Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Tom Tom VW Museum
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
pjackman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 5:38 pm    Post subject: Tom Tom VW Museum Reply with quote

I found this amazing place in Moab, Utah, called Tom Tom Foreign Car, and met Tom Arnold, one of the Toms. He had a black horn button for an older Vanagon steering wheel that I'd been looking for.

There are tons of used VW parts stored indoors along with over 300 vehicles baking out in the yard. There appear to be some new parts too. Tom works full time in Salt Lake and drives to Moab on evenings and weekends to look after the business that was started by his father Tom.

For more pictures go to :
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?...t_dir=DESC

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by pjackman on Mon Sep 28, 2009 10:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
RGS Paul
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmmm… Going to Moab in a few weeks, that could be dangerous. Thanks for the pics, looks like a cool place.

Paul
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a big thread
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=100704
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pjackman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a great thread! I tried a search on Tom Tom before posting mine but ended up with too many hits.

After reading the comments from others about Tom's cats, I thought I'd show one of them.

SoonerDave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went by this place over Thanksgiving weekend. My fiance's family has a house over there, and I've been to Moab and Canyonlands over 20 times in recent years, but never saw this place before. I have an '86 Weekender, and I need a swivel base for my passenger seat. My excitement at seeing over 100 buses crammed in there was quickly dissolved by the realization that all but 2 (that I could see) were pre-1980.

Stepped over the cat food on the front steps to knock on the front door, no answer. Called the number on the door, talked to the owner's dad (who was very helpful), no dice on my swivel.

However, if anyone needs it and wants to do business with them, the owner's number is 801-828-8405. He called me back and was more than willing to help me find my part.

FORMERLY:
-'86 Wolfsburg Westy Weekender original 2.1 Waterboxer - "Buster". Like the moe. song - Pig can fly!! Not named after it's tendency to have things on it bust. Smile
SoonerDave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW, I went there this weekend, met Tom there and tried to talk him out of a swivel seat base from one of the only 2-3 vanagons he has. He has zero water-cooled vehicles there. He got rid of them all a few years ago.

Tons of earlier buses. I think he said he had 272 VW vans, zero water cooled ones, and only the aforementioned 2-3 vanagons.

And I failed to talk him out of the swivel seat base. He says he doesn't like to part out "full" vans.

Nice guy. Very knowledgable.

FORMERLY:
-'86 Wolfsburg Westy Weekender original 2.1 Waterboxer - "Buster". Like the moe. song - Pig can fly!! Not named after it's tendency to have things on it bust. Smile
NoDents
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: Tom Tom VW Museum Reply with quote

Sorry to resurect an old thread but was in Moab yesterday and stopped by Tom Tom's VW museum. Very sad. Lots of VW potential rotting away.

Maybe now that "my friend Pete" has moved from Texas to Moab, someone can get him interested in restoring a few of them. He's about 5 miles down the road.

Really a shame since I'm a vert Ghia guy to see 1 70s and 1 60s vert's sitting there. About 10 Ghias all together.

1963 Bug - Sold in 1980
1966 Karmann Ghia Convertible - Stolen in 1988
1971 Karmann Ghia Convertible, resto/mod COMPLETED 10/2020
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NoDents
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Tom Tom VW Museum Reply with quote

And for you bus guys, sorry no split windows. Only bay and Van

1963 Bug - Sold in 1980
1966 Karmann Ghia Convertible - Stolen in 1988
1971 Karmann Ghia Convertible, resto/mod COMPLETED 10/2020
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Tom Tom VW Museum Reply with quote

You can see it was (or still is) for sale in the super long thread mentioned above
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=100704

I'm going to lock this since we have a super long thread about it above.

Feel free to repost your message there if you want - I think a lot of people read that thread more.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: