Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Vanagon Syncro w/ Subaru EJ25 Exhaust "pop"
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
rpureber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:14 pm    Post subject: Vanagon Syncro w/ Subaru EJ25 Exhaust "pop" Reply with quote

This has been happening since I purchased the van about a year ago. I originally thought it might be due to a possible exhaust leak from a bad clamp. I have replaced the clamp (and cat. converter) and I do not seem to have an exhaust leak anymore. The pop, however, remains. I also noticed my garage floor/door gets a little oil spritz... possibly only on a cold start. I have not fully tested possible scenarios. The oil spray may have been happening the entire time I've had the van. I seem to remember noticing it at least 6 months ago. It's not very much.

I can recreate the pop by rev`ing up high (5.5/6k), then on the way down feathering the gas back in around 3k.

Video of popping here. I will say that the valves sound louder in the video than in real life.
https://youtu.be/41oqVlp2B9I

Oil spray:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Thanks
DirtyBlueVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Syncro w/ Subaru EJ25 Exhaust "pop" Reply with quote

does the "oil spray" show up when its hot after a decent drive? I have has a similar pattern in a different vehicle, but it wasn't oil it was actually water.

That could just be dirty water from condensation in the exhaust. OR if there is a problem it could be water from head-gaskets or other things. If the engine has reasonable mileage it is probably not oil.

Some things to check:

1. clean the spot up, only worry if it does it hot.
2. check the PCV system
3. then start to worry about head gaskets
4. if its a high mileage engine and it really is oil....keep the oil topped off

The pop sounds normal imo - my 2.5 subi syncro does it. If there is anything wrong with the fueling you most likely have an engine code (pops are usually fuel igniting in the hot exhuast)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: