Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Syncro transmission lost 4th gear at highway speed
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
rpureber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:22 pm    Post subject: Syncro transmission lost 4th gear at highway speed Reply with quote

I was driving at highway speed (65/70 mph) when all of a sudden 4th gear would only rev. Right now I can shift through 1-3 just fine, shifting into 4th feels like it goes in as usual. It maybe feels a little less like it "clicks" into gear than it used to and compared to 1-3. It has something like a rattle and just revs. It does not pop out, none of the other gears operate different or feel different... it's like the gear just isn't there.

Please let me know if these videos do not work:
This one shows me going through 1-3… you can kind of hear the engine die down and I push the clutch back in before it dies…. then go into 4th and you just hear the noise.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/R4TD1cNcqecfXVWr6

You can hear the noise a little better in this one.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/PVSsnXEiNGfGHpB17

Thank you
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro transmission lost 4th gear at highway speed Reply with quote

I had a trans lose 4th gear on a road trip 5 hours out from home
was a 6hour return home in 3rd gear.
pulled the transaxle that night..
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rpureber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro transmission lost 4th gear at highway speed Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:
I had a trans lose 4th gear on a road trip 5 hours out from home
was a 6hour return home in 3rd gear.
pulled the transaxle that night..

Luckily I was maybe an hour out from my house and able to get home in 3rd much like you (though not nearly as bad as 6 hours out!).

What was the issue?
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro transmission lost 4th gear at highway speed Reply with quote

Dang that's a bummer.
Syncro transaxle can cause a smokin' checkbook, get it rebuilt properly and treat it well. Take no shortcuts on that transaxle, especially with a big engine.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This is Samba member Flomulgator's 4th gear.
See this post: Syncro stuck in 4th

and a little more info on https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8027046#8027046

If you have the original .85 4th gear (which is perfect for an EJ25 & 28" tires) this is a known defect with "original 4th gear idlers".

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
rpureber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro transmission lost 4th gear at highway speed Reply with quote

Thanks for the info. Sodo. It sounds like I need to park the van and look into a transmission rebuild. Would it be a bad idea to drive the van to a repair shop?
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro transmission lost 4th gear at highway speed Reply with quote

More miles is more risk.
Its a dilemma, between risk of more damage and tow cost.
If nothing happens you were smart to save the tow charge cuz that rebuild’s gonna be expensive. If something happens worse, you’ll kick yourself.

You could drain the oil & look at the magnet. If no chunks then....it’s more feasible to drive it..... and roll some dice too? Its only $16 for another gallon of gear oil. Don’t worry about the 1/2 qt (of 4 1/2qts capacity) for this last drive.

Another important issue is to start your research who what transmission shop you’re gonna trust to fix it. Are you taking it to a mechanic who will choose the transmission shop? Or taking it directly to a Syncro-specialty transmission shop? There aren’t many transmission shops who know how to do a Syncro correctly. Maybe ask Samba member “gears”. You (or your mechanic) may have to ship the trans to the transmission shop.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
Waldi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:36 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro transmission lost 4th gear at highway speed Reply with quote

No more driving. ! Not even running the engine.
rpureber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:28 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro transmission lost 4th gear at highway speed Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:
More miles is more risk.

I usually work with Rocky Mountain Westy when I need a shop and they have a couple of the top transmission shops they work with so I feel confident on that side. Now to decide if I want to do the removal/installation myself, risk driving it the 65 miles or look into a tow.
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:39 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro transmission lost 4th gear at highway speed Reply with quote

65 miles is much too far.
You should take it out yourself, you will bond with your machine.

MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:46 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro transmission lost 4th gear at highway speed Reply with quote

Our triple A includes 100 miles free towing. I have not seen any used Syncro transaxles for sale. That means spare hard parts are less likely to be available. I would join triple A and have it towed. Hopefully it’s an external linkage problem and the shop can diagnose that. Don’t risk it. You may have already damaged it by limping home. Hopefully not.
rpureber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:28 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro transmission lost 4th gear at highway speed Reply with quote

MarkWard wrote:
Our triple A includes 100 miles free towing. I have not seen any used Syncro transaxles for sale. That means spare hard parts are less likely to be available. I would join triple A and have it towed. Hopefully it’s an external linkage problem and the shop can diagnose that. Don’t risk it. You may have already damaged it by limping home. Hopefully not.

I talked to my wife about joining AAA recently since I'm driving the van more now and we tend to venture into the wilderness... looks like that just moved up on my ToDo list.

I'm fairly certain the 4th blew out like Sodo described initially. It's a textbook description of what is happening. I knew when buying the car that the trans. hadn't been serviced and would need it... I was just a little naive in hoping that it wouldn't piggy-back onto the other multiple thousands of dollars I'd be throwing at the van in my first year of ownership. I have no idea why I would think anything different would happen... I have a history with old VWs so I should know better.

Sodo wrote:
You should take it out yourself, you will bond with your machine.

I realize, agree and usually would not think twice... unfortunately, I am working overtime while caring for my 4 month old among other "life" things... so I just can't justify/carve out the time. Needing a vehicle that can transport my daughter (my other car is a Ghia and The Wife says no baby until she's in a booster seat), upcoming travel and family visitors all factor into not being able to do what I partially bought the van for... to work on it.

I appreciate all of the information folks. I am communicating with Rocky Mountain Westy and doing some light reading on options etc... but I'm fairly certain I will be signing up for AAA today and putting together my build options to try and get this done ASAP. I already have at least one trip that I will need to find an alternative for. Another hope is that RS Fab can communicate in anyway what-so-ever to get my new linkage rod to me so I can then have the new transmission, linkage rod and my already installed Big Shot all in and have the entire package working well. I'm not very hopeful there.
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:48 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro transmission lost 4th gear at highway speed Reply with quote

Yes we're in America.
You can't even list carseat on craigslist for the risk that it might have been "recalled" and relegated to "certain death".
Craigslist would never be able to forgive themselves for being an accessory.

Link

Meanwhile, the rest of the world is stuck "in reality".
And thriving/surviving in it.
Ask yourself "how would they do it in India or Thailand?"
Then maybe consider a solution on the "safer"side.
But don't get carried away. If the kid is in a modern car MOST of the time don't worry.

Anyway I understand the situation, both the uber-mom AND the time crunch.
My van went unused for several years when the kids were tiny.
You will NEED it in just a few short years.... so be sure to get it in order!

rpureber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:54 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro transmission lost 4th gear at highway speed Reply with quote

MarkWard wrote:
Our triple A includes 100 miles free towing.

Which plan do you have? I'm looking at the Plus or Premier... it seems like the Premier gives you the option of extending one service call a year from 100 miles to 200 miles as well as a second truck for up to 2 hours of extraction. However, I'm guessing if I ever need extraction it'll be from a situation that they wouldn't cover. I'm thinking Plus... but I'm wondering if anyone has experience on the regular plan -vs- RV. I'm guessing I would be at the will of the AAA operator for at-the-time service coverage... determining if the van is technically a vehicle or an RV since it's a Westfalia.
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:10 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro transmission lost 4th gear at highway speed Reply with quote

Years ago I got AAA for my wife. One year she almost exceeded the number of allowed tows. Not that she drives junk, but flats, dead batteries, etc happen. It’s was easier and quicker to have AAA pick her up and tow her to our shop.

When we take a road trip, we load up on maps, tour, and camp books for the states we drive through. We also get discounts if AARP is not accepted. Adding me as a second driver was half.

It’s cheap insurance and hopefully you never use it. Well worth it.

Edit. We have Plus. Our vanagon has many faces depending on who asks. I think the registration says SW which is station wagon. It’s a van it’s a bus and sometimes it’s a RV. If we needed a tow, it’s a van.
Microbusdeluxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro transmission lost 4th gear at highway speed Reply with quote

Whether it's an RV or an automobile seems to vary from state to state. In Washington state our Westy is considered an auto. We get the Premier Plan. That 200 mile tow, with a couple of nights hotel & meals thrown in is a good deal.
'81 Westy sold
'89 hightop Westy Joker syncro 16" now with Bostig!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rpureber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:40 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro transmission lost 4th gear at highway speed Reply with quote

Good to know, thanks guys. I got the regular car Premier Plan. Now to sort out the build and progress through the crying phase.
jkidd152
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro transmission lost 4th gear at highway speed Reply with quote

I lost my 4th gear going about 40 mph. Like you, my other gears worked. I made it home (less than a mile). I pulled out the trans and had it professionally rebuilt by German Transaxle in Bend (highly recommend them). I felt very lucky to have no other damage besides what is shown.

Here is my souvenir and conversation starter. The weld broke on the pieces on the right causing 4th gear to break. Hope you can be back on the road soon.

rpureber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro transmission lost 4th gear at highway speed Reply with quote

jkidd152 wrote:
I pulled out the trans and had it professionally rebuilt by German Transaxle in Bend (highly recommend them).

I spoke with Ken for awhile yesterday and will be getting it to him asap!
Waldi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:49 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro transmission lost 4th gear at highway speed Reply with quote

jkidd152 wrote:
I lost my 4th gear going about 40 mph. Like you, my other gears worked. I made it home (less than a mile). I pulled out the trans and had it professionally rebuilt by German Transaxle in Bend (highly recommend them). I felt very lucky to have no other damage besides what is shown.

Here is my souvenir and conversation starter. The weld broke on the pieces on the right causing 4th gear to break. Hope you can be back on the road soon.

If I see the needle bearing face on your gear, I will not believe that the main schaft face was ok.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: