Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Gearbox Parts
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
edgood1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:25 am    Post subject: Re: Gearbox Parts Reply with quote

It could be a later center section with the original small nut axles and original reduction gear boxes.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
PYE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:52 am    Post subject: Re: Gearbox Parts Reply with quote

Who.Me? wrote:
PYE wrote:
My 57 split has started to jump out of 4th. Im going to take out the box and strip it. My problem is that while waiting for parts its going to block up the workshop so I need the parts quick. The gearbox came from a 59 panel, but Im not even sure that was original. Checking all the usual suspects in the UK the only parts they do are 60> so I have been trying to identify the age of the box. its a bolt on front mount and the stamped number is H3 862 429. All my searches have turned up nothing so far Sad

A H-code should be a very late splitty box (1967, I think). That's what a previous owner fitted to my truck.

Measure the rear hub nut. If it's 46mm, it's definitely a later box.

its a small nut trans
PYE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:52 am    Post subject: Re: Gearbox Parts Reply with quote

Peter_N wrote:
Never heard of that mod.
With a bolt on nosecone and H# stamped I would suspect a >'60 tunnel trans in stead of a splitcase trans. I'm not an expert though.

Pictures would help identify it!

Good luck

It is a later box with the later front mount
Who.Me? Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:48 am    Post subject: Re: Gearbox Parts Reply with quote

PYE wrote:
My 57 split has started to jump out of 4th. Im going to take out the box and strip it. My problem is that while waiting for parts its going to block up the workshop so I need the parts quick. The gearbox came from a 59 panel, but Im not even sure that was original. Checking all the usual suspects in the UK the only parts they do are 60> so I have been trying to identify the age of the box. its a bolt on front mount and the stamped number is H3 862 429. All my searches have turned up nothing so far Sad

A H-code should be a very late splitty box (1967, I think). That's what a previous owner fitted to my truck.

Measure the rear hub nut. If it's 46mm, it's definitely a later box.

Looking for info on my truck's history. Are you from Campbell California or nearby. Do you recognise it? ... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=636786
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Peter_N
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:42 am    Post subject: Re: Gearbox Parts Reply with quote

Never heard of that mod.
With a bolt on nosecone and H# stamped I would suspect a >'60 tunnel trans in stead of a splitcase trans. I'm not an expert though.

Pictures would help identify it!

Good luck
PYE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:41 am    Post subject: Re: Gearbox Parts Reply with quote

Just searching and it would appear that if the synchro gear for 3rd and 4th has gone there may well be a way of modifying it by grinding some of the teeth off, I wonder if anyone has any more information on the process??
PYE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:55 am    Post subject: Gearbox Parts Reply with quote

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: