Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Dad's 1964 Ruby Red Beetle
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 48, 49, 50  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Adriel Rowley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2020 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Dad's 1964 Ruby Red Beetle Reply with quote

bad91teg wrote:
Zundfolge1432 wrote:
Don’t throw nothing away till you are positive it ain’t needed. Most new parts are crap try to refurbish what you can. Fabulous story lotsa help here just ask Very Happy I’d try some rubbing compound and then wax the paint to see what you have, you might be surprised

this is some GREAT advice. sorry adriel I had to come back to the beginning of the thread . lol I kinda wanted to refresh my memory with the 64 . anyways keep moving on your dads bug. and have you compound and waxed the bug ? not sure if your planning on painting it or ? if your not painting it I say wax it up ! I bet it would put some wind in the sail lol .and it would be some good update pics for the thread .

Please don't be sorry, I appreciate you taking the time to go back, especially since it seems I kind of missed this about compounding the paint.

A long while back, did try with absolutely no success. Then before surgery I had a bottle of a cleaner as headed to clean something else and for some reason sprayed some on the door where there was still compound. It stripped the oxidation. Shocked Long story short, I use the cleaner and 1000 grit, got a lot done, however, a lot more to do. For some reason the paint shop shot a bright orange paint over most of the body, my guess is someone was color blind. So where the red respray has worn through, this shows. At first, found it very off putting, however, kind of grown on me as part of Ruby's story. I bet if bothered me enough, I could go to the original factory paint, be a lot more work.

Bumming around eBay looking for a DA, found a vintage Black and Decker with some of the original pads in good shape, didn't seem well used and worn out. Should do for a few years until have the bread for a nicer DA, though Dad's Black and Decker woodworking tools from about the same time he used regularly and now I am still. Also bought a variety pack of new hoods, Blue Magic 12A TR-3 Resin Glaze, Meguiar's G7101FFP Gold Class Car Wash, and Mothers 05750 California Gold Pure Brazilian Carnauba Liquid Wax. I don't see me getting this done this year with the COVID, however, at least have them for when can.

Dad's 1964 Beetle purchased September 1968.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9252810#9252810

1971 Sunroof Squareback with Fuel Injection
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=219811&highlight=squareback+rejuvenation
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Adriel Rowley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: Dad's 1964 Ruby Red Beetle Reply with quote

Good morning y'all, hope staying warm in this unusually cold Winter.

Got the generator belt replaced, decide to see how well start in this cold, and the solenoid finally quit.

Looking at the starter and comparing the level of surface rust to the heater box, doesn't give me a warm fuzzy feeling. Not saying replace on cosmetics, just that putting on a new solenoid to get me by doesn't seem the best plan.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=219811&highlight=squareback+rejuvenation
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AutoMechanic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Dad's 1964 Ruby Red Beetle Reply with quote

Nice beetle. I wouldn’t replace the solenoid if it didn’t need to be replaced. Cool
Adriel Rowley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Dad's 1964 Ruby Red Beetle Reply with quote

AutoMechanic wrote:
Nice beetle. I wouldn’t replace the solenoid if it didn’t need to be replaced. Cool

Thank you for the complement and reply. Well, the solenoid sticking has gotten worse and worse, now every time try and crank, it sticks. Without engagement, there is no cranking.

AutoMechanic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Dad's 1964 Ruby Red Beetle Reply with quote

Adriel Rowley wrote:
AutoMechanic wrote:

Thank you for the complement and reply. Well, the solenoid sticking has gotten worse and worse, now every time try and crank, it sticks. Without engagement, there is no cranking.

Oh ok must of missed that part. I understand. So it might be time for one then. Temporarily you can tap it with a hammer. Smile
Adriel Rowley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Dad's 1964 Ruby Red Beetle Reply with quote

This recovery and catch up taking longer than would like, yesterday evening tried the Blue Magic 12A TR-3 Resin Glaze on the used 1980s Black and Decker DA I bought before all this. Didn't see a huge difference compared to the wet sanded, though there is now a bit of shine. I think part of it was not knowing what to use, was using the terry bonnet over the foam backer. The oxidized paint was the starting point, I am going to see if can skip wet sanding.

Long story short, have unused pads with loop backing from when using a SA and the DA does not have the necessary hook fabric.

What do y'all think of attaching adhesive backed hook onto the DA?

Only thing is only comes on a 25 yard roll for $40, ouch, more than the DA. Anyone have an interest? Ideas?

TIA

Adriel Rowley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Dad's 1964 Ruby Red Beetle Reply with quote

First a curiosity, why the fenders stamped with numbers?

Well, another surprise, turns out there is no original paint on the driver rear fender, thankfully a German fender though. When I put a little EvapoRust gel, the conversion plus running my hand over, flaked off not just paint, primer down to bare metal. Does have the neon orange the paint shop did first, so most likely replaced then. My educated guess is the fender was not cleaned well enough, especially if NOS with the preservative coating?

What I find odd/aggravation is not all of the neon orange had primer over and on the passenger side have not found orange, do wonder if the top coat was even one color. Come on folks, painting a vehicle isn't rocket science, though helps if the painter has a brain.

Tried resin glaze on the oxidation, without 1000 grit wet sanding, not enough of an improvement when compared to rubbing compound.

Comparing 1000 grit wet sandpaper and then resin glaze to rubbing then 3M polishing compound, there is more shine with the former, though to me feels smoother with the latter. So as much as hate waste, considering compounding the entire roof and maybe the passenger side.

Adriel Rowley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Dad's 1964 Ruby Red Beetle Reply with quote

After thinking about it, decided not to trust the wax keep the bare metal from rusting. Then decided since going to dust on some Rustolium, why not remove the dent in the fender. Plus, seems right the first dent to be removed from Ruby, the only one Dad caused in the over 30 years of driving her, is the one from avoiding one of our toys as he was backing out of the garage for work. Have to say, a good driver as only a tap, say about 5mm to 8mm deep.

First, before getting started, removed the tail light housing to do things right, glad I did. Eek.

And despite the lack of tools and first dent removed, I think turned out well.

Then got curious, what if the worse damaged fender, the one with a deep crease, could be removed? I thought I had a better top down before picture.

I first started taking a couple swings with the flat side of a 2x4, really move metal inward, did work.

Next, I went after the fender lip, totally forgetting again to take before pictures, was completely folded over and under, here have started using slip joint pliers to pull the lip out to get access to the crease.

If had a pick hammer, bet could have gotten even more out, however, I am very satisfied, mostly because turns out the fender seems can be saved. My thinking is how many get this low or even fewer look at the fender lip?

bad91teg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Dad's 1964 Ruby Red Beetle Reply with quote

really good to see you moving forward with your dads old bug .
Adriel Rowley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 9:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Dad's 1964 Ruby Red Beetle Reply with quote

Decided best to pull the fender, glad I did. Though, I didn't need to remove one bolt.

Turns out not only rust in the seam as expected,

the metal between the bumper mount(s) is gone and the mount moves by hand.

There is also a crack in the end of the fender, center of tread.

Adriel Rowley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 9:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Dad's 1964 Ruby Red Beetle Reply with quote

bad91teg wrote:
really good to see you moving forward with your dads old bug .

Appreciated. Very Happy Part being bummed about the starter and part a Cousin to virtually help clear out the den (became a catch all after Dad past). Then was realizing how I had not spend time outside in weeks and remembering what my Sister said, then a friend saying I was mentally exhausted.

Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 9:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Dad's 1964 Ruby Red Beetle Reply with quote

Good to see you are back at it! I hope you are doing better. Have you recovered from the surgeries well?

Aiden
“Fitz” 1971 Westfalia Poptop
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Adriel Rowley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 9:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Dad's 1964 Ruby Red Beetle Reply with quote

Ceckert64 wrote:
Good to see you are back at it! I hope you are doing better. Have you recovered from the surgeries well?

Aiden

Aiden, I was basically recovered from surgery when got the COVID and double pneumonia. Still have times of mental fog, though defiantly far better than when first got the COVID.

I also have PT twice a week taking my time, however, I am already feeling so much more able to work on Ruby or vehicles than in have in years. Want more?

bad91teg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: Dad's 1964 Ruby Red Beetle Reply with quote

ready for more sir lol Popcorn glad your getting thru health problems ! man you been thru alot . sending you strength and well wishes .!! hope we have a good year fixing our bugs . keep positive and move forward my vw brother
Adriel Rowley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: Dad's 1964 Ruby Red Beetle Reply with quote

bad91teg wrote:
ready for more sir lol Popcorn glad your getting thru health problems ! man you been thru alot . sending you strength and well wishes .!! hope we have a good year fixing our bugs . keep positive and move forward my vw brother

Ha! Well, I need to be careful as PT in a few minutes and not again until Friday. Wink

Appreciate the care and well wishes. Well, I been through worse and we know it will get better.

A good year be getting a replacement starter and the MVD opening so can get Ruby inspected, titled, and registered. What be a good year for you?

Adriel Rowley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Dad's 1964 Ruby Red Beetle Reply with quote

Back at it today, totally exhausted, however, in a positive sense.

Cut the donor patches first thing this morning.

Looking things over, had the idea to try if enough room with the muffler and heater boxes removed, not hard at all except one bolt, up top, forward, right holding the front of the heater box. Sure glad I have this small 3/8 inch drive ratchet, even a stubby wrench would not suffice. Same size as 1/4 inch drive without having to have a set of 1/4 inch drive sockets taking up space, highly recommend obtaining one, I honestly have used many times and don't know how I could be without.

Pulling the tin first, immediately noticed something incorrect, can you spot them?

Here is the answer.

Will say there are about a half dozen missing screws and about four or five missing washers too.

Did find the hidden part of the engine is also fairly clean.

Even better, finding that the muffler is a pre 1990 West German. What surprised me is how significantly lighter than a Type 3 muffler. Hear no rust inside and a small pinhole on the top side of one of the pipes, plus a rather large dent on one side (corresponding dent on the apron).

Found interesting the pipes scrapped something for years, then not for a long time. Best guess be our childhood home which was sold in the divorce of 1994, which has a steep and short part of the driveway (to allow a flat pad in front of the garage). Or is it peculiar I ponder Ruby's history?

There is another relay, stock? I am thinking not as looks like a second starter relay.

And onto the rust, bet these are the worst in the whole body.

vwuberalles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: Dad's 1964 Ruby Red Beetle Reply with quote

Your dad's cussing when he dragged that tailpipe is probably still resonating inside the car!
1973 Superbeetle: 1st car, owned since age 12. Update thread --> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9919140#9919140
1967 Kombi: Owned since age 17, Dad's retirement project.
1966 Beetle: My new project. (SOLD) Build thread--> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=678040
Adriel Rowley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 8:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Dad's 1964 Ruby Red Beetle Reply with quote

vwuberalles wrote:
Your dad's cussing when he dragged that tailpipe is probably still resonating inside the car!

Laughing Very nice!

On a serious note, Dad was adamantly against swear words, including words involving sexual intercourse (ex. "screw it"), even cr@p was not allowed, as offensive to Thomas Crapper (he even owned the book History of the Toilet which I highly recommend reading).

That is not to say Dad didn't get angry, when he was his favorite word was asinine. Hmmm... Laughing So it be something along "That asinine builder..." Laughing

Adriel Rowley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Dad's 1964 Ruby Red Beetle Reply with quote

I am so flat out exhausted I didn't make it back out to take pictures, crashed, had supper, and soon headed for early horizontal position.

Well, I seem to have not considered how I was going to use the cutter/grinder to cut the inner fender rust... Embarassed Laughing I am mulling getting cutting disks for my Dremel, any opinions?

My friend is concerned with removing the bumper mounts for access as be hard to get the alignment correct later.

Moved onto wire wheeling all the other rust spots, the one inside the lower forward part of the passenger side wheel arch turned out to be a far wider hole, though only one layer deep, thinking of seeing if can fill with weld rather than attempt to cut one layer out?

Over all, not much more than suspected.

Maybe even less as when went over the crusty section between the driver seat and the partition, nothing larger than about a nickel.

While thinking on that cutting, rather than drag out the welder for one or two welds, got back to addressing the oxidation, roof has had the whole rubbed out. One day I will get to polishing, seems other things take longer than expected.

Adriel Rowley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 7:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Dad's 1964 Ruby Red Beetle Reply with quote

Seems I forgot to put in the 4 March update, all I can remember is more rubbing compound, this time on the roof and maybe the side? Not like anyone be interested in finite details like that?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The high temperature was only 87 degrees Fahrenheit, however, a humid 18 percent relative humidity, which wearing twill overalls, was a tad frustrating the sweat dripping in my eyes and onto my glasses.

Morning was rubbing compound on the hood, fixing the other crease in the driver's front fender (forgot pictures as sometimes get working and forget to document...), then rubbing compound that fender. While doing so, the temporary hook gave out, so got the replacement on.

Have yet to try it as removed the bumper and then decided, thinking I had
Rust-Oleum to do touchup, apparently not, to correct the front apron.

This dent was interesting to get out, both being a crease and limited access. Used a 2x4 as a pry to push it out.

Moved onto the bumper bracket holes, this required putting on my thinking cap, as Oma would say. First, had success on the lower with pliers as a pry tool.

The top was a challenge, the driver side being the most as the crease was right against the inner fender, came up with using several 2x4s to support and cushion, a scissor jack, pressing on a body working spoon. Worked really well. Also left it in as a dolly to finish the top hole (the whole edge was mangled).

And the finished results.

What do think about keeping the dent from one of Dad's trips into the desert? As can see, barely visible (driver side 2/3s over from the fender), especially as how often does one get this low? Crazy idea?

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 48, 49, 50  Next
Jump to:
Page 17 of 50

Jump to: