Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Dad's 1964 Ruby Red Beetle
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 48, 49, 50  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2022 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Dad's 1964 Ruby Red Beetle Reply with quote

toxicavenger70 wrote:
Chickensoup wrote:
unfortunately, the electric pressure washers suck. Theyre not very powerful and they dont live long.

Id look on marketplace for a good used gas powered pump.

If you want to buy and fix your own, the most common issues on them are clogged carbs and sticky relief plungers. Sometimes you get one with a burnt pump.

I have a 10 year old electric power washer that works great. I use it for cleaning suspension parts, engines, siding and driveways with no issues. I do keep it stored in a shed, I don't think anything electric should be stored outside. The biggest issue I ever have is a clogged nozzle.

then maybe your living proof... is it really possible? Laughing Id be interested in buying an electric washer eventually. What model do you have? The ones ive used are the green units you find at lowes.
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Hosea 4:6 "My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
toxicavenger70
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2022 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Dad's 1964 Ruby Red Beetle Reply with quote

Chickensoup wrote:
toxicavenger70 wrote:
Chickensoup wrote:
unfortunately, the electric pressure washers suck. Theyre not very powerful and they dont live long.

If you want to buy and fix your own, the most common issues on them are clogged carbs and sticky relief plungers. Sometimes you get one with a burnt pump.

I have a 10 year old electric power washer that works great. I use it for cleaning suspension parts, engines, siding and driveways with no issues. I do keep it stored in a shed, I don't think anything electric should be stored outside. The biggest issue I ever have is a clogged nozzle.

then maybe your living proof... is it really possible? Laughing Id be interested in buying an electric washer eventually. What model do you have? The ones ive used are the green units you find at lowes.

Powerworxs from Homedepot. I am not sure they still have it. It has really impressed me for the price. The only thing i wish it did was hot water.
Adriel Rowley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2022 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Dad's 1964 Ruby Red Beetle Reply with quote

toxicavenger70 wrote:
Chickensoup wrote:
toxicavenger70 wrote:
Chickensoup wrote:

Powerworxs from Homedepot. I am not sure they still have it. It has really impressed me for the price. The only thing i wish it did was hot water.

I am loving this thread is helping others! Very Happy

You mean Powerworks?

Looking at a review, found this interesting bit of information:
"Pressure washers in general have the most number of false advertisement claims of any home tool category . I mean you will see outrageous numbers for plenty of pressure washers here on Amazon like 3500 PSI , 2.8 GPM (gallons per minute , i.e how much water the washer pumps per min) for simple 11-13 Amp electric pressure washers. Well the thing is .. it is neigh impossible to achieve anything close to 3500 Psi on a 11-13Amp electric circuit .. i mean even heavy duty gas pressure washers will struggle to reach such high PSI numbers .

Due to this litany of false PSI & GPM numbers, I always recommend buying a PWMA (Pressure Washers Manufactures Association) certified pressure washer . Fortunately this pressure washer from Powerworks is PWMA certified , which means you are getting the advertised 1800 PSI and 1.1 GPM as claimed ."

So, one spends $75 and obtains the results Chickensoup is familiar with or get a certified and know the output is actual.

I be thrilled to get ten years, that says something. Looks like they have a seven year warranty, which seems to confirm last more than five years. Hopefully they have good customer service.

Dad's 1964 Beetle purchased September 1968.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9252810#9252810

1971 Sunroof Squareback with Fuel Injection
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=219811&highlight=squareback+rejuvenation
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Adriel Rowley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2022 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Dad's 1964 Ruby Red Beetle Reply with quote

Before
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

After

Question, should I concern myself over the staining where the axle boot sits?

If I had been advised the issue isn't the flexibility of the boot, rather, the concern is the sealing edges drying and shrinking, which seems to happen before the boot splits, would have understood. Both boots have been cut off and both sides will receive Febi split boots. Das ist alles.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=219811&highlight=squareback+rejuvenation
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2022 8:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Dad's 1964 Ruby Red Beetle Reply with quote

It wouldn't hurt to clean up the trans side plate and the axle housing surfaces while your in there.

Maybe a little steel wool on the axle housing to remove the staining.

Overall you want good sealing surfaces when installing new split boots.

Make sure to level the axle housing when installing the boots

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2022 8:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Dad's 1964 Ruby Red Beetle Reply with quote

hi Adriel. trust me. you will also want to push the small end of the boot closer to the side plate. otherwise the boot flexibility does max out and rather quickly. i hope im making sense.

Basically, when you install the boot... clamp the big side. glue (rtv, yamabond, whatever) and bolt the split flange, and then before you tighten the small clamp make sure to slide that end towards the side plate. then clamp.

apologies if you already were aware of ths bit.

although... this is mainly an issue for the smooth style boots. not the more modern ripple style.

btw, which style are you getting or do you have?
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Adriel Rowley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2022 9:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Dad's 1964 Ruby Red Beetle Reply with quote

67rustavenger wrote:
It wouldn't hurt to clean up the trans side plate and the axle housing surfaces while your in there.

I want to clean the whole of the transmission, the frame horns, underside, and the engine, schmutz holds moisture and makes it difficult to clean up after working.

67rustavenger wrote:
Maybe a little steel wool on the axle housing to remove the staining.

Oops, I forgot to say used steel wool. How about a brass or steel brush on a Dremel?

67rustavenger wrote:
Overall you want good sealing surfaces when installing new split boots.

That is why I held off until sure the surface was acceptable.

67rustavenger wrote:
Make sure to level the axle housing when installing the boots

So no droop down?

Adriel Rowley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2022 10:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Dad's 1964 Ruby Red Beetle Reply with quote

Chickensoup wrote:
hi Adriel. trust me. you will also want to push the small end of the boot closer to the side plate. otherwise the boot flexibility does max out and rather quickly. i hope im making sense.

Basically, when you install the boot... clamp the big side. glue (rtv, yamabond, whatever) and bolt the split flange, and then before you tighten the small clamp make sure to slide that end towards the side plate. then clamp.

apologies if you already were aware of ths bit.

although... this is mainly an issue for the smooth style boots. not the more modern ripple style.

btw, which style are you getting or do you have?

Hi Chickensoup. Very Happy

I rather someone repeat than not say anything. Wink

I believe they are smooth, I can look tomorrow after PT.

Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2022 10:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Dad's 1964 Ruby Red Beetle Reply with quote

All good idea's above.

Yes axle housing level. Otherwise the boot may not clear the support horn.

Also as chickensoup said, you wanna push the small end of the boot toward the trans. It will relieve tension on the boot while it's moving while drive the car.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2022 10:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Dad's 1964 Ruby Red Beetle Reply with quote

All good idea's above.

Also as chickensoup said, you wanna push the small end of the boot toward the trans. It will relieve tension on the boot while it's moving while drive the car.

Adriel Rowley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2022 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Dad's 1964 Ruby Red Beetle Reply with quote

67rustavenger wrote:
All good idea's above.

67rustavenger wrote:
All good idea's above.

Okay. How far in be too much?

toxicavenger70
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2022 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Dad's 1964 Ruby Red Beetle Reply with quote

I did about 3/4 to 1" if I recall.
Adriel Rowley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2022 8:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Dad's 1964 Ruby Red Beetle Reply with quote

toxicavenger70 wrote:
I did about 3/4 to 1" if I recall.

Okay, thank you.

Adriel Rowley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2022 9:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Dad's 1964 Ruby Red Beetle Reply with quote

Who knew the internet could be this slow... Laughing

Before supper, I feel I got enough completed.

Using the steel wire on a Dremel (the cup shape immediately becomes a wheel), the transmission was cleaned up. What ever that black stuff was, it was really stuck on.

I remember now what I was going to add to my Amazon order...

Using the angle grinder and a rope disk which is fraying (what I seem to remember being available), cleaned up the axle's sealing surfaces, though being so much rust and having a can of Rust-Oleum semi-gloss, decided to do it right and strip it all.

Apparently forgot to purchase a new roll of masking tape, wasn't going to let it paralyze me. I am not looking for perfection, just short term protection.

Wet paint.

Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2022 9:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Dad's 1964 Ruby Red Beetle Reply with quote

Adriel Rowley wrote:
67rustavenger wrote:
All good idea's above.

67rustavenger wrote:
All good idea's above.

With a Febi boot?
I never managed more than a 1/2". They fight pretty hard to be in the relaxed position. (Meaning as injected, and cooled)

Good work on the trans side plate and the axle housings!

Last edited by 67rustavenger on Wed Jan 05, 2022 10:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Adriel Rowley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2022 10:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Dad's 1964 Ruby Red Beetle Reply with quote

67rustavenger wrote:
Adriel Rowley wrote:
67rustavenger wrote:
All good idea's above.

67rustavenger wrote:
All good idea's above.

With a Febi boot?
I never managed more than a 1/2". They fight pretty hard to be in the relaxed position. (Meaning as extruded, and cooled)

Good work on the trans side plate and the axle housings!

Plan is Febi boots tomorrow, but you know what they say about good intentions...

Warm the boot in some warm water? I do have a stock pot and I am single. Wink

Thank you for the compliment, really helps! Very Happy

vwuberalles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2022 8:51 am    Post subject: Re: Dad's 1964 Ruby Red Beetle Reply with quote

Warm water may not be the best idea. If it's still damp when you install it it might trap moisture inside and cause rust. A hair dryer or just leaving the boot out in the sun for awhile before you install it would probably be safer.
1973 Superbeetle: 1st car, owned since age 12. Update thread --> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9919140#9919140
1967 Kombi: Owned since age 17, Dad's retirement project.
1966 Beetle: My new project. (SOLD) Build thread--> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=678040
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: Dad's 1964 Ruby Red Beetle Reply with quote

if your using 1 piece boots now, Warm water is absolutely a necessity. no, it wont harm anything. Most the water will be gone by the time you slide the boot over the ridge.

apply a little bit of grease on the lip as well on install. Youll need all the help you can get. use two screw drivers(Carefully!), or possibly just your hands if you can really lucky like me. It took me many tries.
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Adriel Rowley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2022 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: Dad's 1964 Ruby Red Beetle Reply with quote

vwuberalles wrote:
Warm water may not be the best idea. If it's still damp when you install it it might trap moisture inside and cause rust. A hair dryer or just leaving the boot out in the sun for awhile before you install it would probably be safer.

Good point, thank you.

Adriel Rowley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2022 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: Dad's 1964 Ruby Red Beetle Reply with quote

Chickensoup wrote:
if your using 1 piece boots now, Warm water is absolutely a necessity. no, it wont harm anything. Most the water will be gone by the time you slide the boot over the ridge.

apply a little bit of grease on the lip as well on install. Youll need all the help you can get. use two screw drivers(Carefully!), or possibly just your hands if you can really lucky like me. It took me many tries.

I am not going to switch to one piece, especially with the budget being tight thanks to the SSA dragging their feet, probably because of the current Federal government budget issue.

Install on hold, friend recommends adhesive RTV over sealant RTV. Plus, last evening started having an issue which makes working outside difficult (trying to be polite yet not too general). Instead, can once again adjust the toile, but, once all clean, the pattern will be done and no fitting necessary on the fashion fabric.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 48, 49, 50  Next
Jump to:
Page 22 of 50

Jump to: