Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New Record? 120 usable Amp Hours under Driver's seat
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: New Record? 120 usable Amp Hours under Driver's seat Reply with quote

If you're willing to do your homework and devote time to building your own LiFePo4 battery then you can save a lot of cash.

Look at this YouTube channel

Link

vwhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: New Record? 120 usable Amp Hours under Driver's seat Reply with quote

https://youtu.be/i4oJYhGKw1s

This might get you started.

Edit: Dang! Beat me to it.
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Instagram Classifieds Feedback
baltik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: New Record? 120 usable Amp Hours under Driver's seat Reply with quote

As far as BMS is concerned there are 3 options that are emerging in the market

Option 1: Deligreen -
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32852570488.html
PROs: cheap, easy and proven

CONs - no low temp cutoff, not suitable for colder climates, no ability to set parameters, no ability to monitor usage/capacity etc.
(side note, seller has offered me to add a temp sensor for $1 extra, however this is completely unproven and one should test thoroughly prior to implementing in cold weather)

Option 2: Smart BMS - 100A+bluetooth https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000425316662.html
PROs: low temp cutoff, some customization via bluetooth app. Ability to monitor remaining capacity, voltage etc

CONs: still relatively unproven, no ability to read capacity/voltage etc without connecting via bluetooth

Option 3: Electrodacus
https://electrodacus.com/
PROs: by far the most complete/customizable option. Suitable for 4 & 8 battery banks. Built in Solar controller. Easy to read real time displays with all data. Historical logging

CONs: by far most expensive, requires more work/wiring. SBMS 40 not suitable for high loads (SBMS 120 is)

Last edited by baltik on Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: New Record? 120 usable Amp Hours under Driver's seat Reply with quote

baltik wrote:
i think this video should answer most of your questions:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hgs2jQoEcI

bottom line, it will work but build quality will (likely) be poor and it wont fit in the aux battery location

That was a fantastic video! Thanks for posting.
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: New Record? 120 usable Amp Hours under Driver's seat Reply with quote

baltik wrote:

Option 3: Electrodacus
https://electrodacus.com/
PROs: by far the most complete/customizable option. Suitable for 4 & 8 battery banks. Built in Solar controller. Easy to read real time displays with all data. Historical logging

CONs: by far most expensive, requires more work/wiring. SBMS 40 not suitable for high loads (SBMS 120 is)

There is also a substantial lead time on the Electrodacus and as a solar charge controller it should be noted that it does not do MPPT.
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Instagram Classifieds Feedback
jocoman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: New Record? 120 usable Amp Hours under Driver's seat Reply with quote

The big down side for some of us, with this is the requirement to have at least 0C temperature for charging.
If you want to do any camping around the freezing mark, then this is not a good solution. Too bad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: New Record? 120 usable Amp Hours under Driver's seat Reply with quote

jocoman wrote:
The big down side for some of us, with this is the requirement to have at least 0C temperature for charging.
If you want to do any camping around the freezing mark, then this is not a good solution. Too bad

You can do heaters to get the batteries up to temp before charging but naturally this complicates things a bit.

If you had a decent load on the batteries there is the possibility that the battery would warm up on its own to the point that it could begin charging.
ledogboy Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:15 pm    Post subject: Re: New Record? 120 usable Amp Hours under Driver's seat Reply with quote

jocoman wrote:

A heating solution for that confined space would likely be simpler than many of the projects people have done to fit batteries into non-stock parts of the van (whether rear bench, Peace Vans-style frame rail install, etc...)
Some people call him Maurice...
baltik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: New Record? 120 usable Amp Hours under Driver's seat Reply with quote

something like this would work
https://www.etrailer.com/RV-Fresh-Water/LaSalle-Bristol/277-000164.html

obviously you would need to remember to turn it off when not actively using the van

more discussion here:
https://diysolarforum.com/threads/lifepo4-heating-pad-for-cold-temperatures.5/
vwhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: New Record? 120 usable Amp Hours under Driver's seat Reply with quote

Better yet get one of the cheap diesel heaters and get it going to heat the batteries and the van at the same time.
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: New Record? 120 usable Amp Hours under Driver's seat Reply with quote

That's one of the reason I installed heater here next to water tank. I hope to put a LiFePo4 in this area too!
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

jocoman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: New Record? 120 usable Amp Hours under Driver's seat Reply with quote

Now that's something to think about! Good idea! txs
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
baltik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: New Record? 120 usable Amp Hours under Driver's seat Reply with quote

Bumping this thread as I was able to get this setup to work with 150AH cells in the same location:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000108409254.html...421FCe5Ag0

for those in the market:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2385712
vwhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 2:23 pm    Post subject: Re: New Record? 120 usable Amp Hours under Driver's seat Reply with quote

I was just looking at those batteries for my set up and wondering if they would fit under the seat.
The dimensions are the same as the 120ah and people have done that so...

I have been thinking about moving my starter battery to the rear and putting some of those batteries under both front seats.
However, I have a 250 amp alternator and 300 watts of solar and don't really plan on being off grid for more than 2 or 3 days at a time so 300ah of battery is probably overkill.

4x4 build
https://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/volkswagen-vanagon-4x4-conversion.162055/
ProspectiveOwnergon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re: New Record? 120 usable Amp Hours under Driver's seat Reply with quote

vwhammer wrote:
I was just looking at those batteries for my set up and wondering if they would fit under the seat.
The dimensions are the same as the 120ah and people have done that so...

I have been thinking about moving my starter battery to the rear and putting some of those batteries under both front seats.
However, I have a 250 amp alternator and 300 watts of solar and don't really plan on being off grid for more than 2 or 3 days at a time so 300ah of battery is probably overkill.

When you do a subaru conversion, the passenger area under the side intake is completely blank. Can you put a water tight battery in that area as the starter battery?
baltik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: New Record? 120 usable Amp Hours under Driver's seat Reply with quote

I’ve seen others successfully do the battery relocation
Pics below

That was my plan as well to go with the dual lithium, but I came to the realization it’s overkill, I can camp in my westy without a microwave

Last edited by baltik on Wed Jun 03, 2020 6:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: New Record? 120 usable Amp Hours under Driver's seat Reply with quote

baltik wrote:
Bumping this thread as I was able to get this setup to work with 150AH cells in the same location:

for those in the market:

Thanks for the link. $550 shipped for 150ah is incredible.
rontv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 1:46 am    Post subject: Re: New Record? 120 usable Amp Hours under Driver's seat Reply with quote

woow, i like 120Ah

i finally went for a renogy 100Ah LifePO4, on sale in UK (i live in NL) for 600GBP, still aroun 800USD i gues, but should fit nicely in the second battery bay

now considering which DC-DC charger to use, with or without MPPT
full blown redarc, the renogy one or a german one without MPPT for which i could use my old Victron one

Love the redarc but expensive

anybody any other suggestions?
pnwkayaker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 6:08 am    Post subject: Re: New Record? 120 usable Amp Hours under Driver's seat Reply with quote

Do you have a link to the Renogy battery? So far I haven't seen any 100Ah off-the-shelf battery that will fit in the aux battery location, biggest ones I've seen are the GoWesty or Battleborn 50Ah batteries (the solution from this thread uses lithium-cells with an external BMS)

It took me several months to make up my mind (price was the biggest concern), but I finally bought the Redarc unit (25A version), should be finishing the installation this weekend. I like the simplicity of having the DC-DC and MPPT solar charger in the same device, with the Redarc taking care of all the charge balancing.

rontv wrote:
woow, i like 120Ah

i finally went for a renogy 100Ah LifePO4, on sale in UK (i live in NL) for 600GBP, still aroun 800USD i gues, but should fit nicely in the second battery bay

now considering which DC-DC charger to use, with or without MPPT
full blown redarc, the renogy one or a german one without MPPT for which i could use my old Victron one

Love the redarc but expensive

anybody any other suggestions?

Seattle Meetup at Marymoor (link)
A collection of Simple Useful Mods (SUM) (link)
jacklar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: New Record? 120 usable Amp Hours under Driver's seat Reply with quote

baltik wrote:

for those in the market:

Thanks for the link and explaining your setup. I just pulled the trigger on the 150AH cells shipped to Canada. I maybe back to ask some questions. I’m going to set this up w/ a solar setup and figure out a method of warming them when temps get to 0 for chilly spring or fall nights. I’ll keep folks updated on my journey of setting mine up as a relative newbie.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8

Jump to: