Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Dad's 1964 Ruby Red Beetle
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 48, 49, 50  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 9:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Dad's 1964 Ruby Red Beetle Reply with quote

Good to see so much work getting done and that you are recovering! I know it was a struggle a few months ago.

That rust isn’t horrible. You could possibly cut a piece of scrap metal and depending on how far the rust extends, you could get away with cutting halfway on the backside bumper bracket lip of the rusted metal and weld a new piece in without having to remove the brackets and lose alignment. Or you could lap weld it. Either way, I don’t think it is too sever yet to where it could fall off.

Once you polish it up it will look so much better. Look at the befores and afters in my Squareback thread on polishing it up. The difference is amazing and is worth the time.

I like the dent removal techniques, very creative Laughing I don’t think that bottom dent will be noticeable. Only you will notice it, but even knowing that, those kind of things will still bug me on my cars though. So if you don’t mind it, might as well leave it, it adds character, then that means my Squareback has a lot of character! Laughing

Looking good, Aiden
“Fitz” 1971 Westfalia Poptop
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Adriel Rowley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 9:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Dad's 1964 Ruby Red Beetle Reply with quote

Ceckert64 wrote:
Good to see so much work getting done and that you are recovering! I know it was a struggle a few months ago.

Appreciate the kindness. I still don't seem to have 100 percent energy, however, glad to have what I have! Very Happy

Ceckert64 wrote:
That rust isn’t horrible. You could possibly cut a piece of scrap metal and depending on how far the rust extends, you could get away with cutting halfway on the backside bumper bracket lip of the rusted metal and weld a new piece in without having to remove the brackets and lose alignment. Or you could lap weld it. Either way, I don’t think it is too sever yet to where it could fall off.

Are you saying cut the bumper mount in half?

I swear I mentioned making pattern. I am only doing to the curve, rust goes about 8 10 centimeters further forward. Reason being is the heads are in the way (and at this time trying not to keep adding projects especially working solo out front for all to see and not easy having my four legged helper). I plan to shoot bar and chain oil into the cavity to stop the spread.

I would think in an accident there be more damage caused by not adding back at least something?

Again, thought I said using patches cut from the roof of a Mercedes parts wagen. A little too thick, however, with the way the edges are, not going to be apparent, especially once the muffler is back in.

Once the stimulus cheque comes into account, get the cut off wheels, plus other bits and bobs.

Ceckert64 wrote:
Once you polish it up it will look so much better. Look at the befores and afters in my Squareback thread on polishing it up. The difference is amazing and is worth the time.

Actually, I am doing it because of mental well being. Came home from PT and made me so happy to see the red door. Also hoping the sealer and/or wax keeps the rust at bay, unless I do touchup (slightly undecided on the front fender). Good exercise too.

By the way, some paint will not come back, one being Marina Blau as it looses its green tone and becomes a light blue instead. As a side note, when do paint the Squareback, will use green primer as I love that green tone, a very beautiful blue (though I rather have green). Plus, when I did the Squareback it kept going to primer or a lot of rust... Still might try a light polish and wax just so a little less crummy looking, though that seems far in the future...

Ceckert64 wrote:
I like the dent removal techniques, very creative Laughing I don’t think that bottom dent will be noticeable. Only you will notice it, but even knowing that, those kind of things will still bug me on my cars though. So if you don’t mind it, might as well leave it, it adds character, then that means my Squareback has a lot of character! Laughing

Well, how would you do it? Razz Laughing And almost forgot my manners, thank you for the compliment.

I can always come back later and knock it out if does bother me now that think on what you say.

Looking good, Aiden[/quote]

You must be tired? Wink (Look at my username.)

Dad's 1964 Beetle purchased September 1968.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9252810#9252810

1971 Sunroof Squareback with Fuel Injection
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=219811&highlight=squareback+rejuvenation
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
matthew henricks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Dad's 1964 Ruby Red Beetle Reply with quote

Just realized Adriel that you had a 64 thread going as well. I have 22 pages to read now.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Adriel Rowley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: Dad's 1964 Ruby Red Beetle Reply with quote

matthew henricks wrote:
Just realized Adriel that you had a 64 thread going as well. I have 22 pages to read now.

And this is an issue? Razz

On a serious note, thank you for finding and reading through.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=219811&highlight=squareback+rejuvenation
Adriel Rowley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 7:14 pm    Post subject: Rubbing done. For now... Reply with quote

My gastrointestinal system had apparently made plans for the weekend, only got a little done. So, since set back a week and realizing this process is going to take far more time, will provide the over all picture as requested as a comparison of the burnt orange oxidized paint and back to Ruby red after only rubbing compound.

Before.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

And after rubbing compound.

What I am trying to decide is if I dust some paint on the bare spots, it has the risk of becoming a mouse a cheese situation. Any input welcome.

Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 5:35 am    Post subject: Re: Dad's 1964 Ruby Red Beetle Reply with quote

It looks good! If it is bare metal, I could protect it with something. Maybe even something like a clear coat. I think they sell something like a clear coat in rattle cans. I think the patina on it looks good.

I cant think of a great way to explain the bumper mount. not cut the mount in half though. On the part if you were in an accident, it would probably be better to have the brackets more sturdy.

Quote:
Quote:
Looking good, Aiden

Laughing I was a bit tired, I'll try it again

Keep up the good work Adriel, looks good

Aiden[/quote]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Adriel Rowley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Dad's 1964 Ruby Red Beetle Reply with quote

Ceckert64 wrote:
It looks good! If it is bare metal, I could protect it with something. Maybe even something like a clear coat. I think they sell something like a clear coat in rattle cans. I think the patina on it looks good.

What I am now thinking is getting color match lacquer and paint the rear left fender, not prepared and paint coming off in large flakes, and front right, as told lacquer will burn into the existing paint and blend in. Then come Fall if the front left rust bothers me too much, paint it. Other then that, all be left alone. What do you think?

Ceckert64 wrote:
I cant think of a great way to explain the bumper mount. not cut the mount in half though. On the part if you were in an accident, it would probably be better to have the brackets more sturdy.

What about doing a private YouTube sent in a private message? I find at times I do better speaking the idea then writing it.

More sturdy as in adding additional to what already is there?

Ceckert64 wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
Looking good, Aiden

Laughing I was a bit tired, I'll try it again

Keep up the good work Adriel, looks good

Aiden

Glad you can laugh, great.

Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Dad's 1964 Ruby Red Beetle Reply with quote

Car looks great!
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Hosea 4:6 "My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge"
Adriel Rowley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 2:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Dad's 1964 Ruby Red Beetle Reply with quote

Chickensoup wrote:
Car looks great!

Thank you! Very Happy

If anyone is wondering, there was a family situation plus thought take a day and sew up a pair of drapes, its been three days... Rolling Eyes Laughing

Adriel Rowley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 9:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Dad's 1964 Ruby Red Beetle Reply with quote

I know this isn't specifically Ruby, both of them.

Nothing like a coward neighbor to light a fire under your arse and get you out of a funk. I was in a funk as "brother" (as he is no longer family, didn't even call him on his birthday which felt really bizarre) made it impossible to purchase anything for her, then warm weather came, then the excuses came... Carport cleared out (amazing how much damage is done and stuff accumulates when for three years have severe depression), concrete cleaned, Ruby now back on all fours, and her fender bolted on part way.

Any ideas how to start Ruby with no starter, no one to push, and no hill?

I am thinking of one of trying this:

Link

Hopefully I am making sense, over eight hours in mid 90s weather, got that feeling when you have been at the beach too long.

Adriel Rowley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 7:00 am    Post subject: Re: Dad's 1964 Ruby Red Beetle Reply with quote

Why is it family has to be so difficult? Add to it difficult neighbors and becomes even more fun, so much fun get to spend time on the throne. Laughing Now with that over, feel I have the headspace to get more important things done.

I swear somewhere on here someone offered a windshield, now that I try and find the post, eludes me. I wanted to know why I didn't move forward with the offer, can you please refresh my memory, or lack thereof?

With rebuilt starters being financially out of reach (part of in the past family fun), looked thought the sites advert section and nothing useable. Do see NOS solenoids, would that be a reasonable solution to the sticking on issue?

I am kicking myself as had an offer of a free one and accidently said something too honest. Oh well, not the first time and nor will it be the last, part of life. We can only do our best.

Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: Dad's 1964 Ruby Red Beetle Reply with quote

Deep within this box there are at least a dozen good used starters and I’m almost positive they are all 12volt. If this is what you need I’ll give you one, you should send me a PM and we can figure out how to do this.
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Dad's 1964 Ruby Red Beetle Reply with quote

Hi adriel. If you were referring to me, i dont remember you saying anything i found not cool. Just havent gotten around to responding to your pm. I found the T stat bracket too. I have one that looks to be aftermarket aluminum, and then i have the original steel ones. Which one do you prefer? I also have a used thermostat if you need one. Im keeping my NOS one tho Cool Smile

My step moms being a little(really weird) right now, so i dont want to bug her about using her paypal right now, but i will get everything boxed up. If you want if faster, you could send a money order lol. but i dont think many people use those. Not anyone i know at least.

You got lucky too. This one is even a bosch starter. Although i think its remanufactured. I was told it was new or almost new. Sure looks new.
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Dad's 1964 Ruby Red Beetle Reply with quote

Good to see that you are back at it! Hopefully it cools down a bit down there.
I ha do offered the windshield. Since I’m going fully restore my bug, the OG one had a crack down the middle from a stone chip and a little fogging in the corners. I think I also have some other parts you had needed.
Adriel Rowley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 2:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Dad's 1964 Ruby Red Beetle Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
Deep within this box there are at least a dozen good used starters and I’m almost positive they are all 12volt. If this is what you need I’ll give you one, you should send me a PM and we can figure out how to do this.

Appreciate the offer, goes to show what a great community this is, thank you. Very Happy

Adriel Rowley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 2:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Dad's 1964 Ruby Red Beetle Reply with quote

Chickensoup wrote:
Hi adriel. If you were referring to me, i dont remember you saying anything i found not cool. Just havent gotten around to responding to your pm. I found the T stat bracket too. I have one that looks to be aftermarket aluminum, and then i have the original steel ones. Which one do you prefer? I also have a used thermostat if you need one. Im keeping my NOS one tho Cool Smile

My step moms being a little(really weird) right now, so i dont want to bug her about using her paypal right now, but i will get everything boxed up. If you want if faster, you could send a money order lol. but i dont think many people use those. Not anyone i know at least.

You got lucky too. This one is even a bosch starter. Although i think its remanufactured. I was told it was new or almost new. Sure looks new.

I don't have any of the intake air control parts, the venturi ring, the linkage, the thermostat bracket, nor the thermostat, all removed based on Muir's advice (ditto with the choke, now corrected).

Well I have used money orders in the past, still would though cost me $6 in cabbie fare, plus what the Credit Union cost.

Adriel Rowley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 2:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Dad's 1964 Ruby Red Beetle Reply with quote

Chickensoup wrote:

I don't have any of the cooling air control parts, the venturi ring, the linkage, the thermostat bracket, nor the thermostat, all removed based on Muir's advice (ditto with the choke, now corrected).

Well I have used money orders in the past, still would though cost me $6 in cabbie fare, plus what the Credit Union cost.

Adriel Rowley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Dad's 1964 Ruby Red Beetle Reply with quote

Ceckert64 wrote:
Good to see that you are back at it! Hopefully it cools down a bit down there.
I ha do offered the windshield. Since I’m going fully restore my bug, the OG one had a crack down the middle from a stone chip and a little fogging in the corners. I think I also have some other parts you had needed.

Thank you for the reminder, appreciated. Very Happy

If I remember correctly based on a picture, the crack wasn't past the mirror?

I was on the lookout for seatbelts and driver side pan patch, IIRC. I thought we were still looking.

PM sent, by the way.

Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Dad's 1964 Ruby Red Beetle Reply with quote

Adriel Rowley wrote:
Chickensoup wrote:

I don't have any of the intake air control parts, the venturi ring, the linkage, the thermostat bracket, nor the thermostat, all removed based on Muir's advice (ditto with the choke, now corrected).

alright. i will pm you 2marrow. ill be down in FL but i should be able to have my dad send you the starter for me while im away. i dont have the venturi ring, but i do have a t stat bracket. the rest, unfortunately you will need to source out. im sure if you ask the other Aiden nicely he can hook you up with the other pieces.
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Dad's 1964 Ruby Red Beetle Reply with quote

I should have the thermostat pieces. To be honest, that Venturi ring thermostat system is a pain. It’s a pain to adjust. If it is adjusted wrong it will hit the fan and make lovely noises. I have a mostly complete setup if you want it. If I were you, upgrade to a 65 and up setup, that may be easier.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 48, 49, 50  Next
Jump to:
Page 18 of 50

Jump to: