Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1974 Muffler Change-Help Please!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 Muffler Change-Help Please! Reply with quote

Plug wires getting ready to cook.
73SlowBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 Muffler Change-Help Please! Reply with quote

imsjry wrote:
Glenn wrote:
If that is YOUR engine then you have a performance engine and a stock muffler is a bad choice and would be too restrictive.

BTW... you need to get the missing engine tin or you'll overheat your engine.

That is my engine....which came with the car. The seller told me a stock muffler would be fine to tone down the noise...so that is not the case?

What would you recommend for this engine then if not?

Is the engine tin really necessary? The seller obviously didn't have one on there.

The engine tin is absolutely necessary, if you want that engine to last at all. It will overheat without it. Glenn already sent you a link for the vintage speed. They are extremely nice. There are cheaper quiet packs as well, but the vintage speed is awesome. It looks great. It sounds great too. The stock muffler is too restrictive for your dual carb set up, especially if the engine has been rebuilt to a larger size. Also, you'll have to plug the heat riser connections on the stock muffler. The engine tin that you are missing is very inexpensive. It's worth having to make that motor last a long time. Anywhere you can see the ground is space for hot air to be recirculated. Its like a feedback loop. Hot air gets sucked in and the engine gets hotter and hotter.

That's a great looking car. Beautiful color.
imsjry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 Muffler Change-Help Please! Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
If that is YOUR engine then you have a performance engine and a stock muffler is a bad choice and would be too restrictive.

That is my engine....which came with the car. The seller told me a stock muffler would be fine to tone down the noise...so that is not the case?

What would you recommend for this engine then if not?

Is the engine tin really necessary? The seller obviously didn't have one on there.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 Muffler Change-Help Please! Reply with quote

If you want a stock looking and relatively quiet, get the Vintage Speed.. not cheap.

https://store.vintagespeed.com.tw/VW-BUG-SPORT-EXHAUST-SYSTEM-p132804011

Here's one on a Ghia engine i built.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
imsjry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:00 pm    Post subject: 1974 Muffler Change-Help Please! Reply with quote

Hi all. First time post here! Proud owner of a '74 Super as of two days ago. The issue is the muffler the guy has on it is SUPER loud and I want to replace it with a stock to get the Bug purr back.

This is the muffler I'm looking at and attached is the engine. I know i need to block off the Carb heater intakes but my question is with this engine, do I need to do anything with the holes on the top of the muffler or am I just not using them and don't need to plug them up or worry?

Sorry if this is a novice silly question and thanks in advance all.

https://www.vwheritage.com/catalog/product/view/id...gory/3075/

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: