Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Dad's 1964 Ruby Red Beetle
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 48, 49, 50  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Dad's 1964 Ruby Red Beetle Reply with quote

Adriel Rowley wrote:

Appreciated, was wondering that. Interesting there is a spring loaded diaphragm. Somewhere have a German dictionary, want to look up what word that is.

Why are you running the camper with a manual choke? Or am I getting my dates wrong? Es ist spät...

1960 was last model year for the manual choke, and since the bus has the cable setup...
Adriel Rowley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Dad's 1964 Ruby Red Beetle Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
Adriel Rowley wrote:

Worth, as in keeping. A friend and I have thrown out several sets of Squareback glass as no one needs. Feels awful, though I have a garage full and more of Volkswagen parts, some keeping as can't bring myself to toss (like German Hella early Type 3 lenses and housings).

We remember back in the day you could pickup any old 1955-67 bus rear hatch in good shape for anywhere from $5 to 20. Now same rear hatches sell for hundreds of dollars!

One of these days would like to aquire a type 3 to get back on the road.....

Is that adjusted for inflation? Figure that $20 be worth about $50 or so, however, 300 percent plus increase is quite a rise. Doubt that happen with the Type 3s.

I own a low miles '71 Automatic about an hour south of Portland. Bought it because wanted to get back into a Squareback that didn't need rust repair and unmolested (has been sitting since the 1970s and seems the only owner was the dealer) almost a year ago (friend has had health trouble). Tried seeing if my friend buy it back now that have Ruby, though wouldn't, good thing as do want her and now see will work out.

Dad's 1964 Beetle purchased September 1968.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9252810#9252810

1971 Sunroof Squareback with Fuel Injection
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=219811&highlight=squareback+rejuvenation
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: Dad's 1964 Ruby Red Beetle Reply with quote

Adriel Rowley wrote:

Is that adjusted for inflation? Figure that $20 be worth about $50 or so, however, 300 percent plus increase is quite a rise. Doubt that happen with the Type 3s.

I own a low miles '71 Automatic about an hour south of Portland. Bought it because wanted to get back into a Squareback that didn't need rust repair and unmolested (has been sitting since the 1970s and seems the only owner was the dealer) almost a year ago (friend has had health trouble). Tried seeing if my friend buy it back now that have Ruby, though wouldn't, good thing as do want her and now see will work out.

Not adjusted for inflation, till about 2005 they were a dime a dozen.

Sounds like a good road trip adventure!

Need to get to working on our other 1963, Turkis SC that we rescued from a wrecking yard in Montana, after seeing it there on a trip out to Iowa.
Adriel Rowley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: Dad's 1964 Ruby Red Beetle Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
Adriel Rowley wrote:

Not adjusted for inflation, till about 2005 they were a dime a dozen.

Sounds like a good road trip adventure!

Need to get to working on our other 1963, Turkis SC that we rescued from a wrecking yard in Montana, after seeing it there on a trip out to Iowa.

I know it would be if had cruise control, darn knees are shot and only 32... Driving the Uhaul that 300 some miles used a wood dowel wedged between the pedal and my shoulder.

A single cab, nice! Those aren't common at all, darn Chicken Tax. If was going to own a Type 2, be a '72 or later single cab (if I remember first year of disk brakes, that was way back in High School). Though as it stands, especially finances, am stretched with all the vehicles I own (used to have in three states though sold her for way below market as Dad wasn't kind to her however he did a lot for me). Trouble is, if had a truck I bring home even more parts... Wink Laughing

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=219811&highlight=squareback+rejuvenation
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: Dad's 1964 Ruby Red Beetle Reply with quote

1971 was first year for disc in the bus. Either 1971 or 77 buses seem to be the best in stock form.

There are modern day cruise controls that will work just fine with older carb vehicles. Just do a WWW search for "cruise control for antique carbureted cars", found quite a few results.

This one in particular looks promising:

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/dak-crs-2000-2/overview/

A thread in a non-VW forum:

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/hot-rod-cruise-control.707422/
Adriel Rowley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Dad's 1964 Ruby Red Beetle Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
1971 was first year for disc in the bus. Either 1971 or 77 buses seem to be the best in stock form.

Shouldn't have second guessed. Interesting those years are the best.

The only thing that concerns me, as I understand, Type 4 engine parts are becoming very scarce, so if able to rebuild, costs you a small fortune.

Eric&Barb wrote:
There are modern day cruise controls that will work just fine with older carb vehicles. Just do a WWW search for "cruise control for antique carbureted cars", found quite a few results.

1968 was the first year of fuel injection and also in my signature. Razz (Being ornery...) Sure have come a long way since I looked.

Eric&Barb wrote:
This one in particular looks promising: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/dak-crs-2000-2/overview/

Wow, how nice, appreciate you going to all that trouble. Price isn't too bad either.

Eric&Barb wrote:
A thread in a non-VW forum:

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/hot-rod-cruise-control.707422/

Interesting read, appreciated.

You know, got me thinking. Be an interesting trip and very long one. Right now finances and a sick senior dog has me stuck at home, though something to consider/dream and save up for. My Sister, her husband, and their boy are in Portland, the vehicle is in Eugene, somewhere have a cousin in the mid to southern part of the state, another cousin in Shasta, stop in Bakersfield for old times sake and eat at Hodel's (through some convoluted blood line related though doesn't change anything, just where we eat when visit relatives and a good food) and the cafe, then nothing unless want to fight though LA to get to Whittier. Then the long and scary trek though the desert.

Today was spent trying to get zerks into Anne's upper control arms. Included nearly dropping the drill press onto my foot when slipped as almost had it up on the file cabinet, figuring how to set the UCA so could drill strait (used a chunk of plywood with a hole and another on edge, clamping the two together), then finding the fittings, and finally realizing my 8x1 and 10x1 taps have grown legs. Tidied the garage to no avail, so quit and made a meatloaf for dinner. Reason even trying is somewhere saw in times past could get replacement boots for Beetle tie rods and ball joints, which also bet fit Type 3s. Plus, what kills the joint is lack of lubrication and older vehicles had fittings. My friend thinks I am crazy and I said I got the idea from Popular Mechanics. Razz

Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Dad's 1964 Ruby Red Beetle Reply with quote

You might get pre-1961 tie rod ends. They came from VW with the zerks. The 1960 walk thru panel camper still has the ones that came with it back in the early 1990s when we got it and have now put another 300,000 miles on those.

The more modern ones do not have a way for the old grease to get flushed out.

Seen modern tie rod ends for USA made trucks of the 1970s, that now have the zerk fittings, made in China....
Adriel Rowley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Dad's 1964 Ruby Red Beetle Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
You might get pre-1961 tie rod ends. They came from VW with the zerks. The 1960 walk thru panel camper still has the ones that came with it back in the early 1990s when we got it and have now put another 300,000 miles on those.

The more modern ones do not have a way for the old grease to get flushed out.

Seen modern tie rod ends for USA made trucks of the 1970s, that now have the zerk fittings, made in China....

Goodness you are an amazing help, even with an off topic comment.

Impressive how long they last with fresh grease.

I know modern don't flush, though better than nothing and when the boot needs replacing, can get it close (I check the rubber often so would catch it going before significant contamination). On the Type 3, one of the tie rods is no longer available, thus why been my desire for years to figure out how to add zerks and figured now that have some training on machining, a vehicle needing a set of horrendously expensive joints, and a drill press, go for.

By the way, nothing today, was sick (had enough of it lasting a month and a half so going in Friday). Still haven't decided if re-purchase the taps, know if do will turn up. Thinking hold off until see if need something else from Amazon.

Did finish research and decide if the funds go through, going with a 12'x32' Shelterlogic. Had enough of working in the house garage that is about eight feet wide, banging into the walls, despite great care somehow now and then getting grease/oil on fresh laundry, and over capacity on tool storage (been accumulating since my 13th birthday spending hard earned allowance as a lad). Then can park two front to back and move the workbench given to me from the patio in. Hopefully able, if not, just get large enough for Ruby; 11'x16'. Videos on YouTube show them lasting though more than designed and serving folks well. As time goes by and funds allow, upgrade, for example, build a rear wall to install aircon. Oh and to be clear, anything beats working on gravel with no shade, been there, done that.

Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Dad's 1964 Ruby Red Beetle Reply with quote

Adriel Rowley wrote:

The only thing that concerns me, as I understand, Type 4 engine parts are becoming very scarce, so if able to rebuild, costs you a small fortune.

In the short term yes, in the long term not so much. Back in the day when 55 MPH was the national speed limit those type 4 engines with just regular maintenance easily got to 200,000 to 300,000 miles between rebuild for a reason.

Got a 1977 high top Rivera camper bus that mom bought back in the early 1980s. Engine still has never been rebuilt, does need a new FW seal and clutch.

1. Stock all aluminum engine case that does not need reboring at a drop of a hat like the earlier type 1 & 2 magnesium with some aluminum alloy. Plus all aluminum cases are easy peasy to weld on.

2. Bigger diameter and length main bearings, and in turn same for the much stiffer stronger type 4 crank.

3. Bigger heads for more surface area and bigger pistons.

4. Stock 2 liter engine that gets 24 MPG with FI and has a lot more HP and torque to climb the hills, that will leave our 1641 SP in the dust.

5. Stock full filtered oil design.

Try to duplicate just #1 and 4 with the earlier engine, and get it RELIABLE. To do so will cost you big bucks, and more likely it will not last as long as a type 4 due to the extra pressures you will be putting on the thinner weaker engine parts. To get to a 2 liter size requires cutting the already weaker engine case to make it even weaker. Sure #5 is easy and not expensive. Yes, you can get an aftermarket all aluminum case, but it is going to cost near a grand just for that.

As always one can keep an eye out for a good engine core and pickup new parts from others who never went thru with their rebuild for a lot less cost.

Last edited by Eric&Barb on Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Adriel Rowley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Dad's 1964 Ruby Red Beetle Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
Adriel Rowley wrote:

In the short term yes, in the long term not so much. Back in the day when 55 MPH was the national speed limit those type 4 engines with just regular maintenance easily got to 200,000 to 300,000 miles between rebuild for a reason.

Got a 1977 that mom bought back in the early 1980s. Engine still has never been rebuilt, needs a new FW seal and clutch.

1. Stock all aluminum engine case that does not need reboring at a drop of a hat like the earlier type 1 & 2 magnesium with some aluminum alloy.

2. Bigger diameter and length main bearings, and in turn same for the stiffer stronger type 4 crank.

3. Bigger heads for more surface area and bigger pistons.

4. Stock 2 liter engine that gets 24 MPG with FI and has a lot more HP and torque to climb the hills, that will leave our 1641 SP in the dust.

5. Stock full filtered oil design.

Try to duplicate just #1 and 4 with the earlier engine, and get it RELIABLE. Sure # 5 is easy and not expensive.

I did hours of research into putting a Type 4 engine into the Squareback, too much work for not enough positives. Instead, went with a 1971 model year case (missing her original engine) then regretfully went with a high lift cam lobe. Do have an aluminium aftermarket case that maybe some day put parts back in (young me ran the engine when on a road trip the boot partially pulled off and pulled head studs).

Honestly, doubt ever could afford a Type 4 powered truck, plus, what would I do with all these vehicles?

Especially since most of them are needing major work.

Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Dad's 1964 Ruby Red Beetle Reply with quote

Adriel Rowley wrote:

Honestly, doubt ever could afford a Type 4 powered truck, plus, what would I do with all these vehicles?

Like eating an elephant, just take it one bite at a time! Laughing
Adriel Rowley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Dad's 1964 Ruby Red Beetle Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
Adriel Rowley wrote:

Like eating an elephant, just take it one bite at a time! Laughing

Exactly! Though why eat two elephants at once? Razz Laughing

On Anne the Mercedes, the T handle and eight point socket supposedly coming tomorrow (was supposed to be here yesterday) so can see about getting the engine mount bolt hole threads cleaned up (wasn't thinking and forgot to grease them when spraying paint on the cross member). If doesn't work, then go see about taking a bite somewhere else.

Ruby right now waiting to see how finances are headed, looking better than expected so need to find a rebuild kit for the PICT 28-1 (still have a nasty taste in my mouth from Wolfsburg West).

Once Anne back on the road, Ruby back on the road, and finances allow purchase a welder, than can go after the Squareback, have all the metal. After rust taken care of, then figure out how to pull the body back into shape (hit and run).

Have also the Oregon Squareback to get back on the road.

Then maybe when the elephant is fully eaten, then keep an eye out for a Type 4 bread loaf. Wink

Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Dad's 1964 Ruby Red Beetle Reply with quote

Adriel Rowley wrote:

Then maybe when the elephant is fully eaten, then keep an eye out for a Type 4 bread loaf. Wink

Exactly! Plus was focusing only on the bus aspect.

Type 4 in a type 3 does not make as much sense to us. Type 2s of the post-1963ish era are full 1 ton cargo movers, and have much bigger profile to push thru the air. Would be easy enough to do a 74 or 76 or even a 78mm stroke CW crank and stock 85.5 P&Cs for plenty of power. No case cutting, no really big pistons taking up more cylinder cooling fin surfaces. Bet a type 3 would do fine with that. Especially since you would be carrying a bout half a ton at most.

Wonder how hard to get in a type 4 cooler in the type 3 would be?

We are in a similar position in life now. Just working away day by day...
Adriel Rowley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:02 am    Post subject: Re: Dad's 1964 Ruby Red Beetle Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
Adriel Rowley wrote:

Exactly! Plus was focusing only on the bus aspect.

Type 4 in a type 3 does not make as much sense to us. Type 2s of the post-1963ish era are full 1 ton cargo movers, and have much bigger profile to push thru the air. Would be easy enough to do a 74 or 76 or even a 78mm stroke CW crank and stock 85.5 P&Cs for plenty of power. No case cutting, no really big pistons taking up more cylinder cooling fin surfaces. Bet a type 3 would do fine with that. Especially since you would be carrying a bout half a ton at most.

Wonder how hard to get in a type 4 cooler in the type 3 would be?

We are in a similar position in life now. Just working away day by day...

Guess what, up again in the middle of the night, great.

Looked at bus prices, oh my gosh have they gone up! Shocked Then looked at late model Squareback prices and they too have gone up. Maybe times changing. Guess not getting a bus anytime soon.

When your young, you want extra oomph. Now I know stick with the designs and if want more oomph, look to a different vehicle. I miss my 300TD-T, had a trailer hitch and could haul anything I would need, including a fully loaded with large rocks 4'x8' 4' high trailer. While did have the 280TE on the road, she was quick!

Now with the way life is going, doubt have any need for a hauler and if for some reason do, a new Uhaul opened five minutes from the house.

Trouble with increasing displacement on a Type 3 is the D Jetronic doesn't take to it well. Not something I want to deal with. Now a beat to hell early Squareback with no engine dropped in my lap, that be a good option for a stroked engine. Have wondered what a 85,5x78 would feel like.

rcroane Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:51 am    Post subject: Re: Dad's 1964 Ruby Red Beetle Reply with quote

Dude....you need to get some sleep!
Adriel Rowley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Dad's 1964 Ruby Red Beetle Reply with quote

rcroane wrote:
Dude....you need to get some sleep!

Since was even noticeable to strangers, went to the Doctor and she prescribed a medication to help (rather than knock me out). Does seem to be an improvement and should help me work safer and smarter on Ruby (to keep it on topic Razz ).

Adriel Rowley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Dad's 1964 Ruby Red Beetle Reply with quote

Did receive the battery charger and seems her battery from 2003 is taking some charge, will keep trying. Starter needs 6 volts, not sure how well light off with only half to three quarter voltage (where it was yesterday). I am really surprised had any voltage and even more surprised took any charge.

Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Dad's 1964 Ruby Red Beetle Reply with quote

Why even waste time with a 16 year old battery? Best case scenario it works long enough to run and the generator goes into overtime trying to charge until it cooks. Is it a gel battery?
Adriel Rowley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Dad's 1964 Ruby Red Beetle Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
Why even waste time with a 16 year old battery? Best case scenario it works long enough to run and the generator goes into overtime trying to charge until it cooks. Is it a gel battery?

As an experiment.

Couldn't I electrically unhook the alternator?

Part of it is I found all the 6 volt parts except bulbs and a genny and trying to decide if go back, seems Dad regretted the 12 volt conversion. Especially as don't drive at night and not using as a daily driver.

Adriel Rowley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Dad's 1964 Ruby Red Beetle Reply with quote

Suffice to say, working in the sun, even if not warm, one can become dehydrated. Meaning, ended up in the hospital and seemed to make my medical condition worse for a couple months. To add to it all, had two more trips back the California regarding Dad's estate due to circumstances out of my control.

Edit

Found it! https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1010390

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 48, 49, 50  Next
Jump to:
Page 3 of 50

Jump to: