Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Dad's 1964 Ruby Red Beetle
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 48, 49, 50  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Adriel Rowley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Dad's 1964 Ruby Red Beetle Reply with quote

Ceckert64 wrote:
The 64s have some one year only stuff and some oddities and mix of 63 and earlier styling with 65 up and its kinda a transition year. If it’s an August 63 production 64, they are practically the 63 body styling. Too much to list. I made a list when I made the 64 registry.

I know the decklid is one year only as T handle with 1965 and later plate light. Ruby is February 1964.

Ceckert64 wrote:
General overview? Laughing I have Type 1, 2, 3, and 4 parts and a decent amount of all and then I had/have parts from split window bug up to water cooled. I have a ton of T3 engine parts, enough for another complete running engine. I have a bunch of 64 parts for 64, one I finish, I can give you a end of restoration deal. I have a bunch of duplicate rubber pieces because I bought the same piece twice. I have literally everything, just random parts of rarely used pieces. I will get the pictures uploaded.

Meh, I can't communicate, the word was a few examples to understand your prices.

Right now just interested in parts for Ruby, so we can wait until yours is done. This be better financial timing, right now with my situations it's tighter than a corset.

I have bins of Type 3 parts, most of it FI parts (ex. every time I found a MPS with a good diaphragm for a reasonable price I bought it). A lot of it is from a 1968 I parted out for an acquaintance which didn't get sold.

I will never own a Type 2 or Type 4. On Type 4, what about reaching out to Ray Greenwood?

Dad's 1964 Beetle purchased September 1968.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9252810#9252810

1971 Sunroof Squareback with Fuel Injection
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=219811&highlight=squareback+rejuvenation
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Adriel Rowley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Dad's 1964 Ruby Red Beetle Reply with quote

Monday night released from the hospital, no home health, no occupational therapy, and no physical therapy. Welcome to Government insurance, where they do everything they can to eliminate costs by attempting to eliminate patients. Laughing With my brain-body disconnect, it is hard knowing what I can and can't do. I think I am fine, then all of a sudden I am short of breath and feel like my heart is going to explode.

I hate taking naps, makes me feel like I am being lazy and childish, yet I am trying to accept sometimes they are necessary. Had a long 45 minute nap, falling back asleep, so decided to see if could make it the 500 or so feet to the mail, neighbor wouldn't get it for me. After a lot of struggle, only made it about 50 feet. Well heck, I'm out here anyway let me have a look at the cooling system.

I am not finding anything remotely looking like the pictures of a 1964 and earlier setup. There are not even any places for anything to attach. So then is this a 1965 and later fan shroud?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=219811&highlight=squareback+rejuvenation
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Dad's 1964 Ruby Red Beetle Reply with quote

if this helps, heres my pre 65 40hp shroud

'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Hosea 4:6 "My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge"
Adriel Rowley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 8:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Dad's 1964 Ruby Red Beetle Reply with quote

Chickensoup wrote:
if this helps, heres my pre 65 40hp shroud

Looks like another case of a 1964 and earlier with a 1965 fan shroud, as look how no means of mounting the control ring mounts, no holes?

Here is the best picture I can find of the 1964 and earlier control ring cooling system showing the rubber mounts.

AutoMechanic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 8:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Dad's 1964 Ruby Red Beetle Reply with quote

Awesome project.
Adriel Rowley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 8:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Dad's 1964 Ruby Red Beetle Reply with quote

AutoMechanic wrote:
Awesome project.

Thanks and appreciation. Very Happy

vwuberalles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: Dad's 1964 Ruby Red Beetle Reply with quote

Here's the backside of the 1300 from my 66 if it helps:

1973 Superbeetle: 1st car, owned since age 12. Update thread --> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9919140#9919140
1967 Kombi: Owned since age 17, Dad's retirement project.
1966 Beetle: My new project. (SOLD) Build thread--> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=678040
Adriel Rowley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: Dad's 1964 Ruby Red Beetle Reply with quote

vwuberalles wrote:
Here's the backside of the 1300 from my 66 if it helps:

It does, appreciated. Very Happy Seems to confirm a 1965 and later fan shroud, another one of Ruby's mysteries.

Now I am thinking just leave the tins alone during the Winter, haven't had any smell or rodent litter blow out, so the airpaths should be clear. Will put in a temporary seal around the engine. Then once have the bread for a 6 volt battery, not only do the conversion, also while the generator stand is off, pull the fan shroud and determine what parts are present and which parts will need to be sourced.

Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: Dad's 1964 Ruby Red Beetle Reply with quote

I believe you have the correct 64 fan shroud but you are missing the throttle ring. I don’t see the bolts for the 65+ thermostat flaps. Likely the throttle ring was taken off with the thermostat. At the bottoms edge of the shroud on the front side, if there are no bolts is a 64

The cooling/throttle ring is not part of the fan shroud. It actually does bolt or attach to it in any way. The control/throttle ring uses a one foot bolt that goes through one of the case bolt holes.

The 65 fan shrouds have internal cooling flaps that are inside the fan shroud attached to it with 8 screws visible from the outside. They are at the lower part of the shroud

Edit #2. I can also see that you don’t have any of the 65 plus linkages and screws. So you have a 62-64 shroud there. Still original!
“Fitz” 1971 Westfalia Poptop
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Adriel Rowley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Dad's 1964 Ruby Red Beetle Reply with quote

Ceckert64 wrote:
I believe you have the correct 64 fan shroud but you are missing the throttle ring. I don’t see the bolts for the 65+ thermostat flaps. Likely the throttle ring was taken off with the thermostat. At the bottoms edge of the shroud on the front side, if there are no bolts is a 64

The cooling/throttle ring is not part of the fan shroud. It actually does bolt or attach to it in any way. The control/throttle ring uses a one foot bolt that goes through one of the case bolt holes.

The 65 fan shrouds have internal cooling flaps that are inside the fan shroud attached to it with 8 screws visible from the outside. They are at the lower part of the shroud

Edit #2. I can also see that you don’t have any of the 65 plus linkages and screws. So you have a 62-64 shroud there. Still original!

I am through and through a Type 3 person and trying to find Type 1 information for some reason feels harder to obtain. I'm thinking part of this is because when was learning Type 3s, I was part of a local community whereas out here, doesn't seem to be as prevalent (certainly the pandemic doesn't help).

So the control ring only sits on the the shroud held by the pressure from the pivot mechanism? How is cooling controlled?

As I understand, I am missing the whole cooling setup?

TinCanFab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Dad's 1964 Ruby Red Beetle Reply with quote

Adriel Rowley wrote:
Ceckert64 wrote:

I am through and through a Type 3 person and trying to find Type 1 information for some reason feels harder to obtain. I'm thinking part of this is because when was learning Type 3s, I was part of a local community whereas out here, doesn't seem to be as prevalent (certainly the pandemic doesn't help).

So the control ring only sits on the the shroud held by the pressure from the pivot mechanism? How is cooling controlled?

The thermostat has a long rod screwed into the top of it. The ring is bolted at the bottom to a shaft with a spring on it. T-stat rod is connected to the shaft with the spring on it. When the rod moves up, the shaft rotates and moves the ring away from the shroud. The rubber stop on the ring keeps it from going to far into the shroud and contacting the fan.

They're never really ever finished 58 rag build...
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=658092
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Dad's 1964 Ruby Red Beetle Reply with quote

Adriel Rowley wrote:
Ceckert64 wrote:
The 64s have some one year only stuff and some oddities and mix of 63 and earlier styling with 65 up and its kinda a transition year. If it’s an August 63 production 64, they are practically the 63 body styling. Too much to list. I made a list when I made the 64 registry.

I know the decklid is one year only as T handle with 1965 and later plate light. Ruby is February 1964.

Ceckert64 wrote:
General overview? Laughing I have Type 1, 2, 3, and 4 parts and a decent amount of all and then I had/have parts from split window bug up to water cooled. I have a ton of T3 engine parts, enough for another complete running engine. I have a bunch of 64 parts for 64, one I finish, I can give you a end of restoration deal. I have a bunch of duplicate rubber pieces because I bought the same piece twice. I have literally everything, just random parts of rarely used pieces. I will get the pictures uploaded.

Meh, I can't communicate, the word was a few examples to understand your prices.

Right now just interested in parts for Ruby, so we can wait until yours is done. This be better financial timing, right now with my situations it's tighter than a corset.

I have bins of Type 3 parts, most of it FI parts (ex. every time I found a MPS with a good diaphragm for a reasonable price I bought it). A lot of it is from a 1968 I parted out for an acquaintance which didn't get sold.

I will never own a Type 2 or Type 4. On Type 4, what about reaching out to Ray Greenwood?

I forgot to reply to this. I will have lots of random rubber seals left over for a 64. I have just a lot of random parts leftover. I honestly not %100 sure what I even have, just odds and ends. I do think I have a thermostat assembly/ throttle ring for warm up. I can cut a good deal on prices, but none of the parts are pretty or shiny Laughing they have seen the harsh roads of Michigan filled with salt and filled with potholes.

Same with T3, ever time I’m at the junkyard I try to get as many FI parts I can find.

For T4, they are engine parts for the engine I’m rebuilding from my bus and I pulled it from a 411.

When you have a list of parts you need, let me know, the parts I have are all over the board and I probably have it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Adriel Rowley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Dad's 1964 Ruby Red Beetle Reply with quote

TinCanFab wrote:
Adriel Rowley wrote:
Ceckert64 wrote:

The thermostat has a long rod screwed into the top of it. The ring is bolted at the bottom to a shaft with a spring on it. T-stat rod is connected to the shaft with the spring on it. When the rod moves up, the shaft rotates and moves the ring away from the shroud. The rubber stop on the ring keeps it from going to far into the shroud and contacting the fan.

Thank you for explaining. Very Happy Interesting the further the ring moves away, the more airflow is allowed to pass.

Adriel Rowley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Dad's 1964 Ruby Red Beetle Reply with quote

Ceckert64 wrote:
Adriel Rowley wrote:
Ceckert64 wrote:

Ceckert64 wrote:

I forgot to reply to this. I will have lots of random rubber seals left over for a 64. I have just a lot of random parts leftover. I honestly not %100 sure what I even have, just odds and ends. I do think I have a thermostat assembly/ throttle ring for warm up. I can cut a good deal on prices, but none of the parts are pretty or shiny Laughing they have seen the harsh roads of Michigan filled with salt and filled with potholes.

Same with T3, ever time I’m at the junkyard I try to get as many FI parts I can find.

For T4, they are engine parts for the engine I’m rebuilding from my bus and I pulled it from a 411.

When you have a list of parts you need, let me know, the parts I have are all over the board and I probably have it.

As I said, no hurry, especially as I just got home Monday night from the hospital. Defiantly have pneumonia and have tested positive for COVID, said be at least a couple months recovery. Thing is I only went out a few times, wore a mask, constantly washed my hands, and sanitized my EDCs every time I came home, and still got it. So, all this about how it can be avoided is false, unless completely stay at home and no visitors. I believe it will be a long recovery, I am stuck using a damn four wheel walker, can't fix meals, and only do light work. However, I am blessed because I am not on oxygen, I can get out of bed, and most important, I am alive! Very Happy

As for the cosmetic aesthetic of parts used on Ruby, I have always been function over form. When I rebuilt the Type 3 engine, I only cleaned the tins and shrouds. Same for when rebuilt the front and rear suspension, clean and rebuild. So, I am glad I can cross off finding the cooling system parts, that leaves an unobtanium windshield. Laughing

Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: Dad's 1964 Ruby Red Beetle Reply with quote

That's fine, take as much time as you need. Dang, that sounds horrible. Recovering from surgery with Covid and pneumonia Shocked , sounds like your doing good considering the circumstances. Hopefully you can get better soon! Going at it with a positive attitude will help!

I Might be replacing the windshield in my bug because it has a crack halfway down the middle on the outer layer of glass, but it is original. So If you are interested let me know

Get better soon, Aiden
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: Dad's 1964 Ruby Red Beetle Reply with quote

Damn, sounds sucky. God bless.
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Hosea 4:6 "My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge"
Adriel Rowley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: Dad's 1964 Ruby Red Beetle Reply with quote

Ceckert64 wrote:
That's fine, take as much time as you need. Dang, that sounds horrible. Recovering from surgery with Covid and pneumonia Shocked , sounds like your doing good considering the circumstances. Hopefully you can get better soon! Going at it with a positive attitude will help!

I believe it could actually be worse, at least didn't get sick immediately after the surgery. Plus, a bacterial pneumonia so can take antibiotics to help be rid of it. And yes, I do try and stay positive, it isn't always easy, however, it is the best way to heal.

Ceckert64 wrote:
I Might be replacing the windshield in my bug because it has a crack halfway down the middle on the outer layer of glass, but it is original. So If you are interested let me know

Hey, better than nothing. When do you think you will decide? Happen to have a picture, just curious?

Ceckert64 wrote:
Get better soon, Aiden

Appreciated! Very Happy

Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: Dad's 1964 Ruby Red Beetle Reply with quote

I’m not sure if you can see the crack but there was a stone chip and as I pulled the last 3in to install it, it cracked
Adriel Rowley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Dad's 1964 Ruby Red Beetle Reply with quote

Ceckert64 wrote:

I’m not sure if you can see the crack but there was a stone chip and as I pulled the last 3in to install it, it cracked

What a bummer you were so close. Sad That is to me minor, looks like most be behind the mirror, certainly far less than the one that's broken here. More important, would keep the water out. Again, appreciate the offer, please keep me updated. Very Happy

bad91teg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2020 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: Dad's 1964 Ruby Red Beetle Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
Don’t throw nothing away till you are positive it ain’t needed. Most new parts are crap try to refurbish what you can. Fabulous story lotsa help here just ask Very Happy I’d try some rubbing compound and then wax the paint to see what you have, you might be surprised
this is some GREAT advice. sorry adriel I had to come back to the beginning of the thread . lol I kinda wanted to refresh my memory with the 64 . anyways keep moving on your dads bug. and have you compound and waxed the bug ? not sure if your planning on painting it or ? if your not painting it I say wax it up ! I bet it would put some wind in the sail lol .and it would be some good update pics for the thread .
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 48, 49, 50  Next
Jump to:
Page 16 of 50

Jump to: