Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Comments re Distributor??
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
texastomeh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:11 pm    Post subject: Comments re Distributor?? Reply with quote

Anyone care to comment/complain/recommend/condemn for use on a 1776 cc with dual EMPI 34 EPCs?

https://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCo...newsletter

Thanx,

Tom
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Comments re Distributor?? Reply with quote

For 40 bucks, I would use it. But it won’t last long. Either plan for a better unit or buy several of them.

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Comments re Distributor?? Reply with quote

You may have missed the part in the description where it says that price is for a case lot only, you must buy 20 minimum.

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:07 am    Post subject: Re: Comments re Distributor?? Reply with quote

You may not get what you pay for, but you always pay for what you get"

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
texastomeh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:25 am    Post subject: Re: Comments re Distributor?? Reply with quote

GEEZ!

Sorry guys! I should have been more clear(?). I was really looking for some "technical" comments/advice re my specific application. My BAD!! Embarassed

No, I did not miss the 20 unit minimum buy.

Our club is considering doing a "Group Buy" of 20 (use some and sell rest at swap meets).

Quote:

Seems to be the situation in our society today - Long on pseudo-philosophy and short on real advice. Rolling Eyes

Thanx,

Tom
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Fiddlestyx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:39 am    Post subject: Re: Comments re Distributor?? Reply with quote

From the website:
"This distributor WILL NOT work properly with aftermarket carburetion systems unless a correct vacuum port is installed into one of the carburetors. DO NOT TRY THIS YOURSELF, only an expert with proper experience on the brand of carburetor you have will be able to tell you if this can be done, and how to do this."

and

"Will work properly with any 13-1600cc Beetle, Bus or Ghia engine with the stock 34-PICT carburetor."

That's your answer, I guess, I don't know how much your carb sucks.
dubsteez79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: Comments re Distributor?? Reply with quote

My bosch 043 905 205 SVDA works well with my 1600 DP and 34 EPC's. I have vac signal from both carbs with a .035 orifice right before the vac can to hopefully smooth out the vac signal. Not sure about the CIP distributor in particular but if its a copy, I think it would be fine.
windfish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:58 am    Post subject: Re: Comments re Distributor?? Reply with quote

texastomeh wrote:
Quote:

Seems to be the situation in our society today - Long on pseudo-philosophy and short on real advice. Rolling Eyes

The vast majority of cheapie Chinese clones are poor quality.
There's been many, many posts on this board complaining about them.

imo the distributor makes such a huge difference in how well the engine runs it's not the best place to cheap out, but if you'd like to roll the dice on these please do so and report back.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: Comments re Distributor?? Reply with quote

texastomeh wrote:
I was really looking for some "technical" comments/advice re my specific application. My BAD!! Embarassed
Thanx,

Tom

They are junk, you can't get any kind of quality for $40.

They are advertised as "one size fits all", they are not. You need to have a carb with the "correct" vacuum signal. The internals are poorly made, the vacuum canisters have a high failure rate. So while you'll only spend $40, how much will a towing bill and motel room cost when you're stuck on the side of the road.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
atari
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: Comments re Distributor?? Reply with quote

texastomeh wrote:
Anyone care to comment/complain/recommend/condemn

some very well respected samba members wrote:
They suck

texastomeh wrote:
Seems to be the situation in our society today - Long on pseudo-philosophy and short on real advice

Laughing

Cheap Chinese distributors suck. Period. You'll be ripping off the people at "shows" that you re-sell them to who might not know better.

If you are serious about getting a replacement distributor for yourself (and not to re-sell to make a couple of bucks), get a real refurb'd dizzy from Glenn or another trusted samba member, or go with a quality electronic points set-up.

There are LOTS of discussions here on this topic, as it is an absolute critical component to our vehicles running properly.

But please, remember to enjoy your pseudo-Bugatti with our pseudo-philosophy! Very Happy
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Comments re Distributor?? Reply with quote

I wonder if the vacuum cans are any good, or can be swapped to a SVDA (OG 034). The NOS ones are getting pricy..
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Comments re Distributor?? Reply with quote

Pruneman99 wrote:
I wonder if the vacuum cans are any good, or can be swapped to a SVDA (OG 034). The NOS ones are getting pricy..

They have a high failure rate.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Comments re Distributor?? Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
Pruneman99 wrote:

Is this something you've experienced working with them, or just conjecture? Definitely not trying to imply anything here, just looking for discussion/info.
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Comments re Distributor?? Reply with quote

Looks like CIP1 did a little dumpster diving. Now we know what was in the brown boxes Laughing

https://www.instagram.com/p/B1H3IYTHjiB/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Comments re Distributor?? Reply with quote

Xevin wrote:
Looks like CIP1 did a little dumpster diving. Now we know what was in the brown boxes Laughing

https://www.instagram.com/p/B1H3IYTHjiB/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Hahahaha Laughing
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Comments re Distributor?? Reply with quote

Pruneman99 wrote:
Glenn wrote:
Pruneman99 wrote:

Is this something you've experienced working with them, or just conjecture? Definitely not trying to imply anything here, just looking for discussion/info.

I've personally tested a dozen that were sent to me by the owner to see why the distributor doesn't work correctly. All were under 3 months old.

I've also read many posts here reporting the same thing.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: