. Dad remembers one of her dates is Bastille Day, though the birth certificate (which is currently lost in all the boxes of papers) says born in January 1964. Do see lists as a tourist, so wondering if that could mean they traveled Europe over the Spring and that date was import?

Then the call from the police doing a welfare check on Dad last Sunday in June informed he had passed in his sleep, turned 72 in November so unexpected (all the other family passing well into their 80s and even into their 90s, Oma was 98 ).

Going though a bag of magazines, I found the will stating I was the next custodian of the Beetle. I knew this, made it easier having that. So, contacted Jeff at Four Corners and had her shipped to Arizona. First though, had to be moved for putting the dumpster in the drive and to do that, the juniper had to be trimmed (some brilliant person in the 1950s planted it at the edge of the drive).
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

There she is!

Sure nice to have the dollies and even nicer to have my Brother's help (I was pulling on the front).

And the temporary spot.

We made sure my niece and nephew got to sit in the driver's seat, unlike us children (except me one time because Dad needed me to push the brake pedal though being 12 was a tad bit of a reach). We loved seeing them enjoying it and the different personalities (he wanted to go for a long drive while operating everything and she just wanted a drive). My hope is they come out to see me and when able to, drive her as they most likely will be the next custodians.

Without asking or even the adults saying anything about cleaning, my niece got a broom and went to work. She is turning out to be an amazing person, hopefully continues though her life. Ruby had been sitting for about 15 years so was a lot of work.

An amazing friend named Jack gave me four wheels with rolling tyres that for some reason came on a Notchback. Without that, getting her onto the transporter be really difficult if not nearly impossible.

We got most of Oma and Opa's house cleared out (three generations of stuff to resolve) though my Aunt in a hurry to grab everything of her parents would dump piles of stuff in the front garden, hard not to cry. To make it worse, dumper didn't get taken away when promised, so couldn't go forward and through the garden and tight squeeze going back. Can always make lemonade.

Then when when the driver and I tried moving, despite all four drums not stuck to the shoes, was hardly moving. So, I asked about using his straps as had the idea to use the UHaul; work smart not hard. That was the way to do it. Was really wishing had cash on hand to tip and he dropped with no one there so again couldn't.

Ruby moving to a new home, end of 50 and about a half years at the same home, same parking spot on the drive (except few years at other homes a few times).

Next installment later, time to supper. Hope y'all enjoying joining me on the journey of getting her back on the road.

Dad's 1964 Beetle purchased September 1968.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9252810#9252810

1971 Sunroof Squareback with Fuel Injection
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=219811&highlight=squareback+rejuvenation
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Dad's 1964 Ruby Red Beetle Reply with quote

Don’t throw nothing away till you are positive it ain’t needed. Most new parts are crap try to refurbish what you can. Fabulous story lotsa help here just ask Very Happy I’d try some rubbing compound and then wax the paint to see what you have, you might be surprised

Last edited by Zundfolge1432 on Thu Aug 08, 2019 5:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Dad's 1964 Ruby Red Beetle Reply with quote

Looking forward to much more!
Adriel Rowley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Dad's 1964 Ruby Red Beetle Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
Don’t throw nothing away till you are positive it ain’t needed. Most new parts are crap try to refurbish what you can.

I made that mistake with his College friend's Squareback and still kicking myself (tossed the carpet because moldy not knowing that the heater grommets are no longer available).

Dad was a hoarder, he literally kept everything and also would purchase things that then get busy (didn't help my bio mother dragged him through a nasty divorce) and not go on (like lap belts for the rear seats for us children which either go on the front or in the rear if go with front shoulder belts). So far just got a couple boxes, I know there is a lot missing and hoping they are in his storage unit, rather than him tossing. Did find one box of Beetle parts from storage outside, thankfully most were not susceptible to the rain. Goodness, even saved the ignition switch which the thief jammed a screwdriver into, only part so far I have tossed.

The really interesting find was a bumper in the garage attic. It has been there since I can remember, wrapped in a heavy paper, almost cardboard. Dad said it was the bent rear bumper from when rear ended, grabbed it in the few minutes allowed in the garage, and only after got home did I unwrap. Which transitions into the next topic.

Being rebuilding the fuel pump was a bust (Wolfsburg West filter too thick so the cap isn't sitting strait and they refuse to remediate) decided to go have fun and unwrap the bumper.

My goodness, a brand new front bumper! Shocked It's Brazilian, isn't it?

Some reason the picture after polish my cellular corrupted. Still has pits, though being on the front, a new bumper get pitted quickly anyway and I am on a budget (get $400 a month from the Special Needs Trust to live on). Plus, as time goes on, leaning to doing the restoration like Dad would have if he didn't have a garage (and didn't restore as didn't have a garage to keep it safe, stolen twice so understandable his concern).

Also, since Dad and I were going to do the restoration together, I bought some engine parts. I have a set of square boss 77mm heads (not knowing they were different and take the super rare 193mm upper head studs) and a set of barely used pistons and cylinders (still would have them gone over by a machine shop and new rings) that I got for free years ago (he thought all single port stuff is rubbish). Not planning to rebuild at this point unless necessary, only 247,000 miles on the rebuild. Save that for another installment, so much to say forget to say some things... Laundry calls.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=219811&highlight=squareback+rejuvenation

Last edited by Adriel Rowley on Thu Aug 08, 2019 7:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Adriel Rowley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Dad's 1964 Ruby Red Beetle Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
Looking forward to much more!

Appreciated.

rcooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 7:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Dad's 1964 Ruby Red Beetle Reply with quote

Adriel Rowley wrote:
My goodness, a brand new front bumper! It's Brazilian, isn't it?

That's an aftermarket bumper. You can tell by the rubber grommet at the point where the towel bars meet the blade.

Looks like that '64 will be a great starting point for a resto project...should be a sweet ride when you're done.
'69.5 Ghia convertible and
'62, '63, '65, '69 Bugs (all long gone)
Adriel Rowley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Dad's 1964 Ruby Red Beetle Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
Fabulous story lotsa help here just ask Very Happy

Oh, you want more? Razz Very Happy

All three of us children brought home from the hospital in her, as Dad didn't want us having us say we were brought home in the Chevy Vega or for my Sister in a 1987 Dodge Grand Caravan.

I love how my Dad secured the baby seat and I so well. Wink Laughing

This shows the original interior. My Aunt left all of Oma and Opa's letters in their dressers and being the family archivist and genealogist, I couldn't leave. Oddly and amazingly, find a letter from bio mother to Oma asking her to contribute to the cost of having Ruby's interior redone. Shocked This is fantastic as gives a date of 1989 if memory serves and a cost (which in my eyes a bit high especially since there are a few issues). I asked Dad why he went from grey to red and cream, said because grey was dark and depressing, though not sure why he picked cream. The amusing thing is that it also happens the same exact colors he used on one of his control line models as a lad.

Dad never drove faster than 45MPH once he rebuilt the engine in the 1970s, as being the engineer and member of Sigma Pi Sigma, studied the impact of driving faster, finding made no appreciable difference of how much sooner he get to work and best fuel economy. It terrify us children at times how close those vehicles come up on Ruby, though Dad was never phased. She did many trips, including the 105 110 mile trips to the twice a year model airplane kit shows, and at least a couple times the 240 mile drive to Bakersfield plus Shafter to see relatives. I remember the last trip, when was 12 years old, falling asleep on the window edge with the engine vibrating my head senseless, though so tired crashed and woke up with a neck crick. Even then wished for reclining seats like the other vehicles had. Probably why about 247,000 miles on the rebuilt, never been apart. The insides of the heads are spotless, no carbon buildup or varnish at all.

wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Dad's 1964 Ruby Red Beetle Reply with quote

Adriel Rowley wrote:

Being rebuilding the fuel pump was a bust (Wolfsburg West filter too thick so the cap isn't sitting strait and they refuse to remediate) decided to go have fun and unwrap the bumper.

PM me if you need help or suggestions to fix your fuel pump. I'm not following what part from their kit didn't work.

Great, original bug. As someone mentioned, some light rubbing compound and wax will make that paint shine.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
Adriel Rowley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Dad's 1964 Ruby Red Beetle Reply with quote

rcooled wrote:
Adriel Rowley wrote:
My goodness, a brand new front bumper! It's Brazilian, isn't it?

That's an aftermarket bumper. You can tell by the rubber grommet at the point where the towel bars meet the blade.

My thought too, plus the fit is awful. Though with a good set of bumper brackets can give her a strait smile (right now has Brazilian brackets on one side and not all the holes align to where can have bolts). When have the bread can get her a Wolfsburg West bumper (which been wanting since they first came out).

rcooled wrote:
Looks like that '64 will be a great starting point for a resto project...should be a sweet ride when you're done.

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
I’d try some rubbing compound and then wax the paint to see what you have, you might be surprised

How about the plan at this point?

First, get the engine running so can move Ruby around and maybe drive around the neighborhood (there is far worse traversing these roads). The first hurdle is getting her unseized. The SiliKroil I plan to try is coming tomorrow. Thinking lift one side, pour in, repeat, then let sit a week and try. Then what my Volkswagen mechanic friend, from the days of aircooled, do for stuck rings is turn over the engine to TDC of a cylinder, leave for a day, turn again, repeating for all. Have had it significantly improve compression on another engine. Of course open to any other suggestions.

Next be getting it safe to drive. Already have an Excel spreadsheet loaded with parts and prices to gain an estimate.

As for the paint, already planned as Zundfolge1432 suggested to polish and wax. Will do that windows out to get rid of the ridge from the sloppy repaint (which Dad regretted ever repainting her) as the seals are leaking really bad (battery tray rusted out because of it). Then enjoy it while save up and purchase the tools to do it. Side note, have the desire and a 1946 metal bedroom set needing repainting that will first do for practice and then the beater. When repainted, will only be the outside and the door jambs, just as Dad would plus want to save the dash even if doesn't quite match, don't care. Ruby isn't going to be a show girl, instead a short errands vehicle or at this point, take the dog(s) to the vet.

Since the paintwork will not be corrected until later and the vinyl is sun damaged from all those years sitting in the California sun, going to remove the covers, keep the good insides (no horsehair was used), and cover with my own (I have a Singer 328K from 1962 that I use to tailor clothes). I don't want a hot colour like cream/yellow or red and concerned a white cloth get dirty. I am thinking camel or a light grey cloth, as in California got burned on the vinyl and can't imagine what it be like in Arizona. What y'all think about going with the camel colour?

Adriel Rowley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Dad's 1964 Ruby Red Beetle Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:
Adriel Rowley wrote:

PM me if you need help or suggestions to fix your fuel pump. I'm not following what part from their kit didn't work.

I was going to ask on my friend Pedo's pump rebuild thread, would it be better to keep private? With my Autism I am not always aware of what is socially right, so appreciate the social help.

wcfvw69 wrote:
Great, original bug. As someone mentioned, some light rubbing compound and wax will make that paint shine.

We say thank you! Smile Some aftermarket parts, though not a lot as y'all said.

What I am wondering is what to do about all the exterior surface rust?

I have done paint restorations in the past, so have the supplies except wax and maybe clay, plus a single action polisher (hopefully will add a dual as much safer).

Adriel Rowley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Dad's 1964 Ruby Red Beetle Reply with quote

Am I posting too many questions at once?

Hopefully not, as moving to the headliner.

Before:

Spend a day in over 100 degree butter thick humidity using recommended cleaners and couldn't get the brown spots out.

I was hoping to save the headliner as in decent condition, no holes, not coming down except at the door edge, and still pliable. So what are those spots and will they come out?

I can reach my hand inside and feel no padding at all, shouldn't there be some?

If the headliner can't be saved, thinking add something to reduce the heat in the cabin even if not stock.

rcooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Dad's 1964 Ruby Red Beetle Reply with quote

Love that photo of little you coming home from the hospital in the Bug Very Happy

Adriel Rowley wrote:
When have the bread can get her a Wolfsburg West bumper (which been wanting since they first came out).

Wolfsburg West bumpers are, by far, the finest reproductions available. Look beautiful and fit perfectly. Expensive, but worth every penny.

Adriel Rowley wrote:
When repainted, will only be the outside and the door jambs, just as Dad would plus want to save the dash even if doesn't quite match, don't care.

When it comes time for a repaint, remove the glovebox door and take it down to paint shop and have them read the color from the inside of the door. If the dash paint has faded, have them read the front side of the door. This way, the new exterior paint will almost perfectly match the interior. If you have a shop do the painting, they'll probably be able to match the paint in the same way.
'69.5 Ghia convertible and
'62, '63, '65, '69 Bugs (all long gone)
Adriel Rowley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 3:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Dad's 1964 Ruby Red Beetle Reply with quote

rcooled wrote:
Love that photo of little you coming home from the hospital in the Bug Very Happy

Only found it clearing out about a five foot by eight foot by five foot high mound of stuff in Oma's bedroom while alive. Summer from Hell, both in the family drama and 95*F house at ten at night. Tough woman though I proved tougher (told her she had two options, work with me now or when she was dead we would come in with shovels and throw it all away).

rcooled wrote:
Adriel Rowley wrote:
When have the bread can get her a Wolfsburg West bumper (which been wanting since they first came out).

Wolfsburg West bumpers are, by far, the finest reproductions available. Look beautiful and fit perfectly. Expensive, but worth every penny.

Thank you for confirming. Dad loathed the rear bumper as can't open the engine lid without pushing on the bumper with your foot. Felt so weird the other day when I did it, first time for me.

rcooled wrote:
Adriel Rowley wrote:
When repainted, will only be the outside and the door jambs, just as Dad would plus want to save the dash even if doesn't quite match, don't care.

When it comes time for a repaint, remove the glovebox door and take it down to paint shop and have them read the color from the inside of the door. If the dash paint has faded, have them read the front side of the door. This way, the new exterior paint will almost perfectly match the interior. If you have a shop do the painting, they'll probably be able to match the paint in the same way.

I was planning to use the glove box lid though was under the wrong impression that wouldn't match. There is an old paint supply shop that I used the code to get touch up paint for a vintage Mercedes and was bang on. Not that would, just saying blessed don't have a 45 minute drive like in Sandy Eggo, plus have books going back at least forty if not fifty plus years.

Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Dad's 1964 Ruby Red Beetle Reply with quote

That exterior color looks like L451 Ruby Red to me a very common and popular color from 60s VWs. It is very easy to match using the code. Custom paint matching probably unnecessary I bet the dash would polish up nicely too. If it were me I’d remove the engine and take it down to short block. This way you could peek inside and assess condition of lower end including end play. If all looks good clean and reseal hone cylinders, re ring if needed. Clean heads check for cracks valve guide wear. If thats all good replace exhaust valves you might even get away just lapping them in. Replace oil cooler seals and rear main. Degrease all sheet metal, clean carb, refresh distributor and odds and ends like plug wires. Now you’ve eliminated about 95% the things that could go wrong. Ck brushes in generator a new v belt. List seems long but I’m missing a few things. It’s a nice car with history worth the time to address those items.

Engines that sit outside for years sometimes become home to insects and rodents which is a great reason to take the cooling tins off for a look see.
Adriel Rowley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Dad's 1964 Ruby Red Beetle Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
That exterior color looks like L451 Ruby Red to me a very common and popular color from 60s VWs. It is very easy to match using the code. Custom paint matching probably unnecessary I bet the dash would polish up nicely too. If it were me I’d remove the engine and take it down to short block. This way you could peek inside and assess condition of lower end including end play. If all looks good clean and reseal hone cylinders, re ring if needed. Clean heads check for cracks valve guide wear. If thats all good replace exhaust valves you might even get away just lapping them in. Replace oil cooler seals and rear main. Degrease all sheet metal, clean carb, refresh distributor and odds and ends like plug wires. Now you’ve eliminated about 95% the things that could go wrong. Ck brushes in generator a new v belt. List seems long but I’m missing a few things. It’s a nice car with history worth the time to address those items.

Engines that sit outside for years sometimes become home to insects and rodents which is a great reason to take the cooling tins off for a look see.

I thought was clear Ruby is L451. Dad wanted green being his favorite colour, later almost purchasing his friend's green 1965, though he wasn't willing to sell Ruby and didn't know where he put a second. I think how different things would have been if that happened. To me, seems wrong to do a colour change so keep it. For a red, enjoy it because it is a darker red, unlike for example Poppy Red.

Please don't take this as arguing, why tear down if not leaking a single drop of oil, clean internals, and if has good compression?

My hope is to leave together and run it until the compression too far gone to see how many miles on one rebuild. I am willing to have the heads rebuilt if all that is needed. I know of an old machine shop with a drawer cabinet full of head studs and hoping they let me check to see if can find those 193s so can use the square boss heads (years ago let me look through to find a rare thread pitch so am hopeful). However, if not possible to continue, then so be it.

Can enough tin be removed to clean?

No evidence of rodents, probably due to the feral cats. I absolutely loath them, peeing and pooping as they go, chewing everything they can. I laughed when found one had eaten a box of poison in Oma's cabinet, he/she got the Darwin Award. Laughing

If do remove the tin, hopefully can find the thermostat and any other missing parts in Dad's storage unit to put back. Sue's Squareback, which now custodian of, were removed and I spent a lot of time to hunt down all the parts, rather not have to do that again.

Oh and my friend says it has an alternator, looks nothing like the generators.

Again, really appreciate the help. Very Happy

Adriel Rowley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Dad's 1964 Ruby Red Beetle Reply with quote

Not much of an update, though something.

Stopped at Kragen (then walked to the grocer) and got BrakeCleen and carburetor cleaner. While at the grocer, hit me could get a set of those disposable metal pans to put down so not making a mess in the drive.

Came home and Brother needed help, so there went the afternoon.

Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Dad's 1964 Ruby Red Beetle Reply with quote

Perhaps I misunderstood you I was under the impression car has been inoperative for a time. If this is correct how long?
Adriel Rowley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Dad's 1964 Ruby Red Beetle Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
Perhaps I misunderstood you I was under the impression car has been inoperative for a time. If this is correct how long?

My guess is about 15 years as he bought a CPS approved vehicle in 2002. A year or two later did try get running though no fuel coming to the fuel pump (where was planning to start by checking that the fuel lines are clear).

So sitting means the engine must be rebuilt?

Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Dad's 1964 Ruby Red Beetle Reply with quote

No but 15 years idle is enough time for little furry creatures to nest and seals to dry out. I’m biased towards checking because I’ve got some experience and all the tools, time and place to do it. Regarding the disposable pans look at this. Less than 10 bucks at Oh Really’s Very Happy

Make a mess clean it off use it again and again. First time I ever saw this was NHRA drag racing they used to tear down engines between races working on concrete. I know need to correct thank calendar 😀
Adriel Rowley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Dad's 1964 Ruby Red Beetle Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
No but 15 years idle is enough time for little furry creatures to nest and seals to dry out. I’m biased towards checking because I’ve got some experience and all the tools, time and place to do it. Regarding the disposable pans look at this. Less than 10 bucks at Oh Really’s Very Happy

Make a mess clean it off use it again and again. First time I ever saw this was NHRA drag racing they used to tear down engines between races working on concrete. I know need to correct thank calendar 😀

Myself exhausted as put in a good day, more on that later. Yes, your experience is why I asked and appreciate the help.

While I was removing the plugs Ruby and I had a chat, will be pulling her engine. Though considering how nosy and particular the neighbors are (almost as bad as being in a HOA), can't be done where visible. One option is the garage, however, at this point in time is occupied by a 1985 Mercedes 280TE that has no drive line or any front suspension (her name is Anne as from Frankfort). The other option be a portable garage though not happening until the Government accepts the beneficiary IRA accounts and then releases the funds. Don't worry, the aforementioned Jack is keeping me accountable about getting Anne back operational. Then as you said, can pull all the tins, new pushrod tube seals, and new tin to body seals (there is no trace of the front seal), plus a plethora of other while in there tasks.

As to the spark plugs, this is how they looked. To my eye, running rich.

As for those pans, yes, bought one for Baby from Kragen. Though the concern I have not deep enough for all the mess.

By the way, that sure looks like a Russian Blue, or am I wrong?

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 48, 49, 50  Next
Jump to:
Page 1 of 50

Jump to: