Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Dad's 1964 Ruby Red Beetle
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 36, 37, 38 ... 48, 49, 50  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Adriel Rowley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2022 6:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Dad's 1964 Ruby Red Beetle Reply with quote

Okay, need some help with the emergency brake cables, please.

Learned something, just because the cables feel tight at the handle does not mean they are tight, had to take the boot off and tighten. Or tried, passenger side was not tightening.

I thought maybe the shoes, found a difference of 0,25mm end to end and 0,5mm between the thickness of the shoes, so swapped the thickets shoe on the driver side (adjusters were significantly further out than the passenger side) to the passenger side.

That led discovering back in February 2020 or so, apparently didn't install this bar. Shocked d'oh! Rolling Eyes Sometimes I wonder how I am able to do anything at all when so stupid. So now on the hunt for the bar and original spring.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Jack, who has posted here on this thread, when sending him the pictures, not only is the passenger side cable's spring section too long, both sides are too long.

Taking some measurements, the passenger axle is further forward, anything wrong with moving it back say 1,0 to 1,5cm to shorten the emergency brake cable?

Jack is super busy, except when going between LA and Sandy Eggo, so we talked then and was a big help with getting things done. Thank you! Very Happy

During the call, got done:
Installing the foam gasket for the fuel tank, the trick is the temporary foam adhesive, took about 10 minutes. It is too big, think do as Jack does and use foam weatherstripping if a next time.
And installed the tank sender. That was lots of fun. Wink

After the call, got the dash lightbulbs all installed.

This leaves for the 6 volt conversion:
Repairing the headlight wiring and install the headlight bulbs so the headlights can be installed (for both, waiting on a friend to provide).
Find a suitable 6 volt relay and replace the 12 volt starter relay under the hood (the one under the vehicle is a 6 volt, not changed when converted to 12 volts).
Installing 6 volt engine components, think all there is is choke, coil, and generator. Or does the oil pressure switch also need to be changed?
And purchase a 6 volt battery.

Dad's 1964 Beetle purchased September 1968.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9252810#9252810

1971 Sunroof Squareback with Fuel Injection
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=219811&highlight=squareback+rejuvenation
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2022 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Dad's 1964 Ruby Red Beetle Reply with quote

Adriel Rowley wrote:

Okay, so how does the wire on the underside run up and into the engine compartment and get to the generator?

Hole that should have grommet.

Last edited by Eric&Barb on Tue Dec 06, 2022 6:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Adriel Rowley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2022 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Dad's 1964 Ruby Red Beetle Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
Adriel Rowley wrote:
Hey Eric, installing the boot, noticed does have the option for heater controls.

Those slits are to allow one to adjust the cable nuts without having to pull the boot all the way off. Pattern of texture of the boot is too early of style, but it wil work

Ah! Well, Dad never installed the boot so never saw the slits being used. Appreciate knowing this, will cut them and install the boot knowing can adjust through the holes. Very Happy

I wondered about the texture, thanks for letting me know it is an early style boot (if understanding you correctly).

What about the red wire under the parcel floor?

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=219811&highlight=squareback+rejuvenation
Adriel Rowley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2022 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Dad's 1964 Ruby Red Beetle Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
Adriel Rowley wrote:

Okay, so how does the wire on the underside run up and into the engine compartment and get to the generator?

Hole that should have grommet.

Appreciate the photograph! Very Happy

Hmmm, the wire doesn't look long enough to reach the generator. Are you sure there are three wires on the terminal?

Three because one from the left front corner of the engine bay I understand from the wiring diagram is to the ignition switch, the one to the starter, and the one going forward under the parcel shelf coming out from under the original undisturbed tar board.

Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2022 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Dad's 1964 Ruby Red Beetle Reply with quote

Adriel Rowley wrote:

Three because one from the left front corner of the engine bay I understand from the wiring diagram is to the ignition switch, the one to the starter, and the one going forward under the parcel shelf coming out from under the original undisturbed tar board.

Red goes to the regulator.

Black cable to positive of battery.

Non-stock green wire that should be red going to the top of the starter solenoid is from ignition switch.
Adriel Rowley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2022 8:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Dad's 1964 Ruby Red Beetle Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
Adriel Rowley wrote:

Non-stock green wire that should be red going to the top of the starter solenoid is from ignition switch.

Eric, some reason my response disappeared or didn't post. Hal. Hal! Laughing

This is a great picture, better than the one I have of Ruby, much appreciated!

By the way, real handy having the wiring diagram in my thread, no longer have to hunt for it. Only thing is I found out both the warning light wires are not the same background color, shows a dark blue and even under the dash it is a slate grey.

Adriel Rowley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2022 8:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Dad's 1964 Ruby Red Beetle Reply with quote

I couldn't make it to the storage unit to hunt for my hearing protection, doubt make it again soon.

A thought crossed my mind. Amazon only sells hearing protection for shooting, does this work with cutting and grinding sheet metal?

If not, how does one find such? Any recommendation?

Doesn't feel like a lot got done, however, something better than nothing.

Getting prepared to do the electrical repairs, found the missing plate lamp. Kind of makes sense, replaced the plate lamp wire. Kind of.

I happened to notice the bracket is specifies a 10 watt bulb, however, I was sold a five watt by a not so great company in Oklahoma (before knew better, now order almost exclusively from Wolfsburg West). Does it matter enough to change?

Went back and worked on the wiring, not a whole lot done, turns out despite the video showing it works, vinegar with salt added does not clean corrosion off wires.

Moved onto the floor pan, battery tray rust and shoddy rust repair cut out (somehow managed to cut down the middle of the welds when cutting the floor pan).

The shop used some super thick plate steel, bet the fuel economy will go up with the weight savings. Laughing

What intrigues me is how much the rust between the two layers, caused by the leaking windshield, pushed the two layers apart. Shocked Without thinking, picked it up off the floor and dumped out a huge pile of rust (despite the lady having a messy garage, I been trying to not to create any mess).

vwuberalles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2022 7:40 am    Post subject: Re: Dad's 1964 Ruby Red Beetle Reply with quote

I'd imagine the hearing protection for shooting would be a fine substitute, if not the same product in different packaging. It certainly won't hurt, and it's better than nothing.
1973 Superbeetle: 1st car, owned since age 12. Update thread --> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9919140#9919140
1967 Kombi: Owned since age 17, Dad's retirement project.
1966 Beetle: My new project. (SOLD) Build thread--> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=678040
Adriel Rowley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2022 7:47 am    Post subject: Re: Dad's 1964 Ruby Red Beetle Reply with quote

vwuberalles wrote:
I'd imagine the hearing protection for shooting would be a fine substitute, if not the same product in different packaging. It certainly won't hurt, and it's better than nothing.

Thank you. Very Happy

Yah, my ear still hurts, the one I damaged when about 19 using a Q-tip and lost all hearing for months, then one morning it was mostly back, does this. Maybe something to do with scar tissue. Certainly not going to complain, glad to have hearing in both ears, super weird having only one. Oh, and do see it as a benefit has can have sympathy of those hearing impaired or deaf.

Adriel Rowley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2022 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Dad's 1964 Ruby Red Beetle Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
Adriel Rowley wrote:

Done?

Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2022 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Dad's 1964 Ruby Red Beetle Reply with quote

Adriel Rowley wrote:

Done?

Looks like it! Would be interesting where the other two wires go off to.....
Adriel Rowley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2022 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Dad's 1964 Ruby Red Beetle Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
Adriel Rowley wrote:

Done?

Looks like it! Would be interesting where the other two wires go off to.....

Great! Thank you for your help, appreciated! 😁

Be more than happy to show you, appreciate a second set of eyes.

One goes into the front side of the firewall, one to generator, one to battery, and one to a vintage “starter” relay.

Adriel Rowley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2022 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Dad's 1964 Ruby Red Beetle Reply with quote

Absolutely knackered and don't feel like I got much done. Let's see:
Repaired four wires, still have one wire to address the broken/crushed insulation and one warning light needs a new end, think best to wait until the engine is in and know have enough length. Looks like the two generator wires to terminal 50 got way too hot, one was burned and melted. Shocked Sure wish Dad was around to ask.
Installed the wires on the starter.
Spent way too much time getting my bench top tool box out of the storage unit, great now having it here. Though some of my tools have gone missing, including all my 1/2" drive sockets and ratchet (had that since I was 12, saved my Birthday and Christmas money, first tools ever).

I am glad changed the connectors, clearly shoddy work, especially this one, the crimp missed the end of the wire. Rolling Eyes

Oh, and my hearing protection has gone missing, so add that to the things to replace because of mean and nasty people. Life goes on.

Adriel Rowley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2022 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Dad's 1964 Ruby Red Beetle Reply with quote

With the cold weather (lost feeling in my feet) and the aches, moved slow today and only got done:
Cut the rotted metal out of the driver side pan, cleaned up the edges top and bottom, and treated the top with Ospho.

Cut the patch panel out of the battery section from Wolfsburg West. Need to do some trimming however, I am having trouble using the disk. Razz Maybe time for another pack of disks? Think Laughing

Then spent over an hour getting the driver side heater channel end cap out, forgot to take a picture at the end, find had to pick me up early so lost a hour and half.

Not sure what to do about the fact there are two layers.

Breaking Dremel cutting wheels every minute or so can be frustrating, someone recognized I needed calming.

Adriel Rowley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2022 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Dad's 1964 Ruby Red Beetle Reply with quote

I asked over and over if ever coming close to staying too long, please tell me so I have time to resolve it. Well, the person who I thought was my friend and his wife decided to get nasty instead. So, I spent almost nine hours organizing (rather than throwing stuff in boxes), packing, and cleaning so Ruby and I are ready to leave with a days notice; can't trust will let me stay until afternoon of the 24th.

Instead of waiting until Tuesday when we will know if the other opportunity is an option as agreed, now not allowing me to wait; at least knew this morning rather yet again being yelled at for not being a mind reader.

So, I brought all the engine long block parts and my tools over here, will be building the engine on the kitchen counter as I originally had planned on. This does have advantages, the big one is will be home all day, the one dog that has to stay home has for over a week been acting unusually needy and very clingy. Another is not having to work in the cold, so cold the oil fill space heater turned all the way up and on full power barely takes the bite out of the air.

So finishing the brakes has to wait until the long block is done. Also, probably going to break his promise of letting me finish the welding, I now know who he really is and certainly not one to trust (broken promises before).

Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2022 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Dad's 1964 Ruby Red Beetle Reply with quote

Your VW's have been kicked out of multiple storage sites in CA & AZ for 15 years!
Don't blame the people who have helped you for you not getting either running. Wink
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Adriel Rowley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2022 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Dad's 1964 Ruby Red Beetle Reply with quote

Mike Fisher wrote:
Your VW's have been kicked out of multiple storage sites in CA & AZ for 15 years!

Don't dare lie! I have only once been "kicked out" and blame only myself. In fact, it was California and the house in Arizona was mine, so not even possible.

Better, mind your damn business. I don't talk about how you have multiple Type 3s and last I looked on the Type 3 forum, none are running.

Mike Fisher wrote:
Don't blame the people who have helped you for you not getting either running. Wink

You are mistaken, Baby been running for a while. She is safe in an undisclosed location to get some cosmetic surgery. Razz

You are not understanding. If I am blaming, it is that they can't stick to a plan and expect I mind read they have decided a new plan. This is why I had his wife come mediate and develop a plan for the next two weeks, now the new plan is clear enough.

With Jack, the rule was it had to be running if at his home. I broke that rule and there was a consequence. That simple. There was no rules and no time to be out, in fact, told to get completely done so not doing work here and violating the lease. I understand things change, however, tell me as I am not a mind reader. Maybe that is why I am single... Razz

Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2022 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Dad's 1964 Ruby Red Beetle Reply with quote

My square has run very consistently for 15 years & runs now.
Your Baby hasn't ran for the last 14 of the 15 years since you tore the beam out of it?
Yours is under a tarp hidden out & doesn't run according to our friend.
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Adriel Rowley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2022 3:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Dad's 1964 Ruby Red Beetle Reply with quote

Mike Fisher wrote:
My square has run very consistently for 15 years & runs now.
Your Baby hasn't ran for the last 14 of the 15 years since you tore the beam out of it?
Yours is under a tarp hidden out & doesn't run according to our friend.

Ran and drove it in Sandy Eggo, parked it in about 2012 because of the front end damage, then got it running a while ago and was running when left here. Now is it running great? No, however, I got no help from the forum and had a move to pack for.

So got one out of many running. And I doubt you did all the work yourself.

What irks me is folks who have means, like you clearly do since can afford tobacco, riding the financially disenfranchised about how not doing lots of work when we don't have the bread for the parts. I know you and others care, just trying to be helpful, though too much. What be helpful is recognizing the progress made and take note of the speed, then if it slows or stops, ask how they are doing. For me, I might be overwhelmed and talk through it.

Could be worse , have folks almost demanding I should go out and purchase a newer, low miles, vehicle, yet, I can't afford the insurance (Arizona is one of the most expensive Western states, high crime rate and largest number of under and non insured drivers). I told them if they are going to help with the insurance, then I will. Not saying a free ride, somehow work for them. Of course changed the topic of the conversation.

Adriel Rowley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2022 9:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Dad's 1964 Ruby Red Beetle Reply with quote

Back to our regular scheduled program. Razz

Lots and lots of cleaning today, plus sorting and organizing burned a day, however, know will save time and make the engine build more enjoyable.

Oh, and a thought crossed my mind, what would my high class, high society Grandmother think of me using her nice baking dish for cleaning parts? Laughing

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 36, 37, 38 ... 48, 49, 50  Next
Jump to:
Page 37 of 50

Jump to: