Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Dad's 1964 Ruby Red Beetle
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 48, 49, 50  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Adriel Rowley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: Dad's 1964 Ruby Red Beetle Reply with quote

Chickensoup wrote:
What’s wrong with your existing carpet? It looks amazing for being so old. I would just revive it and be done Very Happy so, unless it smells... anyways, too bad you cant just walk into a unposted store lol. The 100 dollar up charge sounds more like an issue on their website. Try giving them a call. Where are you buying the carpet? Have you considered sew fine? Sorry I couldn’t answer your question but have some food for thought instead Smile good luck.

Thanks. Smile

Ha, Brother said same thing. Trouble is under the window was disintegrating, the driver's rocker was well worn, and as you have seen the front wheel wells have rust. To remove the carpet meant it got damaged as well cemented. Now if was wool, would have taken more care and tried to save, this had gone dry.

I take the blame missing the gap, was not discussed in the initial quote with Sewfine, no website error. I be willing to pay some charge if was explained, such as for example, that extra two inches take an extra hour of labor. Just when ask three times how the wheel well (which included only to show what I was asking and could modify their pattern to provide the extra if they wanted) differed so much in yardage as claimed. Even tried twice asking what stock was so could understand, finally came here to have that answered.

My understanding is they have yet to cut the carpet, so figure worse they could do is refund the carpet cost and send the upholstery (which is done). In which case will find someone else, got to be someone out there, trick is getting the yardage. A friend of a friend does early Type 3 carpet, thinking based on the information here and the next email, see if be willing. Might cost more, however, they be willing (which to me a $100 up charge says otherwise) and because of that gain a better product. Just initial thoughts so bet over time will change.

Dad's 1964 Beetle purchased September 1968.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9252810#9252810

1971 Sunroof Squareback with Fuel Injection
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=219811&highlight=squareback+rejuvenation
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Adriel Rowley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Dad's 1964 Ruby Red Beetle Reply with quote

When installing the brake line grommet, sure helped to have the back seat base out.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Rest of the brake line installed.

Fuel line grommet installed.

Now that all the under tank work done, can go back in the hole. Was going to install the fuel guage and got sick (probably the high humidity today).

Worked out as got information on two insurance options and found a Volkswagen appraiser, with the added bonus of an enjoyable personality (prefer business relationships that are also personable, rather than all business). Apparently if provide all the requested photographs (there will be a lot) doesn't have to be in person, meaning, can get an agreed value policy sooner than later.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=219811&highlight=squareback+rejuvenation
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Adriel Rowley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2020 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Dad's 1964 Ruby Red Beetle Reply with quote

I don't know what am doing wrong, however, these questions not being answered is starting to be disappointing. Know folks are reading, keep a watch on the views, what is the point of posting entirely for someone else's benefit, shouldn't I get something in return for the hard work of writing and editing? What about the times I have helped others?

Got intermittent flow out of the master cylinder when the pedal is pressed or pressure to the system, will not gravity bleed. Will see what JBugs has to say. Sure wish help here, oh well.

The fight with Brother over my money has made me aware how delicate life is and when someone passes, will soon be forgotten, myself realize have lost feelings for Brother and Sister after they quit talking to me (told me because have Autism). Our meaning is only temporary and oft our value is small. No one will be thankful for the money and countless hours I put into the Beetle, neither have helped or complimented me, let alone any interest other than how they want it done (apparently I am getting it all wrong). In short, maybe my perception of others affected by my recent experiences.

Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2020 9:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Dad's 1964 Ruby Red Beetle Reply with quote

Adriel Rowley wrote:

Got intermittent flow out of the master cylinder when the pedal is pressed or pressure to the system, will not gravity bleed. Will see what JBugs has to say. Sure wish help here, oh well.

This tells me that the master cylinder is doing its job. Start your way at the reservoir, and trouble shoot your way to the master cylinder, then brakes. Don’t forget to remove the cap also if yours isn’t vented.

Is your rubber line from the reservoir to master cylinder ploged? Check all metal lines up front too. You replaced the brake cylinders right? Also, try adjusting the brake pedal rod and while your at it, make sure the piston returns back to normal.

Check your Bentley or John Muir book on trouble shooting if all else fails. I doubt the ,aster cylinder is fault but I could be wrong.

Ps, I wouldn’t order anything from jbugs. Their prices aren’t that great and most of their products are crap chinesium.

Good luck
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Hosea 4:6 "My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge"
Adriel Rowley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 12:00 am    Post subject: Re: Dad's 1964 Ruby Red Beetle Reply with quote

Chickensoup wrote:
Adriel Rowley wrote:

This tells me that the master cylinder is doing its job. Start your way at the reservoir, and trouble shoot your way to the master cylinder, then brakes. Don’t forget to remove the cap also if yours isn’t vented.

Is your rubber line from the reservoir to master cylinder ploged? Check all metal lines up front too. You replaced the brake cylinders right? Also, try adjusting the brake pedal rod and while your at it, make sure the piston returns back to normal.

Check your Bentley or John Muir book on trouble shooting if all else fails. I doubt the ,aster cylinder is fault but I could be wrong.

Ps, I wouldn’t order anything from jbugs. Their prices aren’t that great and most of their products are crap chinesium.

Good luck

Thank you for the help! Very Happy

Can't sleep, even with medication, no damn difference, so guess good time to get stuff done, like this.

So, low to no flow out of the bleeders is normal? Confused I'm confused, as when did the first time (as I said had to replace the center brake line going to rear brakes because pushed myself too hard) had it streaming out, once had spit all the air out. Took about 10 15 minutes for a solid pedal and no problems. This time, three days and only once came close to firm (then went soggy when let air out of the front and afterwards didn't return, as if something went inside).

I have all new parts, except the brake reservoir and the hard line going into the master cylinder. That is what puzzles me, how could a new line collapse and.or fail to flow, especially when clean reservoir and clean fluid? Meaning, see the only source that affect all four be the master cylinder, right?

The new hard lines are German, all the wheel cylinders and master cylinder are Ate. Soft lines are Wolfsburg West.

Being when did first time left all the fittings open, this time thought wasn't needed, however, tried going back to. I started at the hard line going to the master cylinder, has good flow. Then undid the driver front fitting into the master cylinder. Not gravity bleeding like should, so try the pedal. Get some flow, not sure how much as can't see around bends. So, hook the air compressor to the reservoir, takes a moment, then blows through. Passenger side again not gravity flowing out the master cylinder, again try the pedal, this time nothing, so hook up the compressor and get some through the hard line. Go ahead and try bleeding the driver front, pressurize the reservoir, do get a bit of air, then a slow dribble. Pedal pressed to the firewall or not makes no difference. Go ahead and try and bleed the passenger side, pressurize the reservoir, nothing but a slight trickle.

Oh and the pedal does return, not that.

Friend and I spent about an hour on the telephone, he was the one that suggested the master cylinder is at fault.

I dislike JBugs, however, had a really good deal on brake kit with Ate cylinders (supposed to be German wheel cylinders, however, Italian) over one other source for Ate and/or German (I trust Ate over country).

Sure wish could get ahold of Eric of Bughaus, seems to have a lot of experience as been a huge help in the past, however, has disappeared and after 25 days the parts have yet to even ship (if don't hear from him by Tuesday afternoon will file a Paypal claim, shame such a great business has collapsed).

mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 1:05 am    Post subject: Re: Dad's 1964 Ruby Red Beetle Reply with quote

Getting low to no flow out of all four wheel cylinders sounds like either the reservoir line into the master has a partial blockage or the compensating/bypass port in the master is at least partially blocked. The first one can be due to crud in the reservoir or line itself, but also is commonly due to the metal supply line and/or grommet being inserted too far into the master cylinder. The second is most commonly due to insufficient clearance between the brake pedal pushrod and the cup in the master cylinder piston (clearance S in the diagram below), but can also be due to the piston sticking in its bore. I'd recommend you start with checking your brake pedal freeplay to ensure your pushrod clearance is sufficient, then check the line, reservoir, and grommet. If that all turns up nothing, you may need to pull the master apart and give it a good cleaning. Be aware that the single circuit supply line grommets are often poor quality and either don't seal well or swell excessively when exposed to brake fluid (go figure). If you find you need a replacement grommet, I've had decent luck with the ones from Wolfsburg West and Bug City.

Sjstretch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 7:04 am    Post subject: Re: Dad's 1964 Ruby Red Beetle Reply with quote

Looking at the brake master cylinder picture it looks like your brake light switch is not screwed in enough?? It might be good.

I did this, it got tight and I figured I was good, but mine was leaking fluid. Mine was also after market master cylinder.
Adriel Rowley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: Dad's 1964 Ruby Red Beetle Reply with quote

mukluk wrote:
Getting low to no flow out of all four wheel cylinders sounds like either the reservoir line into the master has a partial blockage or the compensating/bypass port in the master is at least partially blocked. The first one can be due to crud in the reservoir or line itself, but also is commonly due to the metal supply line and/or grommet being inserted too far into the master cylinder. The second is most commonly due to insufficient clearance between the brake pedal pushrod and the cup in the master cylinder piston (clearance S in the diagram below), but can also be due to the piston sticking in its bore. I'd recommend you start with checking your brake pedal freeplay to ensure your pushrod clearance is sufficient, then check the line, reservoir, and grommet. If that all turns up nothing, you may need to pull the master apart and give it a good cleaning. Be aware that the single circuit supply line grommets are often poor quality and either don't seal well or swell excessively when exposed to brake fluid (go figure). If you find you need a replacement grommet, I've had decent luck with the ones from Wolfsburg West and Bug City.

What a huge help, very appreciated, thank you! Very Happy

Since we know the line from the reservoir to the master cylinder clear that means the bypass port. We know the pedal play is correct, as was set by Volkswagen at the factory, has worked previously with the master cylinder, however, checked again and is correct. That leaves either the brake line fluid seal or debris in the port.

At this time, not finding who got the seal from, only get from two places, Bughaus and Wolfsburg West and neither showing, suspect the former. How does it look?

Should the flared end sit outside of the seal, meaning, passes all the way through?

Is it normal when pressurizing the system fluid to be coming out of the seal? Has quit doing that, was quit surprised as thought was supposed to seal, figured neither would sell a defective part, so kept going.

How would debris get into the master cylinder with clean parts and clean fluid?

Curious, could compressed air be used to blow out the master cylinder internals?

Adriel Rowley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: Dad's 1964 Ruby Red Beetle Reply with quote

Sjstretch wrote:
Looking at the brake master cylinder picture it looks like your brake light switch is not screwed in enough?? It might be good.

I did this, it got tight and I figured I was good, but mine was leaking fluid. Mine was also after market master cylinder.

Thank you. Smile No fluid has been leaking. Being installed by Ate and not leaking, will leave alone. Wink

Adriel Rowley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: Dad's 1964 Ruby Red Beetle Reply with quote

Update. Confirmed the seal was not from Jbugs.

mukluk, is the Bug City seal you recommend the German? If so, out of stock. Sad

mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Dad's 1964 Ruby Red Beetle Reply with quote

It's been a few years, but I believe it was the German seal.

Quote:
Should the flared end sit outside of the seal, meaning, passes all the way through?

Is it normal when pressurizing the system fluid to be coming out of the seal? Has quit doing that, was quit surprised as thought was supposed to seal, figured neither would sell a defective part, so kept going

How you had it oriented in the pictures was correct, just make sure the raised area on the lower half fits into the corresponding groove in the master cylinder -- you don't want the grommet shoved in so far that it blocks the ports. The metal line itself should be inserted roughly halfway or a bit more, again not so far as to bottom out in the master cylinder, but you don't want it to pop out either. Usually the line end will have a small bump or flare that you can slightly feel pop into place when you have it in correctly. Once installed the grommet should not leak at all.
Adriel Rowley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Dad's 1964 Ruby Red Beetle Reply with quote

mukluk wrote:
It's been a few years, but I believe it was the German seal.

Quote:

Is it normal when pressurizing the system fluid to be coming out of the seal? Has quit doing that, was quit surprised as thought was supposed to seal, figured neither would sell a defective part, so kept going

How you had it oriented in the pictures was correct, just make sure the raised area on the lower half fits into the corresponding groove in the master cylinder -- you don't want the grommet shoved in so far that it blocks the ports. The metal line itself should be inserted roughly halfway or a bit more, again not so far as to bottom out in the master cylinder, but you don't want it to pop out either. Usually the line end will have a small bump or flare that you can slightly feel pop into place when you have it in correctly. Once installed the grommet should not leak at all.

Thank you! Very Happy

So are you using Bug City's regular or the German?

I have the line touching the master cylinder as otherwise pulls out; never has "clicked" in as seems this suggests.

So if leaks, then replace?

mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Dad's 1964 Ruby Red Beetle Reply with quote

Like I said, I believe it's the German one but cannot say 100% for certain.

The line popping into place is very slight, it's not a pronounced or positive click... might just be my imagination.

If the grommet won't stop leaking then it needs to be replaced. I've never had any luck getting them to stop leaking once they start, not sure why.
Adriel Rowley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Dad's 1964 Ruby Red Beetle Reply with quote

mukluk wrote:
Like I said, I believe it's the German one but cannot say 100% for certain.

Okay, will see if can get ahold of them and find out when be back, if at all. Worse case, just have to wait until Wolfsburg West opens (was just about to put in a larger order when they closed).

mukluk wrote:
The line popping into place is very slight, it's not a pronounced or positive click... might just be my imagination.

Okay, will see if I can feel, do have sensory processing condition working against me.

mukluk wrote:
If the grommet won't stop leaking then it needs to be replaced. I've never had any luck getting them to stop leaking once they start, not sure why.

Leaked from the moment installed... Thanks to your generosity, now know this was not correct.

Adriel Rowley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Dad's 1964 Ruby Red Beetle Reply with quote

I felt needed to take a break from the brakes, clear the head, so went after the interior, in part to get a picture for Sewfine of the gap would prefer to cover with carpet.

Of course took way longer than planned, two of those was setting up space for the table saw, plus fixing and setting up the table saw. Here is the panel cut out and the boys demonstrating its purpose.

bad91teg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Dad's 1964 Ruby Red Beetle Reply with quote

great pic of the dogs . they look like some good boys . whats the wood for ?
Adriel Rowley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Dad's 1964 Ruby Red Beetle Reply with quote

bad91teg wrote:
great pic of the dogs . they look like some good boys . whats the wood for ?

Thank you for the compliment. Smile The Golden and Aussie mix is my Service Dog Daithi, however, at home he isn't as well behaved as the big boy, Serebro. Both I had no say in them adopting me, Daithi a foster failure and Serebro when about four months old showed up with a male senior Chow GS mix, Sasha (which for some reason in America a male nickname is use for female names). Even when Serebro was a puppy, never chewed on anything, only later a couple incidents, which were my fault, however, if don't leave something to comfort him will get something of mine and put on the bed. Even more odd is not interested in any toys other than a ball only to fetch. Sadie my first SD and Sasha hit it off, and were always together (had four for about a year, then three about a year). She was the best female ever had and Sasha the best male ever had, do miss them, now they are back together over the bridge.

Oops, thought had said earlier. It replaces the seat, will be covered with carpet, so the boys have room to travel. Got the idea from business coupés, like the one Oma had when Dad was a lad. I don't have passengers and the one time did in the Mercedes wagen which I also took out the back seat (two clips each side), one rode in the front and the others just sat on the floor for a quick local trip to get them home. If did have warning, bet take about ten fifteen minutes to put the seat back in.

bad91teg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 4:33 am    Post subject: Re: Dad's 1964 Ruby Red Beetle Reply with quote

yea that pic of them makes my smile . so you made them lucky dogs a place to sit ? that's so cool . im sure when people see them dogs in the back of the bug they will smile and laugh just like I did . really cool thing you did for them
Adriel Rowley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 4:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Dad's 1964 Ruby Red Beetle Reply with quote

Well, today totally went awry, don't think working in the sun when slightly humid and 100 degrees helped, will see about moving Ruby tomorrow. Be safer and easier to work in shade.

bad91teg wrote:
yea that pic of them makes my smile . so you made them lucky dogs a place to sit ? that's so cool . im sure when people see them dogs in the back of the bug they will smile and laugh just like I did . really cool thing you did for them

Good we can provide something to smile about. Agree some others seeing will, maybe even laugh, especially if big boy is riding on the parcel shelf and they understand how small of a space. Shame dog rescues don't want Autistic volunteers, then could take them to meet and greets.

Or lay, which is what I prefer dogs to do while I'm driving (safest). Did it so the boys have room is all. If that is "cool", okay, thank you.

Adriel Rowley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 8:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Dad's 1964 Ruby Red Beetle Reply with quote

Couldn't sit still after supper, so knocked out the last of tasks to do before moving Ruby. Try and start, no go. Already put all the fuel in the fuel tank, so all had was kerosene, filled the bowl up with that, still nothing. Fuck, the fuel pump again. Run the starter until smell hot electoral, ups, didn't know that was possible. Poor thing too hot to touch.

I feel like an absolute dumb ass, in that should have started the engine once had fuel in the filter a month ago, then start every few days. Now the pump is dead, $50 wasted.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 48, 49, 50  Next
Jump to:
Page 11 of 50

Jump to: