Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Camber bolt adjustment...
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
GreggK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 6:41 pm    Post subject: Camber bolt adjustment... Reply with quote

Hello All,
I'm trying to find out if I'm getting the full adjustment out of the camber bolt on my 2wd. In the picture I have the bolt rotated all the way toward the outside of the wheel well. From the picture, can anyone tell me if for starters, I have the bolt and washer installed correct. I believe there is only one way to install it.
Then, by looking at the mark on the washer, does it look like that is as far as the bolt can rotate out or clockwise for the passenger side. Of course I have the UCA removed to see the bolt/washer clearly.
I'm having trouble getting my camber adjustment out of the negative. It seems if I was able to rotate that bolt another 1/4 turn I'd get what I need. Any help would be GREAT!
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Here is another picture from the drivers side.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
beach_creature
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Camber bolt adjustment... Reply with quote

I believe the propper orientation is to have the bolt vertical. Can’t remember the orientation of the lobe. But it’s in the Bentley if you have one.
BillM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 6:18 am    Post subject: Re: Camber bolt adjustment... Reply with quote

Do you have Gowesty lift springs installed? If so make sure you have a couple hundred pounds up front before trying to align.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wcdennis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 7:13 am    Post subject: Re: Camber bolt adjustment... Reply with quote

Also, the castor adjustment needs to be in range to get the camber correct. It’s the first step in the alignment process.
GreggK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Camber bolt adjustment... Reply with quote

As I'm going through this process and studying my Bently I do see how the caster adjustment effects the camber. I had the entire front suspension removed and when I re-installed everything I didn't have any reference as where to put anything back. I felt I would leave it up to the alignment shop to figure that all out but when I got the call from them that they didn't have the time to do the adjustment on the my Burley UCA's because it might take multiple attempts, I explained to him that the arms were set to a ballpark major adjustment and the camber bolt would fine tune it. That must have went in one ear and out the other because when I picked up my van at the end of the day and I went over it again with him, he said he didn't realize the bolt was for adjustment and thought the heim joint was the sole adjustment. I also asked if once the caster was set would that help bring the camber closer but that went around in a circle too.
Anyway, I've gone over the whole story with Burley and he's guiding me in the right direction. I just spent a few hours on the van and things are looking promising. Thanks Burl and thanks to you guys who responded to my question as well. I haven't taken any true measurements yet but what I've done so far has things "looking" much better than before.
wcdennis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 12:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Camber bolt adjustment... Reply with quote

What passes for an alignment in many shops seems to be only adjusting the Toe-in. No doubt they are stumped by 30+ year-old vehicles.
tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Camber bolt adjustment... Reply with quote

wcdennis wrote:
What passes for an alignment in many shops seems to be only adjusting the Toe-in. No doubt they are stumped by 30+ year-old vehicles.

I take my van to a Porsche tuner shop for alignments. They have German car knowledge, and they also know how to read a Bentley.

GreggK wrote:
...Anyway, I've gone over the whole story with Burley and he's guiding me in the right direction. I just spent a few hours on the van and things are looking promising. Thanks Burl and thanks to you guys who responded to my question as well....

Are you using his arms?
GreggK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Camber bolt adjustment... Reply with quote

Yes. Burley arms installed.
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: Camber bolt adjustment... Reply with quote

tjet wrote:
wcdennis wrote:

I take my van to a Porsche tuner shop for alignments. They have German car knowledge, and they also know how to read a Bentley.

GreggK wrote:
...Anyway, I've gone over the whole story with Burley and he's guiding me in the right direction. I just spent a few hours on the van and things are looking promising. Thanks Burl and thanks to you guys who responded to my question as well....

Are you using his arms?

This IS a sad commentary on a shop that can’t research the vehicle they’re wanting to service..... Rolling Eyes
Sigh.....
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
GreggK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: Camber bolt adjustment... Reply with quote

Yes it is a big let down about the alignment shop. I brought my last van to him about 4 years ago when I first came back to PA. I did some front end work on it before driving it out to California, up to Oregon and then back here to PA. The van seemed to drive well and no odd tire wear so I figured he did something right. I've started studying the DIY alignment thread and reading what ever I can and try to see what I can come up with.
I've already adjusted the caster some and the camber is starting to look better. Going to have to find a gauge now for true readings.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: