Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

'84 MK1 GTI pricing thoughts?
Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
flemcadiddlehopper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:08 pm    Post subject: '84 MK1 GTI pricing thoughts? Reply with quote

Okay, so I'm not a regular in the water-cooled section of the Samba so those of you who don't know me, hello, and if you need to know more about where I come from...check out my build thread in the split bus section.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=493037

Now for the reason of this post.

My Son commented ,a few weeks back, on a FB vw group that we had a MK1 GTI sitting in our yard. Shortly after that I started receiving random calls regarding the GTI I have for sale. Now, I've had a split bus that sat in our yard for 16 years and I'm very used to random people asking if i'd sell it, but these people are 500kms away, not a drive by. I explained to everyone that I spoke to that it's not for sale.

Fats forward to yesterday. I found a 1968 type 3 square back with 35000 original miles for sale through a family friend who knew I liked old VWs. So, with my current project and keeping daily drivers alive, money is mostly already claimed before it's earned. But if I sell the GTI to pay for the Square back the balances don't tip.

So my question would be, what's it worth?

1984 mk1, very minor rust, grey patina, interior 4/10, no headliner, lowered on H&R with Kona inserts, stiff adjustable sway bars f&r, 2 sets of 14" snowflakes, eurotech exhaust and a few spare parts thrown in.

Not looking for offers at this point, just advice. Then I'll place an ad locally first. Thanks for any help, as there are none in auto trader and most of the car classified apps start at 2001...not helpful.

Gordo.

Retrograde Garage. Vintage Aircooled, and others.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 4:01 am    Post subject: Re: '84 MK1 GTI pricing thoughts? Reply with quote

How long has it sat?
Does it run?
Why did you park it?
How much is the Squareback?

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
flemcadiddlehopper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 6:39 am    Post subject: Re: '84 MK1 GTI pricing thoughts? Reply with quote

It has sat for 18 months. I parked it because I wanted to fix a nagging exhaust manifold leak. I work at a subaru dealership as a Tech and from time to time vehicles come available that need very little work to make them a daily driver and I ended up with a 2000 Forester. So, the GTI sat.
My plan was to finish the '67 Bus then do the GTI as a complete project, just haven't finished the bus.
The GTI starts, runs and drives.

The square back price is not part of the question, lets just say it's a price that I am happy with.

I'm looking for ballpark pricing. The only one I found that was near what mine is is being sold in the UK for 3,000 pounds. ($4,800 can). I just don't want to ask for too little, because you can't ask for more as the dealing starts.

Gordo.

TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 7:27 am    Post subject: Re: '84 MK1 GTI pricing thoughts? Reply with quote

Without at least seeing the car, it's hard to tell. It also depends on how quickly you want to move it, you MIGHT be able to get $8,500 if you are willing to sit on it for another year & a half. If you want to move it quickly, then $2,000-$3,000.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
kpf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: '84 MK1 GTI pricing thoughts? Reply with quote

I suppose it varies greatly based on location. In Southern California, they come up quite often on Craigslist and unless they are showroom stock, low mileage survivors, they don't seem to sell. Amazing examples sit forever with prices around 6 or 7k, average or ratty ones sit forever even at 1,500. Sad

Edit: Here's one in the Samba classifieds, in Vermont, $2,100:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2276698
flemcadiddlehopper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: '84 MK1 GTI pricing thoughts? Reply with quote

Okay that helps me out a bit. Complete stock,unmolested, 8/10 interior cars are going for $12,000- $16,000 here in B.C....that's Canadian funds, so $5 US.

I think you're right though, if I have time the price will come, hurry and it won't. Just have to find that guy that wants to put a 1.8T in a 1600lb car and become a Youtube sensation.

Gordo.

dubsteez79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: '84 MK1 GTI pricing thoughts? Reply with quote

Yours would more than likely only bring 2k to the right buyer. Im surprised it still runs and drives after sitting. CIS lambda is finicky about sitting. I would bet the whole fuel system would need to be gone through to make it right. And that gets expensive. I gave about 500 for my 84 GTI(trade value) with no rust, missing front driver seat, non runner(bc of fuel system) but with a fresh rebuild on the original engine. I wouldnt expect to get more than 4 or 5k out of mine and I can drive it comfortably anywhere. Pics of it below.
before
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

after/now
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

dubsteez79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: '84 MK1 GTI pricing thoughts? Reply with quote

Also, my car hasnt been repainted. I just buffed it a lot. My interior is probably 6.5/10 because the seats need to be recovered. You will have a tough time finding the correct material for the GTI seats too. I bought the last red, NOS material that a guy on vwvortex had. But there may be some more floating around.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: