Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Dad's 1964 Ruby Red Beetle
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 42, 43, 44 ... 48, 49, 50  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Adriel Rowley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2023 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Dad's 1964 Ruby Red Beetle Reply with quote

raydog wrote:
One thing worth mentioning too, is to make sure you have the correct diameter tip in the gun when changing wire sizes.

Thank you for being sure I understood this, I do. Very Happy

Dad's 1964 Beetle purchased September 1968.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9252810#9252810

1971 Sunroof Squareback with Fuel Injection
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=219811&highlight=squareback+rejuvenation
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Adriel Rowley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2023 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Dad's 1964 Ruby Red Beetle Reply with quote

esde wrote:
With every wire size, you need at least the amount of voltage not takes to melt the wire. With thicker wire, that extra heat goes into the surrounding base metal, which causes you to blow through. Simply put, thinner wire will allow you to use less voltage, and better manage the heat you put into the part.

I appreciate you clarifying, thank you. Very Happy

I would think taken to an extreme, could lead to not enough penetration?

esde wrote:
Nice work on this car, I appreciate the family history; no amount of money can buy that.

I appreciate the appreciation. Razz Thank you also for the compliment. Very Happy

Sure be nice if my friends be in agreement with you. Literally countless times told not getting enough work done fast enough, some even saying never going to get done, and some say should sell Ruby. Guess I am not insane for keeping her in the family.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=219811&highlight=squareback+rejuvenation
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tcoop1100
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2023 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Dad's 1964 Ruby Red Beetle Reply with quote

Adriel Rowley wrote:

Sure be nice if my friends be in agreement with you. Literally countless times told not getting enough work done fast enough, some even saying never going to get done, and some say should sell Ruby. Guess I am not insane for keeping her in the family.

Adriel-
Unless they have other qualities to offset the negativity I'm not sure I would be calling these people "friends." Take your time, do each step to your satisfaction
and you'll get there. The work you did on that connector was amazing!
Adriel Rowley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2023 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: Dad's 1964 Ruby Red Beetle Reply with quote

tcoop1100 wrote:
Adriel Rowley wrote:

Adriel-
Unless they have other qualities to offset the negativity I'm not sure I would be calling these people "friends."

Very good point. Donald, well, yes, should have said acquaintances and friends. Trouble is there isn't a word that is between the two.

Rhonda has been a huge help, big one is recognizing and encouraging my gift as a seamster and upholsterer. Only one or two occasions for her, unlike others. A mutual friend was having lunch with us, offered to pay, and since the whole lunch was them telling me how I wasn't going to get done, let him buy me lunch. Wink Laughing I said nothing and just ignored it, thinking my own thoughts.

Since you are full of insight which provides appreciated help, what about my Brother, end the relationship?

tcoop1100 wrote:
Take your time, do each step to your satisfaction
and you'll get there.

Correct, I have to satisfy myself. Brother can complain about how much I spent (regretfully made him Trustee of the first person Special Needs Trust, though as a resolution I insisted on investing all of it, only took over a year for him to get it done), however, my choice to use quality parts.

Sometimes I am not satisfied, however, sometimes can't go back, for example, the battery tray.

tcoop1100 wrote:
The work you did on that connector was amazing!

Thank you! Very Happy

tcoop1100
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2023 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Dad's 1964 Ruby Red Beetle Reply with quote

Adriel Rowley wrote:

Since you are full of insight which provides appreciated help, what about my Brother, end the relationship?

Family is a whole 'nother can o' worms. I decided I had to separate myself from the rest of my family nearly thirty years ago. I've had regrets but overall I feel I've been happier and healthier moving on without them. You'll have to decide if the hurt your brother causes (perhaps unconsciously?) is outweighed by the value you place on maintaining the relationship.

Sorry if that seems heavy.
Adriel Rowley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2023 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Dad's 1964 Ruby Red Beetle Reply with quote

tcoop1100 wrote:
Adriel Rowley wrote:

Family is a whole 'nother can o' worms. I decided I had to separate myself from the rest of my family nearly thirty years ago. I've had regrets but overall I feel I've been happier and healthier moving on without them. You'll have to decide if the hurt your brother causes (perhaps unconsciously?) is outweighed by the value you place on maintaining the relationship.

Sorry if that seems heavy.

Thank you. Very Happy

I agree! Not heavy, just the way the deck was shuffled.

My maternal, maternal side of the family (Huffmans) most of them are whack and don't value family like Dad's family. For example, not heard from my biological mother's sister for years, nor seen the two daughter's after their brother's memorial service (my cousin 13 days older than me strung himself with an extension cord from a tree, 7 December, 2007). I have tried three times to have an approximation of a relationship three times before coming to my senses.

As for my brother, he shows signs of Autism Spectrum and has said so himself, so do believe most is unintentional, though not all. He chose to end the relationship on 6 September of last year. I don't have the burden of ending the relationship, if can even call it that. I do regret it happened, especially that his apathy extends to self improvement (after over three years, he still refuses to distribute part of Dad's estate and let me know how much of my property ended up going to Texas so can get started on hiring a shipper, realized never will see any of it). I figure my niece, who is now eight or nine (they age so fast), can always contact me on her own volition. Communicating with children isn't easy, though rewarding.

On the positive side, I know my maternal grandfather's first cousin, what ever that makes her to me, never could figure it out (I been negligent in writing her letters, doesn't use a telephone). More importantly, I communicate with a number of Dad's first cousins plus occasionally my dear sister (she is a mother of three little children and my brother in law works 60 to 80 hours a week). I started and administer a Facebook group for Dad's maternal side of the family because found out Oma and Dad were the glue, the one's who knew all the family and their goings on, I ended up knowing a lot of the cousins, and so was able to connect them again. Also, me and Dad's cousin both have family archives and hobby of genealogy, so we try and share these documents, photographs, and information.

In case anyone is wondering, I have not had any noticeable improvement to what ever is ailing me (icky feeling, headache, and digestion troubles (though no throwing up or other end effects), so not a cold or influenza) and therefore nothing getting done on Ruby. If there wasn't a day between welding and this, I would wonder if from inhaling the fumes from the burning off of the weld through primer.

tcoop1100
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2023 9:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Dad's 1964 Ruby Red Beetle Reply with quote

As far as family goes, nurture whatever relationship you can with anyone who's interested. I haven't communicated with anyone from either side of my family in at least fifteen years. That said, I've done some digging into my family's genealogy using Ancestry.com which is very useful- but you have to pay, and I know you're on a (limited) fixed income.

On the health front- have you gotten yourself tested for Covid? You never know- my wife and I are Seniors, vaxxed and boosted but still masking whenever we go out from an abundance of caution. Fingers crossed, it's something minor and you'll be OK in a few days.
Take care.
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2023 7:42 am    Post subject: Re: Dad's 1964 Ruby Red Beetle Reply with quote

tcoop1100 wrote:
On the health front- have you gotten yourself tested for Covid? You never know- my wife and I are Seniors, vaxxed and boosted but still masking whenever we go out from an abundance of caution. Fingers crossed, it's something minor and you'll be OK in a few days.
Take care.

SNAFU here wife and I vaccinated and boosted felt slightly ill before Christmas , very mild symptoms 3-4 days. Turns out we had it and didn’t know until we tested positive two weeks ago. Doc says it’s possible to test positive up to 30 days or more even though you’ve recovered.
Adriel Rowley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2023 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: Dad's 1964 Ruby Red Beetle Reply with quote

tcoop1100 wrote:
As far as family goes, nurture whatever relationship you can with anyone who's interested.

Maybe that should be another goal of mine this year, spend more time contacting family. An idea came to even mark on the calendar.

tcoop1100 wrote:
I haven't communicated with anyone from either side of my family in at least fifteen years. That said, I've done some digging into my family's genealogy using Ancestry.com which is very useful- but you have to pay, and I know you're on a (limited) fixed income.

If upset you, sorry.

As for searching for family information, I prefer this free site:https://www.familysearch.org/en/. I like the way they do their family tree, too.

My advice is to be patient, in time, more information will come available. For example, though my maternal side I am related to Samuel Huntington. I get so far and then not find which of the three brothers we are related to.

By the way, 12 days until the last back payment from SSI should come and one of the purchases be 23 and Me. I know basically nothing about my family medical history and like to have a better idea. Shame National Geographic no longer has the DNA test, it was the only one that could determine where the Spanish ancestry came in. My maternal, paternal, great great grandmother immigrated from Ireland and had totally black hair. I suspect her to have Spanish from when the Spanish Armada wrecked off Ireland; my brother the historian agrees.

tcoop1100 wrote:
Take care.

I am going to trust we can be civil on this forum unlike the rest of the country which seems to prefer division. About three years ago was hospitalized for COVID pneumonia and the contagious diseases doctor explained sometimes the test says negative despite being positive because the area infected is too far down for the swab to reach. So, when I have symptoms, don't get tested and instead, I treat it as a positive. I feel do more harm by exposing myself to others. There is no medicine for COVID so does no good going out anyway. In addition, a couple years ago went to urgent care for an intestinal bug and refused to provide any care. Know would go in, they say take some pain killer for the aches and have a nice day.

By the way, because of the wonderful attorney general here in Arizona back in 2021 deciding not to enforce the ADA, so medical transportation will no longer allow service dogs (both Yellow Cab and Uber). This is why I never got the PT for my ankle sprain which still hurts.

This also means if I am sick and need to see a doctor, I have to call an ambulance and go to the emergency room. Since I am on Medicaid this unnecessary expense is paid for by the taxpayers. All because of one idiot. I am hoping the new attorney general will reverse course and enforce the ADA.

Adriel Rowley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2023 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: Dad's 1964 Ruby Red Beetle Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
tcoop1100 wrote:
Take care.

SNAFU here wife and I vaccinated and boosted felt slightly ill before Christmas , very mild symptoms 3-4 days. Turns out we had it and didn’t know until we tested positive two weeks ago. Doc says it’s possible to test positive up to 30 days or more even though you’ve recovered.

I forgot to let you know your care packaged arrived, sorry. Greatly appreciated, thank you! Very Happy

Wow, so then are you isolating?

I have had COVID two or three times, always had a sore throat and runny nose, which I don't have.

Again trusting we are ladies and gentlemen here, I will dare to say I don't trust the FDA. They are the ones who caused my Dad to pass at 72, when his family lives well into their 80s if not well into their 90s (it was also a long death of about three years of being under nourished, he was just over 100 pounds when deceased). It took about 30 years for the negative side effects to be known (patients started getting cancer, most dying of this). There is also a cousin who we nearly lost, younger than me, due to heart damage plus with my previous heart issue and heart conditions on both sides of the family, this greatly concerns me (if I decease, no one will take the dogs). This causes extra responsibly for me, so even the sniffles might be allergies, I treat it as COVID. To be clear, I am not against vaccination, in fact, seems to be reducing the severity of it. I refuse like the rest of politics to firmly join one side, maybe because I lean more towards Utilitarianism than Deontology.

raydog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2023 6:47 am    Post subject: Re: Dad's 1964 Ruby Red Beetle Reply with quote

Just bumping Adriel's thread. It seems that he has not been around in almost a month. Hopefully he is well and just taking some time off. Has anyone heard from him? I really want to see him finally get the Bug up and running.
Adriel Rowley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2023 12:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Dad's 1964 Ruby Red Beetle Reply with quote

raydog wrote:
Just bumping Adriel's thread. It seems that he has not been around in almost a month. Hopefully he is well and just taking some time off. Has anyone heard from him? I really want to see him finally get the Bug up and running.

Thank you for your concern and desire to see Ruby on the road. Very Happy

I got really sick for almost two weeks, then been really weak, tired, and in a fog. Now got a lot of clean up to do, miss the days when folks help each other out, now single folks are all on their own.

Adriel Rowley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2023 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: Dad's 1964 Ruby Red Beetle Reply with quote

Over a month of medical (including a month waiting for bloodwork results), getting to feeling better, though so busy and by the time the day is done, don't feel like posting, just want to assume the horizontal position (doesn't help so few post, have to look at the view count to keep motivated).

Silverline bearings are absolute rubbish, went out of round, found a set that is better quality. Now waiting on a friend to check fit, the internet is so amazing.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Off to set a zipper into a bespoke trouser for myself, while wait for him.

heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2023 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: Dad's 1964 Ruby Red Beetle Reply with quote

Those are really nice bearings.
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Adriel Rowley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2023 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: Dad's 1964 Ruby Red Beetle Reply with quote

heimlich wrote:

Except someone put a tacky sticker on the box and not coming off. Razz

heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2023 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: Dad's 1964 Ruby Red Beetle Reply with quote

Adriel Rowley wrote:
heimlich wrote:

It's like that girlfriend that leaves lipstick in your car. She wants you to remember her.
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Adriel Rowley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2023 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Dad's 1964 Ruby Red Beetle Reply with quote

heimlich wrote:
Adriel Rowley wrote:
heimlich wrote:

It's like that girlfriend that leaves lipstick in your car. She wants you to remember her.

I be upset if she did, hard to get out and spoils the niceness of the interior. Plus, we might part ways and then be a reminder.

Was a nice box, now it has been trashed. Only so many out there, especially how nice this one was, now one less. Oh well, can't cry over spilt milk. Wink

Surprised how quick the seller packaged, sent, and time to get here, so didn't check the mail box (all I get is junk mail and prior residence's mail despite filling out the card and leaving notes for USPS, so walk out once a week unless see a package delivered). Very appreciated! Very Happy

Now if only the case halves would come together...

Adriel Rowley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2023 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Dad's 1964 Ruby Red Beetle Reply with quote

Found a source for the 40 horse shims! The same, fit well, and even made in Germany!

Got stainless for the 0,1mm for longevity.

Also dug though Opa's drill bits, the closest was 0,5mm too big (bearing dowel pins are a press fit), of course. Laughing Finally bought a nice set of metric drill bits, protection plan is how see it. Just maybe can make some progress on getting the engine together before sideswiped again.

Adriel Rowley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2023 4:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Dad's 1964 Ruby Red Beetle Reply with quote

Got a bore gauge, Hazet metric drill bit set (tired of junk, lifetime investment that create superior machining results), and jpaull gave me a great deal on a set of three digital micrometers, the 0-1" was to have a non functioning display, though if handle super gentle can avoid an error code for a while. Then checked all the dowel pin holes, number two that as may recall was not sitting down into the case and causing a significant gap needed the holes made deeper. Got to where the bearing halves feel flush.

Case halves still would not seat all the way together, though better, noticed the rubber grommets were deforming, though not going flat. Suspecting the instructions were incorrect, removed them and finally the case halves went together. Will make a correction to the book, what I get assuming a highly recommended book has no errors.

Main journal bearings one through three are 54.95mm, therefore, puzzled by the journal measurements, re-set the micrometer and used for both setting the bore gauge and measuring the journals. Wondering if it is the Chinese gauge, face isn't accurate. Was hoping to use it to set the end play, however, if at fault...

Moved onto attempting to set up windshield install, firstly, the strap is too long (buy some one inch and use my industrial sewing machine to sort that out, doesn't have to be strong enough to bend the A pillars and crush the glass Razz ) and secondly the trim popped out. Tomorrow when at Ace see if have some clear silicone adhesive, got mangled in the hellish hurried move out of the stolen house.

matthew henricks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2023 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: Dad's 1964 Ruby Red Beetle Reply with quote

Do you have a master for the 2-3" mics? I was trying to use a Polish unit that lost .0008" over the travel of 1".

Regarding the trim on the window seal. I used duct tape around the trim in such a way that it did not get in the way of the pull cord.

Also make sure your glass is all the way seated in the rubber. I found my rubber had a final step for the glass that i was not find so my glass was hard to install. Once i figure these two things out it was a snap.

Ambulance Fan's. https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=627707&highlight=

Parts i am looking for:
64 bug nice used front/rear Black LHD floor mat.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 42, 43, 44 ... 48, 49, 50  Next
Jump to:
Page 43 of 50

Jump to: