Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Gas Engine Ground Strap: Provides Ground For?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 7:59 pm    Post subject: Gas Engine Ground Strap: Provides Ground For? Reply with quote

Hi folks.

I realize the strap between transmission and vehicle must supply some kind of ground path to the engine but does the ground strap between engine case and vehicle frame provide a ground path mainly for:

- charging

or

- some of the engine management operation. e.g. coolant sensor.

or

- both

If it's "both", do the tranny and engine ground strap locations some how split the load so to speak? e.g. cranking starter would pull current through the larger ground strap at tranny?

Thanks

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Gas Engine Ground Strap: Provides Ground For? Reply with quote

The starter should be grounded directly from one of its two large bolts.
Having starter current cross the interfaces of 4 or 5 old magnesium housings is ludicrous when you think about it for just one second.
Won't the current choose your shiny steel bearings over corroded magnesium siliconed interfaces?
Yes it will, and it will pit your bearings on the way to the front of the transaxle.

See this thread for more discussion of this issue.
Transaxle ground strap - is this really the only engine ground?

It's easy to ground the starter (as it should be). Then removing the front-transaxle ground eliminates starter current traveling across transaxle bearings.

There some sense to grounding the alternator too.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 3:43 am    Post subject: Re: Gas Engine Ground Strap: Provides Ground For? Reply with quote

Hmmm...... not saying it can't happen or won't happen but transaxle bearings being damaged by operating the starter isn't something I've heard of before.

One would think that VW would have addressed such an issue during the fifty/sixty years that they used the nose cone ground strap if it were a real problem.

Adding grounds isn't a bad thing for a weak ground can make all sorts of problems. Starting, operation, lighting, turn signals, etc.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 3:57 am    Post subject: Re: Gas Engine Ground Strap: Provides Ground For? Reply with quote

I’ll wade in. For years VW was happy with a simple ground strap from the chassis to the engine. Starter load, charging, choke, ignition , were all handled easily.

Working for VW when they started having more advanced electronics, weird ground issues started appearing. Adding additional grounds became common place.

My feeling is grounding the starter through the case is fine assuming clean connections. I don’t believe additional grounds are load balancing. It’s more about eliminating resistance.

My TDI has the battery grounded through a cable to the block. My alternator also has a heavy duty ground between the case and negative battery terminal. I also have the original transmission ground strap. Probably overkill but does add some redundancy.

I have fixed other gas engines by direct grounding the cylinder head. Spark plugs love a good ground, and some engines passing grounds through the head fasteners can have issues.
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: Gas Engine Ground Strap: Provides Ground For? Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
Hmmm...... not saying it can't happen or won't happen but transaxle bearings being damaged by operating the starter isn't something I've heard of before.

Starter currrent traveling thru bearings doesn't cause catastrophic failure, the damage would be micro-pits each time the starter is cranked. Then, rather than disassembling the transaxle immediately (for inspection with a microscope after cranking the starter) you drive the van, bearings roll, and the evidence gets burnished away.

You won't see it and it's no surprise that nobody has heard of it.
Only the antiquer...... --->would even THINK about it<---. Wink

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: Gas Engine Ground Strap: Provides Ground For? Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:
The starter should be grounded directly from one of its two large bolts.
Having starter current cross the interfaces of 4 or 5 old magnesium housings is ludicrous when you think about it for just one second.
Won't the current choose your shiny steel bearings over corroded magnesium siliconed interfaces?
Yes it will, and it will pit your bearings on the way to the front of the transaxle.

See this thread for more discussion of this issue.
Transaxle ground strap - is this really the only engine ground?

It's easy to ground the starter (as it should be). Then removing the front-transaxle ground eliminates starter current traveling across transaxle bearings.

There some sense to grounding the alternator too.

Thanks for that Sodo. I had seen your post in my searches. No doubt the tranny case on this van is worn. I had to repair some of it with JB weld, washers etc. The corrosion aspects are something for me to consider. The starter spins fine (gear reduction type), charge system works, but adding a ground could help battery charging, I think. I'll start measuring voltages.

edit: on my ABA swap with hot start issue, when the issue would happen, engine hot, given the age of parts involved and the possibly insufficient ground I had between engine and frame, when cranking the engine, voltage taken by the starter combined with a poor ground path to the engine electronics, could've caused a weak spark and or other issue with the engine management causing a hot no start. This may be why a "bump" start would allow the engine to start when issue happens.

MarkWard wrote:

Working for VW when they started having more advanced electronics, weird ground issues started appearing. Adding additional grounds became common place.

My feeling is grounding the starter through the case is fine assuming clean connections. I don’t believe additional grounds are load balancing. It’s more about eliminating resistance.

My TDI has the battery grounded through a cable to the block. My alternator also has a heavy duty ground between the case and negative battery terminal. I also have the original transmission ground strap. Probably overkill but does add some redundancy.

I have fixed other gas engines by direct grounding the cylinder head. Spark plugs love a good ground, and some engines passing grounds through the head fasteners can have issues.

Thanks Mark. I used the WBX as the example, but in some ways, that grounding scheme may relate to more "modern" engine swaps. Old corroded parts not withstanding, understanding and following the OE WBX grounding scheme may've solved a hot start issue on my OBD1 ABA swap.

On that swap, I originally had a single ground wire (ignorantly) connected between intake manifold lower plenum and the OE WBX ground point at frame. On the OE Jetta OBD1 ABA 2.0 there is a braided ground strap [edit: from the cylinder head at valve cover, to an ignition coil securing bolt, thus to frame. i.e. I don't think that ground is for the coil itself. The coil has its' own ground wire]

Hot start issue theory: under certain conditions, e.g. engine hot, the ground path via that single wire I'd installed between intake and frame was insufficient for providing a good ground to the engine management system

AFAIK, unlike Vanagon Digifant, the ABA Motronic 2.9 ECU does not have a separate dedicated ground wire to frame metal. i.e. any grounding the ECU needs to "supply" a ground to a given sensor is done through a ground connection at the engine block.

As far as I know, all of the ABA OBD1 engine management electronics connect to a single ground point on the engine block. That said, I did ground a few things to the OE WBX ground point at frame.

On my other ABA swap, as per the OE ABA in a Mk3 Jetta, I installed a braided ground strap between the cylinder head and a securing bolt for the ignition coil. That engine always starts, runs fine.

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
AtlasShrugged
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: Gas Engine Ground Strap: Provides Ground For? Reply with quote

The main engine ground is there for the starter/charging. It completes an electrical circuit from the battery to the starter or alternator and back to the battery negative.

The engine and transmission are completely insulated from the metal chassis+12v battery by the rubber engine and transmission mounts. You really need that big ground!

There is a small long ground from the driver's side cylinder head to the chassis, under the coil. VW wanted to be sure that particular aluminium cylinder head was completely grounded to the chassis/battery. (the rubber head sealing gaskets and "O" rings are good insulators) Probably because of the sensors in the thermostat housing. Those sensors don't routinely need a chassis ground except on the Synro.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:23 am    Post subject: Re: Gas Engine Ground Strap: Provides Ground For? Reply with quote

AtlasShrugged wrote:

The engine and transmission are completely insulated from the metal chassis+12v battery by the rubber engine and transmission mounts. You really need that big ground!

There is a small long ground from the driver's side cylinder head to the chassis, under the coil. VW wanted to be sure that particular aluminium cylinder head was completely grounded to the chassis/battery. (the rubber head sealing gaskets and "O" rings are good insulators) Probably because of the sensors in the thermostat housing. Those sensors don't routinely need a chassis ground except on the Synro.

Thanks. This is what I'm curious of; is that strap meant mainly to supply a ground path for some of the sensors. e.g., if I'm not mistaken, in particular for the brown "reference" ground wire for the O2 sensor. It seems the ECU provides a ground path for things like the AFM but I'd have to look at the diagrams to confirm.

It's been said already in other similar threads but I think but it's worth mentioning again. I'd read that if one is adding or replacing a ground strap between engine or drivetrain and frame, they should use a size sufficient to handle Amps required by starter in the event the main strap is missing or otherwise compromised and starter then draws through the added or replaced ground strap.

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 12:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Gas Engine Ground Strap: Provides Ground For? Reply with quote

The whole point of the 2.1 having the brown "reference" ground wire for the O2 circuit attach to the engine metal is to make it so the O2 sensor reading isn't dependent on any of the body ground straps. The O2 sensor only has 1 wire to it and uses its threads and metal exhaust system connection to the engine as the other wire. So the brown wire lets the ECU measure the 2 "wires" of the O2 sensor, 1 of the wires being the metal of the exhaust and engine.

It is a fact of physics that there will at times be a voltage difference between the engine metal and the body metal. We should strive to keep this at a minimum by ensuring that the ground straps are in good shape. I like adding a heavy one between the starter bolt and the body. I don't like any other added grounds between the engine and body. I sometimes add a #8 or #6 between the alternator case and the engine metal so the charging amps don't have to go through the WBX alternator mounting brackets that are not always reliable.

I don't want people to add flimsy grounds that could someday cause the van to burn up. That possibility is real.

Mark

Vanagon Nut wrote:
.....This is what I'm curious of; is that strap meant mainly to supply a ground path for some of the sensors. e.g., if I'm not mistaken, in particular for the brown "reference" ground wire for the O2 sensor. It seems the ECU provides a ground path for things like the AFM but I'd have to look at the diagrams to confirm.

It's been said already in other similar threads but I think but it's worth mentioning again. I'd read that if one is adding or replacing a ground strap between engine or drivetrain and frame, they should use a size sufficient to handle Amps required by starter in the event the main strap is missing or otherwise compromised and starter then draws through the added or replaced ground strap.

Neil.
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Gas Engine Ground Strap: Provides Ground For? Reply with quote

AtlasShrugged wrote:

My understanding is this ground is one of the most important engine management grounds there is. It both grounds the shield of the O2 sensor and provides a reference ground for all of the ECU work. It also provides a ground for the idle control stabilizer module behind the right rear taillight. It never hurts to clean up this wire and its connections or replace. Use dielectric grease under the connections. I recently had a problem with it during an engine swap and it was a nightmare to discover and track down.

Duncan
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Gas Engine Ground Strap: Provides Ground For? Reply with quote

Thanks for that Mark. Ok, I see what you mean re O2 "reference" wire.

With my 50º ABA engine swap, to the best of my recall, all engine management sensor, ECU, etc. grounds connect to the engine block. So, I really need to have a proper braided strap between the engine and body metal as per OE design in the Mk3 Jetta. (and as I have on my 15º ABA swap on the other van). One strap should suffice. It's where I have the current wire connected to the engine that is likely the fault behind my hot start issue. i.e. for that aspect only, wire gauge is likely not the issue.

I'd recently read your warnings regarding ground wire or strap size. The wires I have in place are temporary but I really should've put a proper sized strap in from "day 1" of the conversion.

Neil.

crazyvwvanman wrote:
The whole point of the 2.1 having the brown "reference" ground wire for the O2 circuit attach to the engine metal is to make it so the O2 sensor reading isn't dependent on any of the body ground straps.....

It is a fact of physics that there will at times be a voltage difference between the engine metal and the body metal. We should strive to keep this at a minimum by ensuring that the ground straps are in good shape. I like adding a heavy one between the starter bolt and the body. I don't like any other added grounds between the engine and body. I sometimes add a #8 or #6 between the alternator case and the engine metal so the charging amps don't have to go through the WBX alternator mounting brackets that are not always reliable.

I don't want people to add flimsy grounds that could someday cause the van to burn up. That possibility is real.

Mark

Vanagon Nut wrote:
.....This is what I'm curious of; is that strap meant mainly to supply a ground path for some of the sensors. e.g., if I'm not mistaken, in particular for the brown "reference" ground wire for the O2 sensor. ....

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Gas Engine Ground Strap: Provides Ground For? Reply with quote

crazyvwvanman wrote:

... I sometimes add a #8 or #6 between the alternator case and the engine metal so the charging amps don't have to go through the WBX alternator mounting brackets that are not always reliable.

So IF the alternator on my ABA engine already has a good ground path to the engine, and since nearly all of the engine management electronics connect to the engine block, adding a ground strap from frame to engine would do nothing to improve that ground path?

IF so, the issue I was seeing may not be due to a poor ground path to the engine management parts connecting to the engine block.

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 3:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Gas Engine Ground Strap: Provides Ground For? Reply with quote

You can check with a voltmeter if there's any voltage between the alternator and the engine block. THat will tell you the state ( at that moment ) if there's any voltage loss. It could be different after a winter.

Test voltage when the battery is "hungry" like 15-25% down, headlights on, wipers running, ventilation fan on high so there's lots of current.

New car, new alternator, new engine block, is gonna have really good conductivity, for many years. After the surfaces of all these parts are "old" with corrosion, paint, or other insulators, there could be losses. Its an “old car thing”.

On some cars, in some environments, a direct, maintained ground strap could be superior. From there on out, you'll know exactly which surfaces (only two locations) need to "maintained" in the future and the original ground path becomes irrelevant.

That's to keep it at 100%. 99%, 98% are still pretty good.

Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:14 am    Post subject: Re: Gas Engine Ground Strap: Provides Ground For? Reply with quote

This is a minor detail, and likely moot as I didn't do this on my other ABA van which runs ok, but after rebuilding the ABA engine in question, I did not clean the engine alternator bracket mount points at block, and bracket itself, to shiny clean. But any added resistance at those points is likely very small and of no real consequence.

I'll measure voltages, see whats going on. Thanks for pointer on adding current draw while testing.

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: