Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

83 ECU Computer Assistance Needed ASAP
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
JerryvanDaniel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: 83 ECU Computer Assistance Needed ASAP Reply with quote

sjbartnik wrote:
JerryvanDaniel wrote:

SJBARTNIK! I had the ground wire on the +15 terminal. So thank you for helping identify that as the issue. Now they are firing. Now let me see what else is wrong and why it won’t crank. Ha!

Yeah that would do it. The ECU gets the rpm signal from the pulsing signal it reads off the negative terminal of the coil as the points open and close.

If you have that wire on the + side of the coil it just feeds constant 12v to the ECU and no pulse. No pulse signal = no injector firing.

Thank you so much!! Now to figure out how to keep it running. It fires up and then dies. Working on the throttle cable and points and timing now. 😃

Jerry's always singing the Blues
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: 83 ECU Computer Assistance Needed ASAP Reply with quote

JerryvanDaniel wrote:

SJBARTNIK! I had the ground wire on the +15 terminal. So thank you for helping identify that as the issue. Now they are firing. Now let me see what else is wrong and why it won’t crank. Ha!

Yeah that would do it. The ECU gets the rpm signal from the pulsing signal it reads off the negative terminal of the coil as the points open and close.

If you have that wire on the + side of the coil it just feeds constant 12v to the ECU and no pulse. No pulse signal = no injector firing.
JerryvanDaniel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: 83 ECU Computer Assistance Needed ASAP Reply with quote

RawUmber wrote:
JerryvanDaniel wrote:
35 pins total
7 I know is the ground.

The page you have pictured has a 25 pin connector, whereas you have a 35 pin connector. So don't use that page as reference!

Below are a couple pages regarding AFC from Vanagon ProTraining that may apply.

Of note, Pin 7 is not ground on AFC ECU, instead it appears to be Air Flow Meter. Don't take my word for it, read up a bit before you proceed.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Awesome! Just what I was looking for RawUmber!

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RawUmber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: 83 ECU Computer Assistance Needed ASAP Reply with quote

JerryvanDaniel wrote:
35 pins total
7 I know is the ground.

The page you have pictured has a 25 pin connector, whereas you have a 35 pin connector. So don't use that page as a reference!

Below are a couple pages regarding AFC from Vanagon ProTraining that may apply.

Of note, Pin 7 is not ground on AFC ECU, instead it appears to be Air Flow Meter. Don't take my word for it, read up a bit before you proceed.

More of the AFC ProTraining book here: http://www.loam.org/vw/Vanagon/VanagonProTraining/FuelSystems/

Last edited by RawUmber on Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:27 am; edited 1 time in total
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: 83 ECU Computer Assistance Needed ASAP Reply with quote

There are no orange wires in the L-Jet FI harness - they are all white.

It's the one in the diagram you posted that says "to ignition coil."

it would have a push-on spade terminal on it, not a ring terminal.
JerryvanDaniel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:10 am    Post subject: Re: 83 ECU Computer Assistance Needed ASAP Reply with quote

JerryvanDaniel wrote:
sjbartnik wrote:
The L-Jet system FI harness has a wire that connects to the negative terminal on the coil. That is how the ECU gets the rpm signal. Check that first, make sure you have it on the correct side of the coil, make sure it's not broken, etc.

If you connected it to the + side of the coil the injectors will never fire.

Does it look like this?

Sorry. That’s not it. That’s for the temp sensor. The two leads that it shows for the wiring harness that are grounds are connected up top and then there’s an orange wire that I don’t know where it goes. Does that orange wire need to be connected to the negative side of the coil pack?

JerryvanDaniel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: 83 ECU Computer Assistance Needed ASAP Reply with quote

sjbartnik wrote:
The L-Jet system FI harness has a wire that connects to the negative terminal on the coil. That is how the ECU gets the rpm signal. Check that first, make sure you have it on the correct side of the coil, make sure it's not broken, etc.

Does it look like this?

sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: 83 ECU Computer Assistance Needed ASAP Reply with quote

JerryvanDaniel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 8:48 am    Post subject: 83 ECU Computer Assistance Needed ASAP Reply with quote

I’m retrofitting my ‘83 Vanagon air cooled 2 ltr engine with FI. I purchased new injectors from Busdepot and I “pinned out” all of my terminals on the intake air sensor (they are good) and the ECU computer harness. My problem is that the injectors are getting power to them but they aren’t opening and squirting fuel. I know they are good injectors since they are new. I’m thinking I have something wrong with the wiring that’s causing them not to open. They just aren’t pulsing. I figured I would pin out the ECU wiring harness but I’m having a hard time finding the pin out locations for each pin. The one YouTube video that van-again (btw love his videos) has posted about the pins doesn’t match up to mine. My available pins are as follows:

1, 3-10, 13-18
20, 27, 32-34

35 pins total
7 I know is the ground.
The part number on my ECU harness is 022906235.

If I had the correct pin diagram I would go through that process but again mine doesn’t match up to Van-agains video. He’s using the Bentley for reference and so mine doesn’t match the Bentley either. They are all white wires going into the harness as well if that helps. I have a camping trip this upcoming weekend so I need Jerry back on the road ASAP!! Thanks for any help!

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: