Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

ISP or Speedhut Speedo 57 Bus
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vwy2k
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 5:40 pm    Post subject: ISP or Speedhut Speedo 57 Bus Reply with quote

Anyone have recommendations on either brand? Looking to get a speedo and fuel gauge combo
sub-hatchtim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 9:12 pm    Post subject: Re: ISP or Speedhut Speedo 57 Bus Reply with quote

I've seen the isp in person

Meh

Looks cool but the lighting is less to be desired
dubman67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: ISP or Speedhut Speedo 57 Bus Reply with quote

vwy2k wrote:
Anyone have recommendations on either brand? Looking to get a speedo and fuel gauge combo

Love my Speedhut gauges.
Pros:
You program the fuel gauge for any ohm settings.
You can program the fuel gauge for empty and full. I purposely ran my dc out of gas. Put 2 gallons in it and programed it for empty.
The Speedo is GPS. No inaccurate speed readings from different than stock tire diameters.
Trip meter, altimeter, compass, and max speed displayed.
Programable shift lift light
Cons:
No provisions in the speedo for oil pressure or generator idiot lights.
Speedo is spendy.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

"At 17 got my first Volkswagen...and mastered the life long art of dragin...." Ice Cube
NUTSFORBUSES
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 7:31 pm    Post subject: Re: ISP or Speedhut Speedo 57 Bus Reply with quote

Love my Speedhut gauges.
Pros:

Cons:
Speedo is spendy.
Like that Fuel Gauge a lot. The speedo is nice also, but the lack of idiot lights kills that side of the deal for me. Both lights are important, and relocation for me is not optional after looking at this speedo since 1976. They should have incorporated this into the Bus upgrade
Thanks for showing Yours
vwy2k
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 5:24 am    Post subject: Re: ISP or Speedhut Speedo 57 Bus Reply with quote

NUTSFORBUSES wrote:
Love my Speedhut gauges.
Pros:

Cons:
Speedo is spendy.
Like that Fuel Gauge a lot. The speedo is nice also, but the lack of idiot lights kills that side of the deal for me. Both lights are important, and relocation for me is not optional after looking at this speedo since 1976. They should have incorporated this into the Bus upgrade
Thanks for showing Yours

I am getting the speedo with fuel gauge integrated, oil pressure and volts so this should cover me.
NUTSFORBUSES
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: ISP or Speedhut Speedo 57 Bus Reply with quote

Quote:
I am getting the speedo with fuel gauge integrated, oil pressure and volts so this should cover me.

So they do "Custom" gauges ?? I would still want the combo Fuel/Speed seperate gauges.
You are having the two Idiot lights installed into the speedo?
vwy2k
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: ISP or Speedhut Speedo 57 Bus Reply with quote

NUTSFORBUSES wrote:
Quote:

So they do "Custom" gauges ?? I would still want the combo Fuel/Speed seperate gauges.
You are having the two Idiot lights installed into the speedo?

I am getting separate gauges to make up for the missing Idiot lights. The don't do custom gauges I asked about that.
rwheezy12
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2022 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: ISP or Speedhut Speedo 57 Bus Reply with quote

dubman67 wrote:
vwy2k wrote:

Love my Speedhut gauges.
Pros:
You can program the fuel gauge for empty and full. I purposely ran my dc out of gas. Put 2 gallons in it and programed it for empty.
The Speedo is GPS. No inaccurate speed readings from different than stock tire diameters.
Trip meter, altimeter, compass, and max speed displayed.
Programable shift lift light
Cons:
Speedo is spendy.

Duman67, Im working on hooking mine up on a '59 SC and have everything working but turn indicators. Any secrets to getting them to work? Where the bus doesn't have a wire for left/right the plan was to tie the left/right from speedo together and then hookup to bus indicator wire, but no go.
Chip Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2022 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: ISP or Speedhut Speedo 57 Bus Reply with quote

The bus may not naturally provide a right and left, but it's not hard to add it. Just get rid of the old combined turn wire that went to the stock light, and run a wire from the spot that each front turn signal wire connects to the turn signal switch. Just add a t connection of sorts to each wire, with 1 side going to the turn light on the nose, and the other going to the turn light on the dash. That gets you a directional feed for you dash lights. Hopefully that makes sense.
rwheezy12
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: ISP or Speedhut Speedo 57 Bus Reply with quote

Chip wrote:
The bus may not naturally provide a right and left, but it's not hard to add it. Just get rid of the old combined turn wire that went to the stock light, and run a wire from the spot that each front turn signal wire connects to the turn signal switch. Just add a t connection of sorts to each wire, with 1 side going to the turn light on the nose, and the other going to the turn light on the dash. That gets you a directional feed for you dash lights. Hopefully that makes sense.

That does make sense, will need to give that a try! I appreciate the response.
Chuey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2023 5:17 pm    Post subject: Re: ISP or Speedhut Speedo 57 Bus Reply with quote

I am installing a Speedhut GPS speedometer and tach into my 66 camper. After having undone my orig speedo, I have hooked the ground into a ground terminal from the orig speedo. The gauge lighting is connected to the original gauge light spade connector.
My question is should I be connecting the main power wire to a source that comes on with the ignition (when I turn the key)? Which terminal should it be connected to?
I know this is probably elementary but electrics are far from intuitive for me. Thank you for any help.

Also, what is best practice with unused wires/connectors from the orig. speedo, etc? I would like to tidy it up under the dash, but don’t want to butcher it.

Chuey
dkemm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2023 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: ISP or Speedhut Speedo 57 Bus Reply with quote

Chuey wrote:
I am installing a Speedhut GPS speedometer and tach into my 66 camper. After having undone my orig speedo, I have hooked the ground into a ground terminal from the orig speedo. The gauge lighting is connected to the original gauge light spade connector.
My question is should I be connecting the main power wire to a source that comes on with the ignition (when I turn the key)? Which terminal should it be connected to?
I know this is probably elementary but electrics are far from intuitive for me. Thank you for any help.

Also, what is best practice with unused wires/connectors from the orig. speedo, etc? I would like to tidy it up under the dash, but don’t want to butcher it.

Chuey

you can easily trace back the unused wires to the fuse block and remove. As noted previously..you will need to use a individual turn signal wires to the new speedo. Light sockets would be the other unused items...you could trim those back as they are just 12v + from lights
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: