Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

'59 Karmann Ghia fever
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 87, 88, 89 ... 356, 357, 358  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: '59 Karmann Ghia fever Reply with quote

I wouldn’t worry about the dent in the tube either unless the push rod is rubbing up against it or it’s leaking. That’s easy to tell by pulling the rod out and looking for wear after you’ve driven in a while.
Those tubes are the same as on a Porsche 356 and they sell spring loaded replacements where you simply drop the heater box, pull the rocker, pull out the pushrod, use pliers to twist the only one out and then pop in the new one. You don’t have to pull the head off, that’s crazy talk.
He’s probably showing off the old school pressure plate which some feel is superior to the newer types.
You need to drive it and see what’s wrong, if anything, before you start worrying about anything mechanical.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
1973 Ghia convertible
Trylon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: '59 Karmann Ghia fever Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
No!!!

Do NOT use several extensions pieced together to make it long enough!!!!

Once you have pushed the extension through, the force needed to pull it back out will probably be more than the friction fit of the connection between the extensions. You’ll end up having to remove & disassemble the engine because you can’t get the extension/s out.

Also, do not pry up as you are likely to deform the part of the tube you are prying down on.

Grease & flash rust on the back of the pressure isn’t going to affect the function of the pressure plate. LITFA, don’t allow everyone to cause you obsess over stupid shit, ain’t no one gonna see it.

When I replaced the trans in the Ghiapet, the throw out fork on the new trans required a different release bearing which in turn required a different pressure plate. I grabbed one out of the scrap pile, knocked the rust off the friction surface by placing it face down on the concrete & dragged it on the floor in circular motions.

I kinda like the dowel idea. Gotta look at some pictures to see what I’m dealing with to get a sense of the length and diameter.

I don’t know where you get the idea that I am obsessing over this stuff. Haven’t you been keeping up with the assigned reading? I am enjoying learning all the ins and the outs of the car and attempting to work on it.
1973 Volkswagen Bus
1970 MGB-GT
1962 Oldsmobile Jetfire

More tomfoolery on
The Karmann Ghia Fever YouTube Channel!
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: '59 Karmann Ghia fever Reply with quote

KGCoupe wrote:

Isn't that procedure described on page 420 of the Bentley Karmann Ghia repair manual?

... or was that page 420 of the "Idiot" manual?

Wink

Hey - Whatever it takes to "git 'er done", right? Very Happy

UHHH... Dude... Too much 420.. What were we talking about?

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Trylon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: '59 Karmann Ghia fever Reply with quote

Braukuche wrote:
I wouldn’t worry about the dent in the tube either unless the push rod is rubbing up against it or it’s leaking. That’s easy to tell by pulling the rod out and looking for wear after you’ve driven in a while.
Those tubes are the same as on a Porsche 356 and they sell spring loaded replacements where you simply drop the heater box, pull the rocker, pull out the pushrod, use pliers to twist the only one out and then pop in the new one. You don’t have to pull the head off, that’s crazy talk.
He’s probably showing off the old school pressure plate which some feel is superior to the newer types.
You need to drive it and see what’s wrong, if anything, before you start worrying about anything mechanical.

Jeez, I got the whole gamut on this one, didn’t I? I kinda like BK’s get it on the road and see if its broke. Especially the “get it on the road” part.

Ah, didn’t know there is an old school / new school pressure plate thang.
1973 Volkswagen Bus
1970 MGB-GT
1962 Oldsmobile Jetfire

More tomfoolery on
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: '59 Karmann Ghia fever Reply with quote

Trylon wrote:

I don’t know where you get the idea that I am obsessing over this stuff. Haven’t you been keeping up with the assigned reading? I am enjoying learning all the ins and the outs of the car and attempting to work on it.

Just sayin. All of the flaws that are constantly being pointed out seem to be getting attention or replaced. I'd just hate to see you double your money in this thing & not get to drive it due to every other thing that gets pointed out.

As far as the mechanical shit goes, it's really simple, don't overthink it but you gotta think it through. Every action has an equal & opposite reaction (Prying up to fix a dent on the other end of the tube, what are you prying against, if you pry too much, have you just bent the whole tube?)

You also need to start & COMPLETE each sub system or you will end up with a shell & boxes of parts that someone (maybe even yourself) will eventually give to scrap or sell dirt cheap to get it out of their way.

There are many that obsess about all of the stupid shit, like flash rust on a pressure plate & someone pointing it out to them will cause them to pull even more of the car apart to replace a perfectly good part, that in certain environments, will look just like the old one in a matter of days.

You would not believe how bent out of shape people can get when they see just what is necessary to do a job on a car, their personal pride & joy, especially when, for instance, you bring out the BFH to separate a ball joint. Thus the reason most shops don't let customers watch while the car is being worked on.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Trylon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: '59 Karmann Ghia fever Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
Trylon wrote:

Just sayin. All of the flaws that are constantly being pointed out seem to be getting attention or replaced. I'd just hate to see you double your money in this thing & not get to drive it due to every other thing that gets pointed out.

As far as the mechanical shit goes, it's really simple, don't overthink it but you gotta think it through. Every action has an equal & opposite reaction (Prying up to fix a dent on the other end of the tube, what are you prying against, if you pry too much, have you just bent the whole tube?)

You also need to start & COMPLETE each sub system or you will end up with a shell & boxes of parts that someone (maybe even yourself) will eventually give to scrap or sell dirt cheap to get it out of their way.

There are many that obsess about all of the stupid shit, like flash rust on a pressure plate & someone pointing it out to them will cause them to pull even more of the car apart to replace a perfectly good part, that in certain environments, will look just like the old one in a matter of days.

You would not believe how bent out of shape people can get when they see just what is necessary to do a job on a car, their personal pride & joy, especially when, for instance, you bring out the BFH to separate a ball joint. Thus the reason most shops don't let customers watch while the car is being worked on.

Yeah, I know you are coming from another perspective here— experience! I appreciate your concern. That said,barring my hands falling off, Imagonna do this thing!
1973 Volkswagen Bus
1970 MGB-GT
1962 Oldsmobile Jetfire

More tomfoolery on
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 2:16 pm    Post subject: Re: '59 Karmann Ghia fever Reply with quote

Those spring loaded push rod tubes SUCK. They're much more likely to leak & the ID on the smaller end tends to rub on the push rod. Then there were the craptastic plastic ones that would warp & sag due to the heat coming off those funny looking finned thing right above them. Rolling Eyes

Trylon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: '59 Karmann Ghia fever Reply with quote

Day 66

Weather cooperating as predicted!

Went to visit the TTS. Not sure how it gets dirty sitting in storage, but it does. Starting up like a champ. Got a feeling its carburetor is fine...or does it even have one?

Brought all the stuff I have been accumulating out to the barn. Running low on space on my side. Gonna have to clear out the other side soon. Brought the wheel outside and sprayed glossy clear over everything else I’ve sprayed on it. Seems to be coming out satin. Oh well, let’s call it primed for Silver Beige whenever somebody comes up with that around here.

Etched my brake drums:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

And put the first coat of Masterseries on:

Think it’s going to look nice. Notice the neatly drilled hole?

Will do two more coats tomorrow and put the drums on the next day!.

Will start painting the next wheel tomorrow as well.

I am literally dreaming about our car. As I sat in it, I looked up and saw that it had a ratty, dark green headliner. Yikes! I ordered a new one from Kev but he wasn’t responsive—doesn’t seem to take dream orders.
1973 Volkswagen Bus
1970 MGB-GT
1962 Oldsmobile Jetfire

More tomfoolery on
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: '59 Karmann Ghia fever Reply with quote

Trylon wrote:
Day 66

That's a great looking hole! Laughing
Nice job.

Trylon wrote:

I am literally dreaming about our car. As I sat in it, I looked up and saw that it had a ratty, dark green headliner. Yikes! I ordered a new one from Kev but he wasn’t responsive—doesn’t seem to take dream orders.

Can't wait to see your new interior. Although I do like what you have now. The worst thing they did was to modernize the interiors. I love the old style panels and the colors.

Are you going to tackle the headliner replacement yourself?

Previously Owned:
2011 VW EOS Hard Top Conv
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

68 Ghia Vert Survivor with 22,350 miles: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=768107&highlight=
71 Ghia Vert Restoration: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=726710&postorder=asc
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 4:59 pm    Post subject: Re: '59 Karmann Ghia fever Reply with quote

Marcdeb wrote:

Can't wait to see your new interior. Although I do like what you have now.

I agree-------but then I know nothing about old Karmann Ghias with the low-nose.
Trylon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 5:30 pm    Post subject: Re: '59 Karmann Ghia fever Reply with quote

Marcdeb wrote:
Trylon wrote:
Day 66

That's a great looking hole! Laughing
Nice job.

Trylon wrote:

Can't wait to see your new interior. Although I do like what you have now. The worst thing they did was to modernize the interiors. I love the old style panels and the colors.

Are you going to tackle the headliner replacement yourself?

It was a dream, Marc. It’s biege. It’s not bad, but after that dream I am gonna talk with Kev about it.

I think the interior will be an improvement. Wouldn’t have considered it if this was at all original but as we have learned it has been pieced together from a variety of years and sources. This clearly moves away from a illusory survivor to a illusory factory fresh car.

I still think I have $$$’s to go before it’s worth what I paid.
1973 Volkswagen Bus
1970 MGB-GT
1962 Oldsmobile Jetfire

More tomfoolery on

Last edited by Trylon on Sun Feb 23, 2020 5:06 am; edited 1 time in total
Trylon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: '59 Karmann Ghia fever Reply with quote

iowegian wrote:
Marcdeb wrote:

I agree-------but then I know nothing about old Karmann Ghias with the low-nose.

The only thing low nose about this interior seems to be Luis’ mats.

Hey, for all those lamenting the loss, the seats and panels will soon be up for sale!

John, this isn’t an advertisement, it is a fun fact!
1973 Volkswagen Bus
1970 MGB-GT
1962 Oldsmobile Jetfire

More tomfoolery on
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: '59 Karmann Ghia fever Reply with quote

Trylon wrote:
iowegian wrote:
Marcdeb wrote:

Hey, for all those lamenting the loss, the seats and panels will soon be up for sale!

Your seats look blue and white. Your door panels look black and white. Is that just lighting or ??

Just thinking how nice your door panels would look with my "62" dash. Very Happy Then remembered I have "71" door handles. Confused That's not going to work.

Previously Owned:
2011 VW EOS Hard Top Conv
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

68 Ghia Vert Survivor with 22,350 miles: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=768107&highlight=
71 Ghia Vert Restoration: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=726710&postorder=asc
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Trylon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: '59 Karmann Ghia fever Reply with quote

Marcdeb wrote:
Trylon wrote:
iowegian wrote:
Marcdeb wrote:

Your seats look blue and white. Your door panels look black and white. Is that just lighting or ??

Just thinking how nice your door panels would look with my "62" dash. Very Happy Then remembered I have "71" door handles. Confused That's not going to work.

Yes, they do not seem to match. Believe it or not, off the top of my head I couldn’t tell you what color the interior bits are. Just not that invested in them. Will look tomorrow.
1973 Volkswagen Bus
1970 MGB-GT
1962 Oldsmobile Jetfire

More tomfoolery on
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: '59 Karmann Ghia fever Reply with quote

Are you buying complete seats or just covers & padding?

Trylon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: '59 Karmann Ghia fever Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
Are you buying complete seats or just covers & padding?

Kev has ‘59 seats that I am buying. Recovering the rear frames I have (I think but still need to see how the frames themselves look). I believe that he told me that the front seats I have now are 1960 or later.
1973 Volkswagen Bus
1970 MGB-GT
1962 Oldsmobile Jetfire

More tomfoolery on
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 8:10 pm    Post subject: Re: '59 Karmann Ghia fever Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
Those spring loaded push rod tubes SUCK. They're much more likely to leak & the ID on the smaller end tends to rub on the push rod. Then there were the craptastic plastic ones that would warp & sag due to the heat coming off those funny looking finned thing right above them. Rolling Eyes

The Porsche ones are not anything remotely like the cheap ass EMPI ones for 40hp or 1600.
For one thing they wouldn’t fit, 36hp and 356 ones are smaller diameter. But they are constructed differently.
But my guess is he has nothing to worry about and I agree with you 100 percent, some people like worrying about their cars more than they like driving them.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
1973 Ghia convertible
KGCoupe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2020 8:28 am    Post subject: Re: '59 Karmann Ghia fever Reply with quote

Trylon wrote:
Brought all the stuff I have been accumulating out to the barn. Running low on space on my side. Gonna have to clear out the other side soon. Brought the wheel outside and sprayed glossy clear over everything else I’ve sprayed on it. Seems to be coming out satin. Oh well, let’s call it primed for Silver Beige whenever somebody comes up with that around here.

I'm guessing that your glossy clear coat is looking more satin because you sprayed it directly over primer vs. over "paint".

The primer has an intentionally rough surface so that any "paint" sprayed over it would be better able to grip and hold.

I'll further guess that the rough surface of the primer doesn't show through after "paint" has been sprayed over it because "paint" it is relatively thick.
However, that clear coat is likely much thinner than "paint" and therefore allows the rough surface of the primer below to show through making your glossy clear look more satin.

Perhaps if you tried spraying additional light coats of the clear it will eventually build up enough to smooth out the roughness and attain a finish closer to glossy.

Yeah - that's basically all guess work on my part, though, so take it for what it's worth. Smile

If you really wanted to obsess over attaining a more glossy appearance, you could probably even use an ultra fine grade of sandpaper to wet sand the wheels after you spray additional coats of clear.
Perhaps maybe even just an application of a good polishing compound would be enough to bring out a more glossy appearance.

I'm certain there are others here that actually know if anything I've said here is remotely accurate, but you probably lost their interest when you decided to spray the clear directly over the primer despite their advice to do otherwise.
KGCoupe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2020 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: '59 Karmann Ghia fever Reply with quote

Trylon wrote:
Robot day

Rather than regale you with tales of ROS and TIAGo, I will inform you of my communication with Kevin Ferguson.

As one of my goals seems to be to actually make our car worth what I paid for it, I have decided to install a period correct interior. More to the point, I am undertaking this so Braukuche will feel comfortable sitting in our car.

Kevin has graciously agreed to create this interior for us. And with his care and attention, I think I might even coax my wife to sit in our car. Although she has yet to learn that there are no seat belts or airbags so it is not clear that she will ever actually ride in it.

Now, let’s play “How many ways can Trylon screw this up?”

So if I'm reading the Paint & Upholstery information correctly for a Dec 1958 build Karmann Ghia, then the "correct" interior for a Cardinal Red coupe would be beige vinyl with red fabric inserts as shown in this reference photo linked to in the Paint & Upholstery tables, ...

That would be a nice improvement over the beige and blue/black interior that you currently have, IMO.

Is that the color scheme you've decided to go with, or will you customize and choose another color that may be more appealing to you?
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2020 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: '59 Karmann Ghia fever Reply with quote

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 87, 88, 89 ... 356, 357, 358  Next
Jump to:
Page 88 of 358

Jump to: