Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Colour of 1965 SO-44 cab/cargo inner door handles and knobs
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
1950split
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:40 am    Post subject: Colour of 1965 SO-44 cab/cargo inner door handles and knobs Reply with quote

Hi !

I have placed an order for Clara's commercial panels for my 1965 westy.

Currently it has chromed inner door handles and mesh gray door panels. I would like to make it more "time/model" correct with the proper inner door handles/knobs..

What was the color on these fixtures for Westfalia's. I think grey but not sure.

Could someone confirm colour of inner door handles, heater know, light and wiper switch, gear lever knob? I have as well a grey steering wheel. Were they black or grey ?

Thanks a lot,

Philippe
easy e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: Colour of 1965 SO-44 cab/cargo inner door handles and knobs Reply with quote

Look at the "Kombi" area: Type 2 Color Combinations

Gotta see this: Survivor '65 Westy
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: Colour of 1965 SO-44 cab/cargo inner door handles and knobs Reply with quote

White handles (long) and collars.

Its a shame no one is making the correct door panels. My '65 had panels had a very thin layer of vinyl rather than the textured tarboard.

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:40 am    Post subject: Re: Colour of 1965 SO-44 cab/cargo inner door handles and knobs Reply with quote

My very original 1966 SO-44 has chrome inner cargo door handles and wood panels on the cargo doors (with the fold down tables of course).

SO44's were a standard Kombi typically which IMHO does not count as a commercial vehicle.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: Colour of 1965 SO-44 cab/cargo inner door handles and knobs Reply with quote

nlorntson wrote:
My very original 1966 SO-44 has chrome inner cargo door handles and wood panels on the cargo doors (with the fold down tables of course).

SO44's were a standard Kombi typically which IMHO does not count as a commercial vehicle.

"Standard Kombi" ? chrome on the cargo doors and plastic up front would be odd.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Unless you had a standard you would also have wood panels from the bulkhead back on a Westy.

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Colour of 1965 SO-44 cab/cargo inner door handles and knobs Reply with quote

crofty wrote:
nlorntson wrote:

"Standard Kombi" ? chrome on the cargo doors and plastic up front would be odd.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Unless you had a standard you would also have wood panels from the bulkhead back on a Westy.

Front doors and kicks were gray panels under the vinyl covering. Yes, plastic front door flippers. Entire ceiling and everything from the bulkhead back was wood on our 66. It seems like 65 has gray over the front driver/passenger instead of wood there.
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Colour of 1965 SO-44 cab/cargo inner door handles and knobs Reply with quote

crofty wrote:

Yes
Quote:

Its a shame no one is making the correct door panels. My '65 had panels had a very thin layer of vinyl rather than the textured tarboard.

Yes, 12/63 through 67 cab door panels were like that. A very few people have brought this up to me. It would take some money to get the textured thin grey vinyl made. Once the vinyl is on hand, there is some work to apply the vinyl, but this can certainly be done.
When asked about this style, I asked they are willing to pay more for front door panels like that.
How much are you willing to pay?
How close to og does it need to be?
How many pairs will you buy?

So far I have had a lukewarm response when I asked these questions.
If there is enough interest I can pursue it.

I'd expect grey in the cab of a 65-67 westy. kicks and cab roof grey but not vinyl. The exception is cab roof in wood if it has a dormy top. Grey if a pop top or tin top (which is most of the campers).
Wood in the back.
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Colour of 1965 SO-44 cab/cargo inner door handles and knobs Reply with quote

Clara wrote:
crofty wrote:

Yes
Quote:

Yes, 12/63 through 67 cab door panels were like that. A very few people have brought this up to me. It would take some money to get the textured thin grey vinyl made. Once the vinyl is on hand, there is some work to apply the vinyl, but this can certainly be done.
When asked about this style, I asked they are willing to pay more for front door panels like that.
How much are you willing to pay?
How close to og does it need to be?
How many pairs will you buy?

So far I have had a lukewarm response when I asked these questions.
If there is enough interest I can pursue it.

I'd expect grey in the cab of a 65-67 westy. kicks and cab roof grey but not vinyl. The exception is cab roof in wood if it has a dormy top. Grey if a pop top or tin top (which is most of the campers).
Wood in the back.

Great questions. It makes me think of Thom's hitches. 100 "I want those" and crickets when they were done! Id buy a set of great repro's but they'd have to look real good and have the holes predrilled. Anything I have to do myself I deduct from the sales price.

Its been so long since I saw the panels in my bus (20 years or so) I cant even say what the texture was like, if any. I do remember that vinyl was really thin- like visqueen. that could have been age though...

HamburgerBrad wrote:

Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Colour of 1965 SO-44 cab/cargo inner door handles and knobs Reply with quote

crofty wrote:

Great questions. It makes me think of Thom's hitches. 100 "I want those" and crickets when they were done! Id buy a set of great repro's but they'd have to look real good and have the holes predrilled. Anything I have to do myself I deduct from the sales price.

Its been so long since I saw the panels in my bus (20 years or so) I cant even say what the texture was like, if any. I do remember that vinyl was really thin- like visqueen. that could have been age though...

Yes, that's the thing when you are thinking of reproing something.
I do have a very good condition original to copy. If there is interest I can look into it. pm or email me if interested.
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Colour of 1965 SO-44 cab/cargo inner door handles and knobs Reply with quote

I still have the neat, peeling away original front door panels in my '65 SO-42. The vinyl is so thin I have to believe it was as made with a heat-applied solid laminate process. No. not like a kitchen counter, but closer to what Crofty says. Perhaps a way to duplicate it involves remaking the grained vinyl in the way wallpaper is laminated with dry adhesive as a backer. Think: contact paper.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: