Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

help with strange tapping sound on 67 1600 dp motor
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sanhozeezee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:50 am    Post subject: help with strange tapping sound on 67 1600 dp motor Reply with quote

so recently my 67 started to make this weird noise on the left (drivers) side. i adjusted the valves #1 exhaust valve seems to have stuck with about .004 clearance and won’t adjust no matter how far i back out the set screw. other than that the others were fine.

power seems all there just the tapping sound. any ideas what to check?

btw, here’s a video i found of another persons 67 dp motor that’s making the exact same sound.

Link
YDBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: help with strange tapping sound on 67 1600 dp motor Reply with quote

If it does it when cold, it just a loose valve adjuster, if stock set to .006". Drive and get it to operating temp, it should stop. If it doesn't then it's a possible exhaust leak, replace gaskets.
'64 baja
'60 dune buggy
'73 Personenkraftwagen Type 182 "Thing"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jeffrey8164 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:03 am    Post subject: Re: help with strange tapping sound on 67 1600 dp motor Reply with quote

Had to tell from cellphone audio.
I had a similar noise.
Turned out to be the oil pump gear and camshaft slot were were so badly worn that they weren’t meshing and would klunck together at a certain point of the revolution.

Yes that engine seized from oil starvation.

“Let he that is without oil throw the first rod”
(Compression 8.7:1)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: help with strange tapping sound on 67 1600 dp motor Reply with quote

If you have solid rocker shafts you need to adjust the side to side clearance of the rockers.
Featured in Dec. 2001 HOT VW's Magazine page 63

Watch my racing video's http://www.youtube.com/user/okvwracer/videos
sanhozeezee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: help with strange tapping sound on 67 1600 dp motor Reply with quote

posted on the split bus thread and someone asked to post a video of my motor so here it is.

Link
earthquake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: help with strange tapping sound on 67 1600 dp motor Reply with quote

Could it be a exhaust leak?

eQ
05 SCION XB SERIES RELEASE 2[#437]
95 Chevy C3500 dually
98 Ford E150
Link to Kelly J. Nolte 3/20/53 - 11/6/08
https://time-zonelabs.blogspot.com/p/about-kelly.html
DEATH TO CHINGERS!
[From a military recruitment poster in the novel "The Stainless Steel Rat" By Harry Harrison]
rodjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: help with strange tapping sound on 67 1600 dp motor Reply with quote

sanhozeezee wrote:
so recently my 67 started to make this weird noise on the left (drivers) side. i adjusted the valves #1 exhaust valve seems to have stuck with about .004 clearance and won’t adjust no matter how far i back out the set screw. other than that the others were fine.

btw, here’s a video i found of another persons 67 dp motor that’s making the exact same sound.

So, #1 exhaust lash does not change if you back the adjuster off? Shocked
ekacpuc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:19 pm    Post subject: Re: help with strange tapping sound on 67 1600 dp motor Reply with quote

Quote:

So, #1 exhaust lash does not change if you back the adjuster off? Shocked

Yeah I would be more concerned with that than what sounds like an exhaust leak.

Top video sounds like lash. Bottom one I would ALMOST bet money that it's an exhaust leak. Doesn't have to be at the head either (that's where I would start) but could be any of the other connections or even a hole that you can't easily see.
sanhozeezee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: help with strange tapping sound on 67 1600 dp motor Reply with quote

thanks guys. i have the bus on stands at the moment working on the brakes. i'll try and hunt down exhaust leaks. any idea where i can check? i noticed the intake boot (orange joiner) is cracked in multiple places. this thing is like a flippin' onion!
within.1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:47 am    Post subject: Re: help with strange tapping sound on 67 1600 dp motor Reply with quote

If no1 exhaust valve rocker adjust screw wont back out no more then 4 thous i would take the rockers off that side and put a straight edge across the valve tips they should be all even if no1 exhaust is longer its either the valve is stretching or a sunken seat any one is no good and should be repaired asap as far as the strange sound i would be checking the rocker side play as well as a exhaust leak
Davada66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:18 pm    Post subject: Re: help with strange tapping sound on 67 1600 dp motor Reply with quote

I had the same noise and it was the cam double thrust bearing had burned the shoulders off the bearing and the cam was sliding back and forth banging on the shoulders of the cam seats. Its a tear down to fix a 12 dollar part that did not have enough lash between the gear it needs to be 6thousants or the oil can't get in between the faces causing the shoulders to over heat and disintegrate
wheel607
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 12:01 am    Post subject: Re: help with strange tapping sound on 67 1600 dp motor Reply with quote

sanhozeezee wrote:

Link

This video you shared is of a single port....not dual port dp as you say.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: