Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Transmission Case Corrosion
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mathew Zelezen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:19 pm    Post subject: Transmission Case Corrosion Reply with quote

Removed the fuel tank on an 87 Syncro and came across this..
What causes this kind of corrosion and is this case too far gone?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Of all sad words of tongue or pen, the saddest are these: It might have been.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:21 am    Post subject: Re: Transmission Case Corrosion Reply with quote

are you going to be tearing into it for rebuild? if so, i'd pressure wash it and see what's under the crud. if NOT tearing into it, i would use a stiff brass brush, engine cleaner, and only a garden hose with hot water so as to not force water into the trans.

then paint it with Rustoleum Gray oil based paint. don't bother with the Rustoleum aluminum primer, i used that on my corroded trans and it didn't stick as well as the plain Rustoleum.

'87 Westy & '89 Westy both 2.1 4spd

Past projects can be found at--
www.thefixitworkshop.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
markswagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:22 am    Post subject: Re: Transmission Case Corrosion Reply with quote

Has the transmission been out before, and stood outside for a whhile, that would do it. I took a syncro transmission for its second rebuild, different shop from the first, we found the inside of the transmission to be corroded like this, it looked fresh, the corrosion, and not like it had been sat in oil for many thousands of miles Sad there was a whole lot wrong with that rebuild.

619 201 0310
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: Transmission Case Corrosion Reply with quote

Looks like good old fashioned road salt poisoning to me.
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: Transmission Case Corrosion Reply with quote

I don't know the syncro tranny very well but on my 2wd case, I built up some areas with JB Weld and washers, pieces of EMT tube.

A bunch of pics here:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/RSo30ARifF1BGVjA2

Neil.

1988 West, 50º ABA

Vanagon VAG GAS engine swap Google Group:
https://tinyurl.com/2f24rmh

VE7TBN
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: Transmission Case Corrosion Reply with quote

Yeah...... look at that red RTV oozing out of the joints. WAY too much goo was used!
This ain't the first time out for this puppy.

It has been cleaned when rebuilt which removed all of the protective coating that VW put on it.
Years of salty Winter driving and you've got this. Look at the transfer case section, never cleaned and still protected.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: Transmission Case Corrosion Reply with quote

Most 30 year old trannys driven in the salt belt were recycled into Kias decades ago.

Last edited by Wildthings on Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mathew Zelezen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission Case Corrosion Reply with quote

Thanks all for taking a look!

OK, I just wanted to make sure there wasn't something other than environmental causing this corrosion that I needed to address before I put another one in there.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission Case Corrosion Reply with quote

Mathew Zelezen wrote:
Thanks all for taking a look!

OK, I just wanted to make sure there wasn't something other than environmental causing this corrosion that I needed to address before I put another one in there.

Are you getting another van together?

I'm pretty sure you're the guy whose van got supersmashed while parked by the driver who fell asleep at the wheel.
Mathew Zelezen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission Case Corrosion Reply with quote

Guilty as charged.

alaskadan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission Case Corrosion Reply with quote

When i pulled my trans (87 syncro) it was a little worse. I had to buy at least one new used case part, mighta been two. Common thought there is that its the insulation above it that gets loaded with grit and salt and stays in contact with the trans as mine was. Didnt replace it. There are threads on it. Now I can pressure wash through the wheel wells and get to some of it.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: