Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My 69 refresh thread.
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:53 pm    Post subject: My 69 refresh thread. Reply with quote

I have a couple of current threads going, one about my autostick transmission and one about my vacuum/oil leak issues on the engine which I have already pulled and disassembled. Someone suggested I start a new thread combining those topics, plus while the car is out of commission I figured I would do a lot of stuff on it that I have been meaning to do for a long time now. So I decided to just do a whole refresh thread-- everything will take some time but in the end I'll hopefully be where I've wanted to be for awhile with my car. I have recently refinanced my mortgage (yet another topic I posted about in the general forum) and have come into a bit of spending cash as a result, so I figure that makes this the perfect time to do all this stuff as well. Most of it is simple stuff like redoing the interior, etc.

Anyone is more than welcome to post any thoughts/ opinions/ suggestions. Lots of the tight-knit west coast group on here have me on ignore so there might not be nearly as much input as there would be on another thread of this type, but they are welcome to post too if they want.

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: My 69 refresh thread. Reply with quote

Here is my car as it sits now, with engine out once again:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

One thing I would like to take care of while the engine bay is empty is getting new tarboard installed. The problem is that my sheet metal tabs that go around the deck lid and bend in to hold the tarboard in place have all broken off, resulting in the current tarboard curling up from the heat of the engine:

So before installing the new board I have to find someone willing to spot weld new tabs back into place.
Also in that left side photo above, you'll see my alternator wire has been held together for awhile now with a large wire nut. It's done the job but it needs to be fixed- and there are other various wiring finagles on my car making me want to just replace the entire main harness with a new one. Unfortunately no one makes a standard autostick wire harness with the extra wire for the ATF warning light. However there is a place in England-- http://www.vwlooms.com/-- that said they would hand make me a new one for about the same price as buying one new here, so I'll probably go that route.

I have almost completed recovering my seats with a set of covers I bought off the classifieds here a couple years ago. The only one left is the bottom rear:

Unfortunately that appears to be hog-ringed instead of using spikes in the seat frames like the other seats. I currenty do not have a hog ring tool but I'll try to find one and finish that up asap.

Other items include getting a new dash pad-- the one I have installed now does not look bad at all but it had a rip alongside the bottom of the glove box door area causing the edge of the pad there to raise up and block the glove box door from opening properly:

Although someone else on here recently had issues with a blemish replacement from WCM fitting properly, that's probably the route I'll go and hope it's just a small scratch or something. (There is a decent looking used one in the classifeds here for $55 as well):

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2283303

I am also going to need new door cards as many many years ago (around 1987 I think) we had a stereo shop install a new head unit and door speakers in the car, that system is long gone but the speaker holes remain

I will also be installing a new carpet and headliner. I installed a carpet kit once before several years ago:

But I didn't like the charcoal color so I took it back out. I really would like to find a nice oatmeal carpet for it but they seem hard to come by for a 69. And then finally there is the bane of the interior redo: the headliner. I ripped out the crusty old liner years ago:

and have had a replacement headliner sitting in a box ever since. This is the one item I would much rather source out than attempt myself, problem is no one around my area seems willing to do a headliner install for me. I even took this car to a local automotive upholstery shop a few years back who said they would do it, then the car sat for 3 months untouched while I waited. I finally told them forget it and picked the car back up.

Other items include tidying up the front harness wiring, new window scrapers for the doors, new stereo system, and various other little tidbits here and there.

1600 SP engine
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: My 69 refresh thread. Reply with quote

here is the engine as it sits now, stripped down to the long block minus the heads:

I am unsure how far I want to go disassembling this as I dont think there is really anything wrong with the engine itself, however I do think there might be a leak coming from the seal up front behind my drive plate (it's an autostick Smile ):

I also drained the gear oil out of the transmission:

And am currently waiting for a replacement drain pan gasket to arrive (I ordered a couple from mofoco which was listed on their website as the correct one for the autostick, but they sent me the wrong ones):

As they apparently do not carry the correct autostick one, they told me to just keep the ones I received-- anyone know what these are for? I'll just give them to anyone who wants them for cost of shipping.

1600 SP engine
AlmostHeavenWV_VW Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: My 69 refresh thread. Reply with quote

I'm clueless when it comes to autosticks, but....

Does this have the gasket you are looking for?

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/volkswagen,196...ilter,8600

Otherwise, looking forward to following the refresh thread, sb001 Very Happy
Bosch DVDA 205AJ Distributor
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:34 pm    Post subject: Re: My 69 refresh thread. Reply with quote

AlmostHeavenWV_VW wrote:
I'm clueless when it comes to autosticks, but....

Does this have the gasket you are looking for?

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/volkswagen,196...ilter,8600

Otherwise, looking forward to following the refresh thread, sb001 Very Happy

Thanks almostheaven-- Unfortunately that is the wrong gasket as well, that might be the same as the one I received from mofoco although theirs was cork material. The autostick pan gasket is smaller and much more squared off, looks like this:

I actually looked at that one when I put in an order from rockauto for some parts a few days ago. I needed a new condenser as the wire on the one I had broke off somehow when I was removing the engine:

(rockauto actually listed a condenser specifically for the autostick, it was an Airtex/Wells not a Bosch but was only $4 so I went ahead and bought it--for whatever reason the autsotick condensers seem to have a longer cylinder than the standards.) Also I went ahead and ordered new NGK plugs as the old Bosch ones I had on the car were worse for wear and the #3 plug was covered in soot:

And I went ahead and threw in a new set of Bosch points. Which reminds me-- many thanks go out to both Tim @ volkzbitz and heimlich (Marcel) @ vwnos for looking over my carburetor and distributor for me and making sure they were in proper working order.

1600 SP engine
AlmostHeavenWV_VW Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: My 69 refresh thread. Reply with quote

Sorry to keep popping in with these links for the gasket.....

This one claims it is a 'Genuine Volkswagen' part

https://www.pelicanparts.com/More_Info/001301139A.htm?pn=001-301-139-A-VAG
Bosch DVDA 205AJ Distributor
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: My 69 refresh thread. Reply with quote

AlmostHeavenWV_VW wrote:
Sorry to keep popping in with these links for the gasket.....

This one claims it is a 'Genuine Volkswagen' part

https://www.pelicanparts.com/More_Info/001301139A.htm?pn=001-301-139-A-VAG

No problem almostheaven! I appreciate your help Very Happy

I had not seen that one, that's a bit more than I would like to spend but may be worth buying even at that price if original VW. They are becoming hard to find, but bugcity lists one for $7 (aftermarket I'm sure) as well as a genune NOS West German Goetz and an Elring

https://www.bugcity.com/shop/shop.lasso?pquery=autostick+gasket

1600 SP engine
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: My 69 refresh thread. Reply with quote

Took all my engine tin, heater boxes, intake, and muffler to be powdercoated today. Total cost $600 + tax-- ouch, but I'll never have to worry about it again!

Also went ahead and ordered the drain pan gasket almostheaven linked above, thx for the link!

1600 SP engine
Frank Bassman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: My 69 refresh thread. Reply with quote

Whatever bosch points you get, try pulling the pivot. Area spring up. If it pulls off easily, odds are you'll have a bucking bronco down the road. In two months I went through about 7 people's cars where a "new set of bosch points" was the culprit. On mine, I run the different design frame points as I find it to be much better constructed and not susceptible to this issue.

Beru points had that issue at some point too.

Also, you may also be ahead with the wells condensor, as I have seen plenty of new bosch replacement condensors fail prematurely.

Just a few things I've seen that leave much to be desired from good ol Bosch.

Good luck!

-Frank
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: My 69 refresh thread. Reply with quote

Don’t assume just because plugs are dirty or soot covered that they are bad. I’d run them through the plastic blast machine then give a hard look at center electrode and tip for wear. At very least you can save for spares to use in a pinch. There is a fireman who runs powder coat business here on the side, very reasonable rates. Next time you are here I’ll show you his place, also the headliner man is still here and works from home is retired and again affordable. Yes we are 98 miles apart but you combine several things and it may be worth the drive. Very Happy the headliner guy also does welding he could weld those tits to hold tar board.
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:54 pm    Post subject: Re: My 69 refresh thread. Reply with quote

Frank Bassman wrote:
Whatever bosch points you get, try pulling the pivot. Area spring up. If it pulls off easily, odds are you'll have a bucking bronco down the road. In two months I went through about 7 people's cars where a "new set of bosch points" was the culprit. On mine, I run the different design frame points as I find it to be much better constructed and not susceptible to this issue.

Beru points had that issue at some point too.

Also, you may also be ahead with the wells condensor, as I have seen plenty of new bosch replacement condensors fail prematurely.

Just a few things I've seen that leave much to be desired from good ol Bosch.

Good luck!

-Frank

Thank you for that info! I will check the points when they come in, they were the correct ones for my AE autotick distributor and rockauto had them for a good price, but if they don't check out rockauto also had the wells points for this distributor as well, I might just put in another order for those.

1600 SP engine
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: My 69 refresh thread. Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
There is a fireman who runs powder coat business here on the side, very reasonable rates.

Now you tell me! Razz

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
Next time you are here I’ll show you his place, also the headliner man is still here and works from home is retired and again affordable. Yes we are 98 miles apart but you combine several things and it may be worth the drive. Very Happy the headliner guy also does welding he could weld those tits to hold tar board.

Thanks, I'd be fine with driving the car over but if I waited until the engine was back in would that pose any problems welding the new tabs on for the tarboard? I'm also wondering if the headliner would be easier too if I just hauled the shell over with no seats in it.

If I'm having all that done over there as well how would you like to check the case over for me especially as it looks like I might have a front main seal leak?? Very Happy

1600 SP engine
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:32 pm    Post subject: Re: My 69 refresh thread. Reply with quote

I really like that color red and it pops with the black and white rims. Nice bug!
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:01 pm    Post subject: Re: My 69 refresh thread. Reply with quote

Buggeee wrote:
I really like that color red and it pops with the black and white rims. Nice bug!

Thank you Buggee- all credit goes to my folks who picked it off the lot in 1969! (Actually they chose it mainly because it was an autostick and my mom did not want to drive a manual. It just happened to be royal red Razz )

1600 SP engine
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: My 69 refresh thread. Reply with quote

Got some parts in from rockauto today-

They offered a few different engine gasket sets on their website, two of them were Elring (one with the main seal and one without)

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=547305...mp;jsn=436

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=5473059&cc=1280168&jsn=438&jsn=438

But if you notice neither one of those sets seem to include the 8mm-to-10mm oil cooler adapter seals that I need.

This set they had clearly shows the green adapter seals I need, as well as good quality cork valve cover gaskets:

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=5473053&cc=1280168&jsn=437&jsn=437

So I went with it... turns out it is some off brand Mexican kit called Cortiris(?)

the valve cover gaskets are rubber, not cork, and of course the adapter seals shown in the picture are NOT in the set. Mad

I already have a spare pair of cork valve cover gaskets but I guess I'll just have to order the cooler seals separately. Rolling Eyes

I also got the replacement Bosch points, they appear to be Made in Brazil Bosch which may or may not be good

1600 SP engine
scrivyscriv
Samba Electrician

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: My 69 refresh thread. Reply with quote

sb001 wrote:
...Anyone is more than welcome to post any thoughts/ opinions/ suggestions. Lots of the tight-knit west coast group on here have me on ignore so there might not be nearly as much input as there would be on another thread of this type, but they are welcome to post too if they want.

Well I'm not on the west coast but I generally qualify for this, so here's my opinion/suggestion...

Probably a good idea not to open the engine case up any more if you don't have a specific reason for it.. you might fix the oil leak at the seal, you might not. being an autostick it's obviously not as big of a deal as getting oil on a manual clutch would be.
If you're ever in the Memphis area, you are welcome to stop by for advice and help.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: My 69 refresh thread. Reply with quote

scrivyscriv wrote:
sb001 wrote:
...Anyone is more than welcome to post any thoughts/ opinions/ suggestions. Lots of the tight-knit west coast group on here have me on ignore so there might not be nearly as much input as there would be on another thread of this type, but they are welcome to post too if they want.

Well I'm not on the west coast but I generally qualify for this, so here's my opinion/suggestion...

Probably a good idea not to open the engine case up any more if you don't have a specific reason for it.. you might fix the oil leak at the seal, you might not. being an autostick it's obviously not as big of a deal as getting oil on a manual clutch would be.

Thanks scriv, I'll probably end up just keeping the case as is, other than the oil seeping out I don't see any problems with it. I can at least check the torque on the case bolts and make sure they are still correct.
Zundfolge has offered to help me take a look at it but it would be down the road a ways, like at least a couple months. If I am still freshening up other stuff on the car by then and it's still out of commission I might take him up on that.

1600 SP engine
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 1:31 pm    Post subject: Re: My 69 refresh thread. Reply with quote

Has anyone ever heard of that Cortiris brand gasket set I posted above? Just wondering what the quality is on it...

Also, I finally found the correct autostick pan gasket (actually Heimlich--vwnos.com-- contacted me and informed me he had the correct ones for a great price so I ordered 3 of them):

https://www.vwnos.com/001-301-139-a

1600 SP engine
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: My 69 refresh thread. Reply with quote

I got some of my tins back from the powdercoating shop today- I am stoked at how these turned out.

I still have a few tins left as well as my muffler and intake, waiting for my next paycheck to get those done.

The only issue I have is with the oil bath cleaner-- I neglected to remove the clips so they got powdercoated black along with the cleaner body- oops. Thinking I might either take those back and have the shop powdercoat them back silver again when they do my intake or I also have another cleaner I can just pop the clips off of and use those. The bigger issue is the fact that apaprently something in the powdercoating process causes the mesh inside the lid to disintegrate! There is absolutely no mesh left in there- it's clear all the way through. So I might just have to use the other lid from my other cleaner- if I wanted that one powdercoated how do I keep the mesh from disappearing on that one?? Question Confused

1600 SP engine
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: My 69 refresh thread. Reply with quote

The powdercoat process involves baking in an oven. There is no way the natural fiber in the air cleaner can survive that.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: