Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Vanagon 100% electric with Chevy Bolt drivetrain
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 22, 23, 24  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:35 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon 100% electric with Chevy Bolt drivetrain Reply with quote

First, if you're really good with a caulk gun, I don't think you should have to do any squishing, but I'm not. In fact, I'm terrible for some reason. So...

I found that using a screen installation tool like below to "squish" the seam sealer in did a much much much better job than my finger and produced a clean, professional looking line. 2 years later, still looks great, with no return of the rust I removed/treated.

https://www.amazon.com/Prime-Line-MP7503-Screen-Ro...KHB4V2P69Z
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 2:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon 100% electric with Chevy Bolt drivetrain Reply with quote

What door seams? Are you talking about the joint between the outer and inner door panel? I bought an '87 under the tourist delivery program and brought it back to Vermont. With no undercoating, after ten years, the car had to be junked as the rust was beyond repair. Even then there were no issues with the joint between the outer and inner door panels.
RainierSyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon 100% electric with Chevy Bolt drivetrain Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Tell everyone here you are taking the windows out to paint, even if you aren’t.

Thank me later

Good luck with that project!

Not letting this comment go by without a huge thumbs up! Laughing
remraf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon 100% electric with Chevy Bolt drivetrain Reply with quote

I'm in the process of doing my seams and body work right now. I am by no means an expert but am getting guidance from a seasoned body person. As far as seams go I'm doing the following:

I scraped all old seam sealer from seams

Glass beaded seams

Used a utility knife to probe and verify I couldn't produce any rust dust from seams

treated seams with ospho rust converter

cleaned seams again with a commercial grease and dust remover (can't remember name but it's for paint prep)

sprayed seams with etching primer

van is now getting close to having primer sprayed over etching primer

---couple of notes

If you find rust in seam look on the inside of seam. Often you'll find the rust started behind the seam and worked it's way out. Depending on how deep down the rabbit hole you want to go you may be looking at panel replacement. Luckily for me the only panel replacement was minor behind rear wheels.

The seams have been tedious but there is another syncro west at the shop where mine is. Can't say for sure but it appears to have a less and 4 year old paint job on it and every seam is bubbling with rust. The other paint work looks nice but I can't imagine spending that much money for that outcome.

Good luck! Amazing work you've done on the conversion. I'll keep my 2.1 chugging along with hopes what you're doing will be plug and play someday Very Happy
yabert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon 100% electric with Chevy Bolt drivetrain Reply with quote

5 entire and long days was needed to prepare the van for the primer. What a job it was!!!
Most of the job was to reach the bare metal. Welded repairs and potty was not so complex, but only because my quality standard for this paint job is low.
Plan is to finish the paint in fews days.

Here a interesting fact from this summer.
I had to take some concrete blocks and concrete bags at hardware.
In fact, it was 1300 lbs of conrete blocks on the 400 lbs trailer and 1000 lbs of concrete bags in the van. So around 7500 lbs total.
I was really happy and impressed by the manner the van was moving this around. Everything was fine and climbing a small hill wasn't a problem.
Of course, I didn't tried freeway for 100 km with this.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

charleslabri
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon 100% electric with Chevy Bolt drivetrain Reply with quote

DuncanS wrote:
What door seams? Are you talking about the joint between the outer and inner door panel? I bought an '87 under the tourist delivery program and brought it back to Vermont. With no undercoating, after ten years, the car had to be junked as the rust was beyond repair. Even then there were no issues with the joint between the outer and inner door panels.

when i had each door off there was sealer in the lips of the doors where the metal folded over on the door. My rear hatch seams were gone, and there had been a little bit of rust starting to develop where the hydraulic lifts attached
charleslabri
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon 100% electric with Chevy Bolt drivetrain Reply with quote

wow, nice. Glad the hitch held up!

yabert wrote:
5 entire and long days was needed to prepare the van for the primer. What a job it was!!!
Most of the job was to reach the bare metal. Welded repairs and potty was not so complex, but only because my quality standard for this paint job is low.
Plan is to finish the paint in fews days.

Here a interesting fact from this summer.
I had to take some concrete blocks and concrete bags at hardware.
In fact, it was 1300 lbs of conrete blocks on the 400 lbs trailer and 1000 lbs of concrete bags in the van. So around 7500 lbs total.
I was really happy and impressed by the manner the van was moving this around. Everything was fine and climbing a small hill wasn't a problem.
Of course, I didn't tried freeway for 100 km with this.
yabert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon 100% electric with Chevy Bolt drivetrain Reply with quote

Here is the van before/after.
Hard to believe there is 80% blue and 20% green in our paint mix, but it's like that.
We expected a result a bit more blue.
The paint is far from perfection as there is orange peel, flies in the paint, some paint drip, some body filler imperfection, etc.
Still, we are super happy because there is way less holes in this van, no more fuel filler and no more opening on driver side center panel because electricity is coming from inside the van (water too).
It look very well at 10 feets and more Laughing
Is there the same proverb in english than in french? It a kind of: ''Beautiful from far, far from be beautiful.

No, really it look good to us and we still like to drive it a lot.

vino de vano
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon 100% electric with Chevy Bolt drivetrain Reply with quote

that looks much nicer, cool color. I've been fallowing your thread and love your conversion. Has the ground clearance been a issue?
yabert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon 100% electric with Chevy Bolt drivetrain Reply with quote

vino de vano wrote:
Has the ground clearance been a issue?

Ground clearance (8'') isn't an issue anymore as I changed for stiffer front coil springs and bigger wheels/tires.
RoryGirl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon 100% electric with Chevy Bolt drivetrain Reply with quote

It really is a "Green Vehicle" now!
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2020 7:12 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon 100% electric with Chevy Bolt drivetrain Reply with quote

^ hah, indeed.

The fresh paint looks great, man! The bumpers and grills could use a bit of love too, now. It's pretty easy to scuff the grill and hit it with matte black paint, it makes a world of difference.
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2020 7:53 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon 100% electric with Chevy Bolt drivetrain Reply with quote

Way to go, Yan. The complete lack of gas filler is really going to confuse people!! Shocked Very Happy

And yes, "Beautiful from afar - but far from beautiful." Cool
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2020 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon 100% electric with Chevy Bolt drivetrain Reply with quote

surprised it wasn't re-purposed as a charging plug in
edbee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2020 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon 100% electric with Chevy Bolt drivetrain Reply with quote

Wow Yabert, congratulations on such an impressive job. I just discovered your build thread https://www.diyelectriccar.com/threads/westfalia-t3-with-chevy-bolt-drivetrain.198653/page-9

I admire your creative problem solving ability and many skill sets.

Thank you for sharing the process, it is an inspiration. One day I may be driving an electric vanagon...

thanks!
Ed

PS - any estimate on hours invested in the build.
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2020 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon 100% electric with Chevy Bolt drivetrain Reply with quote

Nice bump. I hadn't seen the repaint of this really neat van.

It seems a number of folks are working on e-conversions for Vanagons, at least two in Seattle alone.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
yabert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon 100% electric with Chevy Bolt drivetrain Reply with quote

As my Van start to move under electric power in june two years ago now, it time for a small update:

-It's still amazing how quick it start from the line, how easy it's to pass on the freeway or how easy it climb a hill. Thanks to the instant 270 lb-ft of torque and 200 hp!
-Still no mechanical problem since our return of 16 000 km roadtrip in 2019.
-Maintenance: Changed two tires and two front upper ball joint

That it. Really, there is no that much to say. We use this van as our only family vehicule and everything work well since more than 2 years now.
We regularly pull a trailler with 1000-1500 lbs of stuff inside (dirt, steel, sand) and I'm still amaze how well it drive.
It's an incredible van. The confort and wind noise are far from what it is in a new car, but except that, we like it a lot.

47 000 km done and counting. Oh! And of course we still continue to pay around 2$ in fuel (electricity) to travel 100 km Wink
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon 100% electric with Chevy Bolt drivetrain Reply with quote

Sounds great!

Viva la Spark!

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
rogertj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon 100% electric with Chevy Bolt drivetrain Reply with quote

Where was I when this was published! Heck im even looking in to buying a Bolt! Awesome contribution!
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VicVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 8:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon 100% electric with Chevy Bolt drivetrain Reply with quote

yabert wrote:
As my Van start to move under electric power in june two years ago now, it time for a small update:

-It's still amazing how quick it start from the line, how easy it's to pass on the freeway or how easy it climb a hill. Thanks to the instant 270 lb-ft of torque and 200 hp!
-Still no mechanical problem since our return of 16 000 km roadtrip in 2019.
-Maintenance: Changed two tires and two front upper ball joint

That it. Really, there is no that much to say. We use this van as our only family vehicule and everything work well since more than 2 years now.
We regularly pull a trailler with 1000-1500 lbs of stuff inside (dirt, steel, sand) and I'm still amaze how well it drive.
It's an incredible van. The confort and wind noise are far from what it is in a new car, but except that, we like it a lot.

47 000 km done and counting. Oh! And of course we still continue to pay around 2$ in fuel (electricity) to travel 100 km Wink

Hi and congrats!

What's the range one one charge usually?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 22, 23, 24  Next
Jump to:
Page 18 of 24

Jump to: