Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Spare Tire Rack 215/70R/16 Stock Location
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gizmoman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:12 am    Post subject: Spare Tire Rack 215/70R/16 Stock Location Reply with quote

I finally got around to making the rack for my 215/70R-16 spare. Was very much in doubt it would fit but with a tiny bit of frame grinding, - well there you go.

Pretty simple really. One 4' X 3/8 rod from Home Depot (7 bucks), A piece of 10 GA sheet with a slot for the spring-clip and a tab welded to it for the bolt.

I only had to shave small radius's in the lower frame flanges - maybe 1/4 " at the deepest part. I cut the ends off the original squiggly rods and welded them to the tips of the new 3/8 rods (the 4' piece gets cut in half).
Here are the photos. . .

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

[img]https://s25.postimg.cc/u8zf8573j/DSC02227.jpg/img]

Feels a lot better than relying on a can of fix-a-flat and 12 volt compressor. I'm also confident I'll gain 10 MPG, corner like a Ferrari, and have all the ladies hanging around the van constantly Very Happy

Last edited by Gizmoman on Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:04 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: Spare Rack 215/70R/16 Stock Location Reply with quote

Well done! I'll be doing this once I find another CLK rim!
Gizmoman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Spare Rack 215/70R/16 Stock Location Reply with quote

shagginwagon83 wrote:
Well done! I'll be doing this once I find another CLK rim!

Thanks - it was amazingly simple. I wish I had take a few photos where I ground the lower flanges of the frame. It was really a tiny amount to remove and because it's just the thin edge, goes rather quickly. For the rim, I used the 16" steel rim from Go-Westy when I bought the aluminum set several years ago - yes, that's how long I've been without a spare.

Do your rims have some special offset or bolt pattern? Don't know why it (the spare) would need to look the same as the rest otherwise.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rmcd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Spare Rack 215/70R/16 Stock Location Reply with quote

You are my hero for the rest of the work week. Not calendar week mind you. Outstandingly simple! Bravo.

By contrast the insanity I was toying with building is a cross between Homer’s perfect car cup holder and an Escher drawing.

I think your design would also work well with the blue plastic drum Tupperware-like storage thing people have done.

Nice work.
Gizmoman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Spare Rack 215/70R/16 Stock Location Reply with quote

Thanks, I tend to go complicated as well and kept giving up at the thought of attempting it. Sometimes it's good to just dive in and get it done.

I should mention that the tire actually sits on the frame cross-member in the back. There's a bit of a flange sticking up which I bent away from the space using a 12" crescent (poor mans press-brake). I didn't have to bend it much and only the center 4".
vanis13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Spare Rack 215/70R/16 Stock Location Reply with quote

Will the tire install over the tall front plate when the van is sitting on its tires?

Gizmoman wrote:

www.SuperVanagon.com - some stuff I make
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Spare Rack 215/70R/16 Stock Location Reply with quote

vanis13 wrote:
Will the tire install over the tall front plate when the van is sitting on its tires?

Gizmoman wrote:

Ahh, you’re wondering if the van has to be driven onto ramps in order to get the tire out! Good question. Very Happy

OP, this looks nice. I’ve settled into carrying a 14” oem spare as kind of a doughnut. If I get a flat in the front then I need to put a good 16” from the back into the front to fit over the big brakes and then I’ll put the doughnut on the back. This works for 2WDs and folks who haven’t seen your sweet solution. Well done!

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:52 am    Post subject: Re: Spare Rack 215/70R/16 Stock Location Reply with quote

Well done, Sell me one! Cool

— Colin Chapman
AZ Landshaper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:02 am    Post subject: Re: Spare Rack 215/70R/16 Stock Location Reply with quote

Ill take one too. Since Im prepping to install my new wheels this weekend Ive had spare concerns. Not gonna be poss to use my current spare so a mod like this is quite timely. I applaud your ingenuity. Bravo my man.

Now get them into production before I find myself on the side of the road and SOL.

-------------------------------------------------------
85 Weekender w/ EJ22
Previously
64, 71, 72, 73, 76, 81, 84, 85 & 87 Campmobiles and Westfalias
and a 67 bug.
Gizmoman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:37 am    Post subject: Re: Spare Rack 215/70R/16 Stock Location Reply with quote

Thanks all - just wanted to share a fix that was so simple, hadn't thought of making 'em. I'll work on a design that can be shipped easily and put the concept up for feedback. Would anyone be opposed to threaded ends with a nut on either side of the sheet metal?

Yes, the tire can me removed and installed without the ramps - I've done it. Having the spring clip catch is essential for sure.

The driveway down to my shop is quite steep and the ramps just level the van out and makes things easier. Besides, I was also going to pull the fuel tank and see what I need to do to get it to stop leaking when I fill it all the way up. I still need to do that.

You do have to take it out sideways due to the sheet metal but it's doable. Might be a good idea to carry a set of painters coveralls stuffed somewhere - you will be getting familiar with the dirt getting this out. Very Happy
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: Spare Rack 215/70R/16 Stock Location Reply with quote

IMO, sell me the plate and I'll weld my rods on.
Gizmoman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:47 am    Post subject: Re: Spare Rack 215/70R/16 Stock Location Reply with quote

Gizmoman wrote:
Thanks all - just wanted to share a fix that was so simple, hadn't thought of making 'em. I'll work on a design that can be shipped easily and put the concept up for feedback. Would anyone be opposed to threaded ends with a nut on either side of the sheet metal?

Yes, the tire can me removed and installed without the ramps - I've done it. Having the spring clip catch is essential for sure.

The driveway down to my shop is quite steep and the ramps just level the van out and makes things easier. Besides, I was also going to pull the fuel tank and see what I need to do to get it to stop leaking when I fill it all the way up. I still need to do that.

You do have to take it out sideways due to the sheet metal but it's doable. Might be a good idea to carry a set of painters coveralls stuffed somewhere - you will be getting familiar with the dirt getting this out. Very Happy

EDIT - I may wokr on a concept where the sheet metal bit folds down to make removing it easier - like I said earlier, I tend to complicate things but this may be a worthwhile mod.
jmillsj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: Spare Rack 215/70R/16 Stock Location Reply with quote

I would love one of these if you decide to make a few for sale. I am ready to buy a rear mounted tire carrier, but this would be preferable.
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: Spare Rack 215/70R/16 Stock Location Reply with quote

A simple, elegant solution - congrats!

Is it as quiet as when the clamshell was under there? I ran without a spare for a bit while my spare was repaired and found it a lot noisier than with the tire in place.
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Gizmoman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: Spare Rack 215/70R/16 Stock Location Reply with quote

jmillsj wrote:
I would love one of these if you decide to make a few for sale. I am ready to buy a rear mounted tire carrier, but this would be preferable.

I'm going to work on it today with the following concepts in mind:
    1. Allow the sheet metal to pivot forward but not backward.
    2. Make the rods so they can attach to the plate after shipping
    3. Powder coat all the bits
    4. Try to design inside the confines of a "standard" shipping carton and gather shipping rates

I will post the concept before proceeding to get some feedback.
This could take a few weeks to get into fab so you can either wait, or forge ahead with a rear mount - your call.
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Spare Rack 215/70R/16 Stock Location Reply with quote

nice diy bent wire carrier

for those unaware, here is the commercial option
http://www.van-cafe.com/oversized-spare-tire-carrier

more pics in this thread
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=248213
Gizmoman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Spare Rack 215/70R/16 Stock Location Reply with quote

Gee, and I was almost done. . .

Well there you go fellas! Also, probably less expensive than what I had going.

The height from the top surface of the bolt tab to the rails is around 5". It would be easier to remove the tire if the plate folded down, but it would also need to resist folding up past the "ideal" angle, so the catch works properly - which really complicates things.

My Westy has 1" lift springs and 215/70R-16's and I can get the tire out when the van is on the ground by rolling it around the side of the plate. It's close though.

The Van Cafe unit is hard to beat.

Thanks Jon.

Last edited by Gizmoman on Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Spare Rack 215/70R/16 Stock Location Reply with quote

Van Cafe told me that their system would not work with the GW 16” rims with 215/60 R16 tires. I believe the barrier was the width of the alloy rim (7” IIRC).

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Spare Rack 215/70R/16 Stock Location Reply with quote

Gizmoman wrote:
215/70R-16 spare. Was very much in doubt it would fit but with a tiny bit of frame grinding, - well there you go.

well done!
Van-Cafe cant hold a candle to that Smile

jimf909 wrote:
Van Cafe told me that their system would not work with the GW 16” rims with 215/60 R16 tires.

aha! good catch
enter Gizmoman!

with the GW 16" Alloy carrier Smile

new and improved, after thousands of requests, it is finally here!
Gizmoman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Spare Rack 215/70R/16 Stock Location Reply with quote

jimf909 wrote:
Van Cafe told me that their system would not work with the GW 16” rims with 215/60 R16 tires. I believe the barrier was the width of the alloy rim (7” IIRC).

A 215/60 R16 is almost 1-1/2" smaller in diameter than the 70 - the width is the same. Obviously you wouldn't need to trim the frame for this tire.

I think a guy could put a few kinks in the VC unit and get it to work. You might need to bend the front plate out a tad to make up for the kinks. I know I can't build them for 89 bucks. As you can see in my previous screenshot - the rods need to bend down away from the hinges about an inch and then back up

Mine is a 215/70 R-16 on a Go Westy 16" steel rim. I did put a few down-up bends in the rods but it fits like a glove. I'ts also a good idea to make sure the rad hoses are not crossing over each other right where the tire lands when it's in place.

Here are a few more shots of it going in (without ramps). Again, I have 1" lift springs on all four corners as well. As you will see, it doesn't have to go in sideways.

Getting it started

Onto the rack a bit more by rocking it while pushing a bit

Ready to lift and latch

Last edited by Gizmoman on Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: