Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

36hp Destroke 64mm carnk
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:32 pm    Post subject: 36hp Destroke 64mm carnk Reply with quote

Ok folks what are you thoughts about destoking a 36hp 64mm crank to say 57mm or 61mm .....could I still use the 36hp rods or would I have to use shorter rods ??? Any thoughts ???
gimmesomeshelter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 36hp Destroke 64mm carnk Reply with quote

Why do you want a shorter stroke?

Cheers,

P-

Richard Feynman
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 36hp Destroke 64mm carnk Reply with quote

Just trying to see how i can keep a 1.1 performance engine ..and I wanna use okrasa/ww heads ...original 1.1 is 64x75 =1130cc if I were to go 61x77=1136cc or 60x78=1146cc or 57×80=1146cc all would be in the 1.1 class it would be easier to use the 77 and up pistons for the okrasa/ww heads but would have to destroke the crank ...i was/am just curious maybe bored in life lol
Mr. OGPaint
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 36hp Destroke 64mm carnk Reply with quote

A crankshaft shop such as DPR can easily do this for you. Stock rods should work. Cylinders will likely need to be machined to custom length to keep compression from being too low.

I replied to your earlier cylinder head question. Are you trying to fit into a racing class with a displacement limit?
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 36hp Destroke 64mm carnk Reply with quote

Mr. OGPaint wrote:
A crankshaft shop such as DPR can easily do this for you. Stock rods should work. Cylinders will likely need to be machined to custom length to keep compression from being too low.

I replied to your earlier cylinder head question. Are you trying to fit into a racing class with a displacement limit?

No ..no racing class just looking in doing different things and just curious about it and if things look good just gonna have it build ...i know if I destroke the stock 64mm crank and would be able to use bigger pistons to fit the ww/okrasa heads ....scat makes a 59mm crank for the the bigger vw 1600cc cases so I know if a 59mm crank works for that it would work for the 36hp case ...
WickedWagens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:35 am    Post subject: Re: 36hp Destroke 64mm carnk Reply with quote

Unless you are limited by racing rules, there would be not cost worthy reason to destroke a crank in a already small engine. It is already hard enough to get enough compression to get these to make any power. DPR could do it for you, but why spend money for less power?
G/CBGALT 134.606 MPH
G/CBFALT 146.715 MPH
G/CBGC 158.242 MPH
H/CPRO 93.383 MPH
H/CBGC 94.33 MPH
H/CBGALT 101.282 MPH
H/CBFALT 120.591 MPH
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
JeeWee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2019 2:32 am    Post subject: Re: 36hp Destroke 64mm carnk Reply with quote

there is a guy in germany running in the 1200 challenge with (if I am correct) 50mm crank so he can use large P+C so there is more room for larger valves (not so easy with 77mm bore)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2019 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 36hp Destroke 64mm carnk Reply with quote

JeeWee wrote:
there is a guy in germany running in the 1200 challenge with (if I am correct) 50mm crank so he can use large P+C so there is more room for larger valves (not so easy with 77mm bore)

Does anyone know the guy and is there a video of the engine running 🤔 I would love to see it running ..
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2019 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: 36hp Destroke 64mm carnk Reply with quote

For him to use a 50mm crank he would have to use a bore of 86mm or 87mm to Be a 1200cc I wonder what heads he's using if I recall okrasa/36hp heads would already be risky with 85mm ...unless he's using the 40hp/1600cc case than there's no problem
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 36hp Destroke 64mm carnk Reply with quote

Was looking around and went on dpr machine shop Facebook and seen them working on a 50.5 😯😮 crankshaft ...i tried posting the link here but it didn't allow me to ..but if you Google dpr 50.5 crank its Facebook will pop up in search/All and you guys can see them Machining it there's 2 videos....
bugguy1967
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 8:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 36hp Destroke 64mm carnk Reply with quote

I don’t frequent in the vintage speed area, but destroking also will make the crank stronger because there’s more journal overlap. You should use separate pushrods, shorter, custom rods, or rods from another kind of engine, and a reduced compression height on the pistons, instead of trying to keep it stock width. You’ll have trouble fitting tins and exhaust, but that stuff is minor.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: