Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Thing is Cruising Again
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rebel181
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:19 am    Post subject: Thing is Cruising Again Reply with quote

Hello fellow Thing enthusiasts! I am so happy to be on the road again and a new member at Samba. My name is Molly and I have owned my Thing for 20 years. Is has been sitting in my garage all that time. I know, shame on me for neglecting it. Recently, I acquired a rebuilt bug engine so I swapped out the original that I want to rebuild. This week end I have been breaking in the new motor after replacing brakes: front drums, master cylinder, wheel cylinders, shoes.

I’m working on more lubing, greasing, adjusting today. Many posts here have been so helpful. Thank you! I’ll post a pic after get one uploaded.
Rebel181
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: Thing is Cruising Again Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
el_safari
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 3:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Thing is Cruising Again Reply with quote

Hi
Welcome to the big family!
I have one 181 in a garage waiting for rebirth since 29years...
I have also the same rollbar Cool
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Thing is Cruising Again Reply with quote

Welcome, and enjoy driving your Thing.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jakokombi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: Thing is Cruising Again Reply with quote

Nice work Molly, and nice looking Thing!

Can you tell me what wheels those are? Also, what is on the rear bumper?
72 Baja
Rebel181
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Thing is Cruising Again Reply with quote

Hi El-Safari! Thank you for making me feel better about all those years in the garage! You almost have a decade on me😁
Rebel181
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Thing is Cruising Again Reply with quote

Hi Jakokombi! Nice to meet you!

Those are aluminum not exactly Centerline but along those lines rims. They have one locking lug nut each rim. On the back bumper sits my spare tire, it’s on a bar that swings out and lock’s in. On the sides there are two little boxes to hold gas and water with tie downs. Front bumper modified with brush covers over headlights, pair of fog lights, pair of driving lights. There is one additional light on rear bumper too. All of this was on it when I bought it, along with rifle holders behind front seats. It also has a small air compressor and a little generator in the trunk, lots of room in there with no spare and no gas heater.
car barn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:31 am    Post subject: Re: Thing is Cruising Again Reply with quote

Very nice!
Welcome back to the road!
It took me 12 years to finally start driving mine last month.
Our cars kind of visually rhyme.
Enjoy!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: