Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

rear wheel axle, cv, hub noise
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
spatiald
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:05 pm    Post subject: rear wheel axle, cv, hub noise Reply with quote

Hey All,

So I've read all the threads about the clicking and/or grinding noise coming from a rear wheel.

I suspect either the bearings are shot (though there is no play in the wheel at 12 and 6 or 3 and 9), CV joint is bad or it's a hub/splines seating issue. There is also an occasional slight pulsing in the brakes and the axle nut does not seem to be loose though I may try retightening to correct torque to eliminate that possibility. I'm trying to hold off on that as it sounds like a real challenge.

Here's the added wrinkle to throw into the mix in my case. About two years ago I had to replace a broken axle - at least twice. My local shop could not really explain why that rear axle would snap. On the second time, they determined that they really needed to replace the stub axle so they did that as well. I'm still at a loss for why this could have happened unless it was related to my bad motor mounts putting tweaky torque through the axle. I've since fixed the motor mounts so that shouldn't be an issue anymore but could have continued to wear prior to fixing them. Axle hasn't snapped or had issue since.

So if they just replaced the stub axle and not the hub could that be causing the noise? The splines aren't fitting properly?

It now is more of a clicking than grinding and only when I accelerate now - does that indicate CV joint moreso?

Finally, do you all think the previous axle issue to be relevant for my current dilemma?

Any other thoughts on where to start in diagnosing and fixing this are appreciated. At this point I may just try to grease the CV and bearings if I can figure that out easy enough and see if that solves the issue.

I'd love to hear how others would approach this. Thanks.

Dan
83.5 vanagon 1.9L
Igeo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: rear wheel axle, cv, hub noise Reply with quote

Based on your descriptions, I would start with evaluating the CV joints. Eliminate those as a cause first. Lots of threads exist on how to do that.
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 3:33 pm    Post subject: Re: rear wheel axle, cv, hub noise Reply with quote

Was it a “Vanagon shop” that was diagnosing your Vanagon axle problems?
Let us know a little about this shop then we can tailor the assistance better.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
spatiald
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: rear wheel axle, cv, hub noise Reply with quote

It was as vanagon shop as you can get here in Santa Cruz. Old Volks Home. I'd trust Lee and crew with my life. Definitely very experienced guys so it was odd that even they weren't sure how to diagnose and did not catch the stub axle issue in the beginning. I suspect this is not too common of an occurrence but am still new to this all.
WestyWanter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:18 pm    Post subject: Re: rear wheel axle, cv, hub noise Reply with quote

Mine does this too! please give explanation if you diagnose!
levi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 12:23 am    Post subject: Re: rear wheel axle, cv, hub noise Reply with quote

spatiald wrote:
It was as vanagon shop as you can get here in Santa Cruz. Old Volks Home. I'd trust Lee and crew with my life. Definitely very experienced guys so it was odd that even they weren't sure how to diagnose and did not catch the stub axle issue in the beginning. I suspect this is not too common of an occurrence but am still new to this all.

Any actual vanagon-experienced mechanic is going to know the difference between cv joint or bearing issue with a hands on quick drive, far better than we can speculate from reading words.
gonna see life my way

https://youtu.be/cSrL0BXsO40
beach_creature
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 3:24 am    Post subject: Re: rear wheel axle, cv, hub noise Reply with quote

I’m leaning towards CV being the problem. Did they use quality parts when they replaced the axle? Did they use the original CV’s or use knew ones? If they were new and were made in China, very likely they are failing.

I used a set of rebuilt axles and had CV’s on both sides fail a year in. I then rebuilt mine using quality German parts. No problems since.
Waldi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 4:03 am    Post subject: Re: rear wheel axle, cv, hub noise Reply with quote

There is a solution to get rid of the shaft and bearing play.
Machine a thread into the housing on the side where the ball bearing is and fix the bearing with a nur.
You will never have again play and your housing will last forever. I Think also your bearing will last longer as it does not more anymore and produce heat.
davideric9
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 5:26 am    Post subject: Re: rear wheel axle, cv, hub noise Reply with quote

I had loud clicking which would go away while coasting. Crawled under the van with gear in neutral. Moving the axles around I could hear a difference between joints, one sounded more metallic. Pulled the axle to find dried up grease. Problem solved.
1988 Wolfsburg GL (bought 2012)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
spatiald
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: rear wheel axle, cv, hub noise Reply with quote

Ok. Thanks all. I think I"ll have to pull the axle and cv's and just have a look as expected. Sounds like folks are more inclined toward that being the issue than the bearings. It's a good place to start at least.

I'm also going to call my shop and see if they can give me more info on the parts used for the axle (aka if from China). I see that van cafe quality boots are noted as not fitting chinese axles so I'll have to know that information either way. Will report back here if I get an id on the parts used.

Thanks all!
spatiald
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: rear wheel axle, cv, hub noise Reply with quote

Ok. Pulled the cv’s and axles today and a few things have come up.

I snipped the zip ties on the boot and the whole boot and cv joints slid off on either end after removing the circlip. Easy peezy. I’ve seen people have to pound them off the axle. Is the sliding off easily a possible indicator of a problem?

Then I cleaned up the axles and found that the new cv joints would have to be gently pounded back on - as suggested on the amazing cv axle video on YouTube. However, when eyeballing the joint splines against those on the axle end it looks like maybe they don’t line up that well. Is it possible the axle and cv are not the right match? Check the top of the photo showing the new joint on top of the cv - you can see both the axle splines and cv splines there.

I’m being extra careful here as I have had issues with this axle in the past and don’t fully trust it all to be set up ok.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: rear wheel axle, cv, hub noise Reply with quote

Not that it matters, but that's not an OEM VW axle. ( I think)
Or does it have a VW logo stamped on it?

Anyway, be "on alert" that you MAY have some non-OEM here, and might confuse things a little.

Certainly the splines should give you HIGH confidence that they're engaging properly before you apply any force (or hammer blows).

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
levi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: rear wheel axle, cv, hub noise Reply with quote

Mark a spot and count around, on both.

I tossed my original axles and bought a cheap set of complete axles.
Didn't last long.

Finally realized l needed to buy quality joints, but the splines didn't match up so I had to source an original set.
gonna see life my way

https://youtu.be/cSrL0BXsO40
spatiald
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: rear wheel axle, cv, hub noise Reply with quote

Ok. I counted and they are definitely a mismatch. I tracked down some original axles and they should be here tomorrow. Of course, this had to happen this way since I was hoping to get on the road for a week tomorrow.

Oh well. This is van life after all.

I’m hoping I can get this all installed by tomorrow afternoon and, that way, I”ll know whether this was my original problem all along. It would suck if the noise isn’t fixed but at least I’ll have nice new clean cv’s installed!

Will report back later. Thanks all for the excellent advice!
davideric9
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:02 pm    Post subject: Re: rear wheel axle, cv, hub noise Reply with quote

Can you post pictures of the noisey CV joints. The groves where the balls ride is the most important part for inspection.
1988 Wolfsburg GL (bought 2012)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 3:10 am    Post subject: Re: rear wheel axle, cv, hub noise Reply with quote

The noise coming and going on load and float is indicative of CVs

You probably could just open them up , regrease them , and drive them 100k miles more, regreasing every 30k miles
irishvan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: rear wheel axle, cv, hub noise Reply with quote

Can you share "amazing cv axle video on YouTube" that you were watching?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: