Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What are new beetles so cheap?
Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
67 Sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:26 pm    Post subject: What are new beetles so cheap? Reply with quote

The “new” beetles I see popping up on Craigslist everywhere are sooo cheap.
What do I need to know? Looking for a newer one for my daughter and I just saw one for $1500 in excellent shape with 95,000 miles on it and a vert.
My friend told me that they made the impeller on the water pumps out of plastic and it was a MAJOR flaw. Many overheated and warped the heads.
Is this true? What should I be looking for in an ‘09-‘16 bug as far as engine wise?
Just trying to get a head start before buying.
Chris333
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:39 pm    Post subject: Re: What are new beetles so cheap? Reply with quote

I sold my 2000 new beetle for $1500 with 103000 miles on it. The water pump did go around 80000, but I replaced it.
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:42 pm    Post subject: Re: What are new beetles so cheap? Reply with quote

cuz no one wants em and everyone recognizes they were a marketing exercise. Just buy a Golf instead.
67 Sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:45 pm    Post subject: Re: What are new beetles so cheap? Reply with quote

I’m hoping maybe I can “score”? One that has had this issue for cheap to get for my daughter...
I would imagine they could get a lot more miles than 100k if I replace the water pump with a GOOD one and buy it some more time for my daughter.
Well I actually have twin daughters so they will be sharing it for a short period of time. (Not sure how that will go over-haha)
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:05 pm    Post subject: Re: What are new beetles so cheap? Reply with quote

I really liked the look of the 2nd generation New Beetle with the raked roof line.

But yes the New Beetle was just a different body on a Golf platform with a few minor tweaks.

If VW had been smart when they designed this they would have kept the engine in the rear for true nostalgia. But hey-- cost.

Apparetly that's not an issue with the new all-electric VW microbus van.

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:45 pm    Post subject: Re: What are new beetles so cheap? Reply with quote

Just grab their new electric dune buggy platform and throw a fiberglass beetle on top.
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Butcher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:39 am    Post subject: Re: What are new beetles so cheap? Reply with quote

I seriously would NOT recommend purchasing one. They are cheap to buy and expensive to keep running. The convertibles are worst.
volksworld
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:04 am    Post subject: Re: What are new beetles so cheap? Reply with quote

since the whole idea of the car is form over function the car is pretty miserable to service...rounding off the nose and hanging the huge windshield over the cowl really eliminated anywhere to put your hands in the engine compartment...not having real gauges to keep with the early bugs "speedo only" look doesnt help...the way the headlights mount is terrible...and i wouldnt exactly brag about the track record of the computer controlled "no dipstick" automatic trans in that generation of cars....afraid to find out how much a new top costs...but if you do buy one, immediately change the water pump and timing belt ....preferally with a german one with a metal impeller...even these only last 60,000 miles but at least they just leak without the impeller falling off....the 2.0 non turbo is the one that runs forever(give or take the water pump)...vr6's and 2.5 5 cyls put the timing chains on the transmission end of the engine so you have to pull the trans to change them ....which no one can afford to do so they just run them till they blow up or sell them when they start making noise...the turbo motors are overstressed and dont exactly last forever either
67 Sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:12 am    Post subject: Re: What are new beetles so cheap? Reply with quote

So there was truth to what my friend had told me about the impellers? That’s just plain poor design there. I can see cutting costs but with a PLASTIC impeller?
So maintenance is a pain (I have small hands) but for a used car for a young girl it’s not recommended?
I’m not looking for a true to nostalgia VW Beetle with engine in the back and whatnot. I had thought I could have my old (‘67) bug and they could have their newer bug...
volksworld
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: What are new beetles so cheap? Reply with quote

just kinda trying to explain why they're cheap....the same guy that would take the same year golf or jetta and lower it and put on some rims probably wouldnt be caught dead in a new beetle....so i think guys looking for a cheap car for their daughter are the only ones in the market for them...unfortunately if you've spent your whole life fixing an aircooled bug the cost and complexity of any late model used car is a whole other world...and in many cases they become throwaways because its cheaper to buy another one than do anything more extensive than brakes or a timing belt...broken belt? bent the valves? junk it...blown tranny? junk it...no a/c...bad abs...thrown a ton of parts at it and the check engine light's back on again...etc,etc....now my sons 00 jetta 2.0 automatic was bought out of a junkyard, he drove it for 9 years and had almost 300 thou on it when it got crashed last summer and the trans was original as well as the engine(4 water pumps and belts)....so they CAN be reliable, but they really suck when they break...especially if you're paying someone else to fix it

Last edited by volksworld on Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: What are new beetles so cheap? Reply with quote

volksworld wrote:
for their daughter are the only ones in the market for them.

^^^^^^^
This

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Derek Cobb
Annoying

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:45 am    Post subject: Re: What are new beetles so cheap? Reply with quote

I drive a 2001 Turbo Sport Beetle every day. Just a few maintenance items and it's just like any other car from that era.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67 Sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:36 am    Post subject: Re: What are new beetles so cheap? Reply with quote

What maintenance items have you done! Regular maintenance or things that have gone wrong?
I have experience with newer cars and I understand they are a different beast that the AC ones.
I have twin daughters and think it would be a decent used car for them to drive around until they get established.
Derek Cobb
Annoying

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:57 am    Post subject: Re: What are new beetles so cheap? Reply with quote

Replace the timing belt if you don't know for certain it's been done. The water pump can be upgraded to metal and various electronic sensors will go bad on occasion. Get a OBD2 reader and stay on top of the check engine light. Beyond that it's just brake jobs, struts, bushings and ball joint, just like any other car.

I got this one free as the timing belt broke and five valves were bent. I took it apart and replaced the bad valves, replaced the head gasket and bolts, water pump and engine mounts. Since then I've put thirty thousand miles on it without any real issues.

The 1.8T has plenty of power and it's really fun to drive.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: What are new beetles so cheap? Reply with quote

Mechanically, engine-wise, the NB is a solid car & is almost part for part interchangeable with like year Golfs/Jettas. The 1.8t is a great engine, if it got routine SYNTHETIC oil changes. The 2.0, was a dependable engine, just not much fun. The TDI is a great engine also. The VR6 did NOT come in the NB in the US market & the 5 cylinder was not available until '06.

VWs Achilles heel has always been their automatic transmissions, I do not suggest getting an automatic VW. The transmission will cost more than the car.

All of their engines tend to have hyper-sensitive check engine lights, which can bleed you dry, especially if you take it to someone that doesn't specialize in them & just throws parts at it.

The plastic interior crap is what really drives the prices down, it falls apart & is expensive to replace & most of it is now, or getting to be NLA through the dealer.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
didget69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:51 am    Post subject: Re: What are new beetles so cheap? Reply with quote

... but... cheap Baja Time?

http://www.vwliftkits.com/

Butch(er)-up the barbie cars!!

bryan
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 2:16 pm    Post subject: Re: What are new beetles so cheap? Reply with quote

The cheap ones are the trashed out crap that done has abused. I’ve got a2003 with the 1.8T convertible that is a riot to drive and has had one purge valve replaced, on synthetic oil.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: