Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Your cell phone is spying on you
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
62DoKaGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Your cell phone is spying on you Reply with quote

JDMbeetle wrote:
...sometimes my family compares me to Ron Swanson from parks and recreation Laughing

Haha, the Swanson standard; I want that.

4/62 Double Cab
5/61 Panel (sold)
4/59 Single Cab (sold)
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 11:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Your cell phone is spying on you Reply with quote

I'm very aware of ad changes as I search for things online, etc. But I had my first experience yesterday with the "listening" tracking.

Got a new phone, and the ads were interesting because they weren't targeted to me yet because of limited use so far. New phone laying on the coffee table, wife and daughter come in the room and we start discussing Disneyland as we were going the next day. Untill this second, I've never searched, typed, texted, or anything else Disneyland, or Disney related into this phone.

Open a browser after we get done talking and next 5 ads that pop up, Disneyland.

I refuse (d) to get an Alexa in the house because I thought it was creepy having a device listening to me all the time. I guess I needed not be worried about that, it's already happening. Shocked
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: Your cell phone is spying on you Reply with quote

The Facebook and Instagram Apps supposedly listen to you all the time, although I don't personally have proof of that beyond the same thing you experienced - Ads appearing related to things I have talked about. I take this as proof though. Smile

Alexa supposedly only listens for it's "Alexa" command first. The last thing I saw is that it does save things you say after that as proof that you ordered or asked for something. This makes sense to me, they probably have to have proof you ordered something.
https://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statement...pying-you/
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: Your cell phone is spying on you Reply with quote

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cnbc.com/amp/2019...tions.html

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.thrillist.com/amp...nformation

https://www.wcjb.com/content/news/Alexa-listens-to-users-having-sex-report-says-513395281.html

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: Your cell phone is spying on you Reply with quote

This is a funny thread Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy like someone else mentioned, mr bahnva Leyengar over in India will still have to ability to know all about your secrets weather you like it or not. It’s a sick world isn’t it Shocked
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Hosea 4:6 "My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
62DoKaGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: Your cell phone is spying on you Reply with quote

Chickensoup wrote:
This is a funny thread Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy like someone else mentioned, mr bahnva Leyengar "Dave" over in India will still have to ability to know all about your secrets weather you like it or not. It’s a sick world isn’t it Shocked

Fixed it for you.

4/62 Double Cab
5/61 Panel (sold)
4/59 Single Cab (sold)
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: Your cell phone is spying on you Reply with quote

Haha
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Hosea 4:6 "My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Volks Wagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Your cell phone is spying on you Reply with quote

Pruneman99 wrote:
I'm very aware of ad changes as I search for things online, etc. But I had my first experience yesterday with the "listening" tracking.

Got a new phone, and the ads were interesting because they weren't targeted to me yet because of limited use so far. New phone laying on the coffee table, wife and daughter come in the room and we start discussing Disneyland as we were going the next day. Untill this second, I've never searched, typed, texted, or anything else Disneyland, or Disney related into this phone.

Open a browser after we get done talking and next 5 ads that pop up, Disneyland.

I refuse (d) to get an Alexa in the house because I thought it was creepy having a device listening to me all the time. I guess I needed not be worried about that, it's already happening. Shocked

If you use a browser that syncs your content across devices like Chrome, then it could be providing your phone with ads based on your search history etc on other devices. Accounts etc can be synced, so stats related to what you do on device A is also available to device B. It is your 'digital persona' floating around and getting hit on by AI's. I don't think you can conclude just yet that your phone is listening to you.

I'm definitely, probably, the worlds greatest lover.

Aithníonn ciaróg ciaróg eile.
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 1:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Your cell phone is spying on you Reply with quote

Volks Wagen wrote:
Pruneman99 wrote:

If you use a browser that syncs your content across devices like Chrome, then it could be providing your phone with ads based on your search history etc on other devices. Accounts etc can be synced, so stats related to what you do on device A is also available to device B. It is your 'digital persona' floating around and getting hit on by AI's. I don't think you can conclude just yet that your phone is listening to you.

Anything is possible, but I only use my home computer to pay bills, and nothing else. I do not have Facebook, Instagram, or any other social media I don't know the name of. I purchased the tickets in person, on a military base. I wrote my name down in a paper ledger with a pen.

I have never had ads for Disneyland before this event. It only happened after a verbal discussion with my family that lasted 30 minutes. And it was IMMEDIATELY after.

This damn thing is spying on me, I'm convinced.

I might be going full-on foil hat soon. Or maybe not, it's too much effort.
Splitdog
Samba Split Personality

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Your cell phone is spying on you Reply with quote

Volks Wagen wrote:
Pruneman99 wrote:

Of course not. The govt would never spy on you. Wink

Z = z² + C

Der Blitzkrieg Kafers

#notacallooker
Volks Wagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Your cell phone is spying on you Reply with quote

Hmmmm, well in that case they're definitely listening to every thing you say.

Or it's IP targeting. I assume you have a home network and your family have devices that connect to that network. I also assume that when you are at home you also connect to that network. All of your outbound internet traffic and searches will appear to come from one IP address, therefore if your family searched for Disney or visited Disney related sites, it is possible that the marketing gurus in their infinite wisdom then hammer Disney ads at any device connected to that network. That means even your virgin phone gets ads up the ass.

Pruneman99 wrote:
Volks Wagen wrote:
Pruneman99 wrote:

Anything is possible, but I only use my home computer to pay bills, and nothing else. I do not have Facebook, Instagram, or any other social media I don't know the name of. I purchased the tickets in person, on a military base. I wrote my name down in a paper ledger with a pen.

I have never had ads for Disneyland before this event. It only happened after a verbal discussion with my family that lasted 30 minutes. And it was IMMEDIATELY after.

I'm definitely, probably, the worlds greatest lover.

Aithníonn ciaróg ciaróg eile.
JDMbeetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 3:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Your cell phone is spying on you Reply with quote

With all this talk about tracking and spying, I thought I would brighten the mood a bit.

here one of those older heartwarming stories:

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/05/14/facebook_trust_dumb/
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Your cell phone is spying on you Reply with quote

Volks Wagen wrote:
Hmmmm, well in that case they're definitely listening to every thing you say.

Or it's IP targeting. I assume you have a home network and your family have devices that connect to that network. I also assume that when you are at home you also connect to that network. All of your outbound internet traffic and searches will appear to come from one IP address, therefore if your family searched for Disney or visited Disney related sites, it is possible that the marketing gurus in their infinite wisdom then hammer Disney ads at any device connected to that network. That means even your virgin phone gets ads up the ass.

Pruneman99 wrote:
Volks Wagen wrote:
Pruneman99 wrote:

Well that sounds entirely plausible. I know my daughter was searching to see what time her favorite princess was going to make an appearance. This new phone connects automatically to the WiFi when I get home. The old phone I had to toggle. I'm sure there is a setting for that.

It still seems like a privacy violation to me. Track everything you look at to jam targeted ads to your device, and apparently anyone on your network.

Sometimes I love the internet. Sometimes I think we are just living "1984".
Splitdog
Samba Split Personality

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Your cell phone is spying on you Reply with quote

1984 indeed. Read it and weep.

Z = z² + C

Der Blitzkrieg Kafers

#notacallooker
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: