Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fuel Gauge improper reading only with engine running
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ajshns
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:36 pm    Post subject: Fuel Gauge improper reading only with engine running Reply with quote

I'm working on a 67 bus. Its 12v and has a new fuel gauge and sender. With the key on engine off the gauge reads properly all the time. When the engine is started the gauge will flop all over from empty to whatever the fuel level is and anywhere in between. Ive checked voltage, ground and ran a new wire from the sender to the gauge. I also took the gauge and sender out and ran wires to battery + battery - and the sender and the gauge still does the same thing. Here's the weird part... I took that set up with the sender to another car and the gauge works perfectly engine off and engine running. So.....something in this bus is feeding into the fuel gauge circuit and causing the gauge to flop. I did disconnect the alternator and its the sane result so its not electrical feedback from that. Maybe ignition? It has an empi electronic distributor with a bosch blue coil.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel Gauge improper reading only with engine running Reply with quote

Make sure the bracket that holds the gauge is digging into the metal of the dash as that is its ground. Make sure the sender is grounded to the body. Make sure you don't have the internal light wire and the power wire mixed up.
ajshns
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel Gauge improper reading only with engine running Reply with quote

BarryL wrote:
Make sure the bracket that holds the gauge is digging into the metal of the dash as that is its ground. Make sure the sender is grounded to the body. Make sure you don't have the internal light wire and the power wire mixed up.

The gauge has a ground terminal on it that is grounded to the dash shelf mounting bolt. The sender is grounded to the body and I have run jumper wires from both gauge and sender to the ground strap on the battery. I have also ran jumper cables from the battery - to the engine block so I know grounds are good.
ToolBox
Samba Member

Location: Detroit, where they don't jack parts off my ride in the parking lot of the 7-11

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel Gauge improper reading only with engine running Reply with quote

Check the charging system. Could be a faulty regulator causing spikes.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ajshns
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel Gauge improper reading only with engine running Reply with quote

ToolBox wrote:

It has an internally regulated alternator and it does the same thing with the alt hooked up and disconnected. I've checked voltage at the gauge and it stays steady while the gauge is freaking out. Also today I swapped out the empi electronic distributor and put in an old points distributor and still same thing on the gauge.
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel Gauge improper reading only with engine running Reply with quote

ajshns wrote:
The gauge has a ground terminal on it that is grounded to the dash shelf mounting bolt.

Aftermarket gauge?
ajshns
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:23 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel Gauge improper reading only with engine running Reply with quote

BarryL wrote:
ajshns wrote:
The gauge has a ground terminal on it that is grounded to the dash shelf mounting bolt.

Aftermarket gauge?

Yes
Bruce Amacker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:39 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel Gauge improper reading only with engine running Reply with quote

ajshns wrote:
ToolBox wrote:

It has an internally regulated alternator and it does the same thing with the alt hooked up and disconnected. I've checked voltage at the gauge and it stays steady while the gauge is freaking out. Also today I swapped out the empi electronic distributor and put in an old points distributor and still same thing on the gauge.

TB is right- did you disconnect ALL of the alt wires? I've seen some where the alt still charges with the small wires disconnected. Spikes would not show up on a DVOM, only on a scope. I've seen several defective alternators cause really weird problems in late model vehicles but still keep the battery up.
'66- http://www.leakoil.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=2888&sid=54d8dedfb3822f99c7f2ea430cb4e856
'65- http://leakoil.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4263
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ajshns
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel Gauge improper reading only with engine running Reply with quote

Bruce Amacker wrote:
ajshns wrote:
ToolBox wrote:

TB is right- did you disconnect ALL of the alt wires? I've seen some where the alt still charges with the small wires disconnected. Spikes would not show up on a DVOM, only on a scope. I've seen several defective alternators cause really weird problems in late model vehicles but still keep the battery up.

Yes all wires and even ran it without the belt so the alt was not spinning at all. Still same.
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel Gauge improper reading only with engine running Reply with quote

Too late to post pictures of the sender and front and back of gauge? It is a weirdass phenomenon you got going on there.
western auto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel Gauge improper reading only with engine running Reply with quote

solid core plug wires arcing to any electrical wires?
ajshns
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel Gauge improper reading only with engine running Reply with quote

BarryL wrote:
Too late to post pictures of the sender and front and back of gauge? It is a weirdass phenomenon you got going on there.

I can in the morning when I get to the shop.
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel Gauge improper reading only with engine running Reply with quote

western auto wrote:
solid core plug wires arcing to any electrical wires?

Completely valid theory. ^^^^. It would be interesting to unplug the points wire and crank it and see if the gauge flip-flops. Also what if the coil or distributor were shorting and stealing the voltage in the system which made the gauge respond.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: