Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

'59 Karmann Ghia fever
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 113, 114, 115 ... 356, 357, 358  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
moogie32
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: '59 Karmann Ghia fever Reply with quote

Trylon wrote:
Went to loosen the front lugs...and that’s where the day ended. Blaster, tapping, tugging, pleading, none of it seemed to matter. Ordered an impact wrench.

I've had success by using a breaker bar with a long pipe fitted over the body of it to extend it out and provide more torque
Doch leider musst du von uns gehn
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Trylon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: '59 Karmann Ghia fever Reply with quote

moogie32 wrote:
Trylon wrote:
Went to loosen the front lugs...and that’s where the day ended. Blaster, tapping, tugging, pleading, none of it seemed to matter. Ordered an impact wrench.

I've had success by using a breaker bar with a long pipe fitted over the body of it to extend it out and provide more torque

Seems to be the Muir method. Since I don’t have a breaker bar, had to decide which route I wanted to go.

Wish me luck!
1973 Volkswagen Bus
1970 MGB-GT
1962 Oldsmobile Jetfire

More tomfoolery on
The Karmann Ghia Fever YouTube Channel!
KGCoupe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 3:04 pm    Post subject: Re: '59 Karmann Ghia fever Reply with quote

Trylon wrote:
moogie32 wrote:
Trylon wrote:

Seems to be the Muir method. Since I don’t have a breaker bar, had to decide which route I wanted to go.

Wish me luck!

I too have always used a breaker bar to loosen/tighten lug bolts.
Typically I can free them with just the 24" breaker bar, but at times I've had to resort to slipping a length of pipe over the breaker bar to amplify my leverage.

Of course, the increased leverage then exerts increased pressure on the socket and that becomes the weak link if it's just a "regular" socket.
(Yeah, I've cracked and ruined a couple regular sockets that way. Embarassed)

Moral of The Story - Whether you use an extended breaker bar or an impact driver, you'll probably want to use an impact socket that's meant to handle the extra torque.
Trylon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: '59 Karmann Ghia fever Reply with quote

KGCoupe wrote:
Trylon wrote:
moogie32 wrote:
Trylon wrote:

Wish me luck!

I too have always used a breaker bar to loosen/tighten lug bolts.
Typically I can free them with just the 24" breaker bar, but at times I've had to resort to slipping a length of pipe over the breaker bar to amplify my leverage.

Of course, the increased leverage then exerts increased pressure on the socket and that becomes the weak link if it's just a "regular" socket.
(Yeah, I've cracked and ruined a couple regular sockets that way. Embarassed)

Moral of The Story - Whether you use an extended breaker bar or an impact driver, you'll probably want to use an impact socket that's meant to handle the extra torque.

Thanks KG! They are coming with the driver!
1973 Volkswagen Bus
1970 MGB-GT
1962 Oldsmobile Jetfire

More tomfoolery on
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: '59 Karmann Ghia fever Reply with quote

Impact wrenches are great tools but keep in mind, they don't always accomplish the task at hand.
Sometimes an arsenal of tools is required to break a stubborn bolt loose.

An impact is great for shock value.
Try to loosen it, let it rattle the fastener a bit, reverse the direction to actually tighten it, let it rattle a bit.
Reverse direction to loosen, let it rattle.... back and forth you go. Tight loose tight loose tight loose.

If it is really tight, once it begins to move switch to hand tools so you can "feel" the fastener as it comes.
Heat will build up quickly on tight fasteners. Let it cool down, apply penetrating oils and run it in tight again, let it sit.
After awhile try loosening it until it gets tight. Apply oils and tighten, loosen tighten, work it back and forth but do so gently.
You will actually feel it loosen and begin to come.

Be careful, all the way out. They often tighten up again right at the end.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Trylon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 4:59 pm    Post subject: Re: '59 Karmann Ghia fever Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
Impact wrenches are great tools but keep in mind, they don't always accomplish the task at hand.
Sometimes an arsenal of tools is required to break a stubborn bolt loose.

An impact is great for shock value.
Try to loosen it, let it rattle the fastener a bit, reverse the direction to actually tighten it, let it rattle a bit.
Reverse direction to loosen, let it rattle.... back and forth you go. Tight loose tight loose tight loose.

If it is really tight, once it begins to move switch to hand tools so you can "feel" the fastener as it comes.
Heat will build up quickly on tight fasteners. Let it cool down, apply penetrating oils and run it in tight again, let it sit.
After awhile try loosening it until it gets tight. Apply oils and tighten, loosen tighten, work it back and forth but do so gently.
You will actually feel it loosen and begin to come.

Be careful, all the way out. They often tighten up again right at the end.

Dave

As you might imagine, I know none of this— thanks for enlightening me!
1973 Volkswagen Bus
1970 MGB-GT
1962 Oldsmobile Jetfire

More tomfoolery on
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:45 pm    Post subject: Re: '59 Karmann Ghia fever Reply with quote

For leverage, does your hydraulic jack's handle fit over an existing tool? IMO most handles are made of strong, hollow pipe and can be removed from the jack with one or two bolts.

What you are now finding is one of the tips I often list for people about to make a long trip with a new classic VW. Many tire stores use way too high of a torque to set the rims back on after mounting new tires. As a result, the new owner can't budge the lug bolts off. If a flat tire occurs on the trip and the tools in the car don't get the bolts loose, that's one huge impediment for getting on your way. So while still at home, break loose every single lug bolt one at a time. Don't even need to remove the bolts for this trial. Then tighten to a closer spec using your body weight as estimated leverage length out on the lug wrench.

Your front wheels have a lot of movement. My guess is incorrectly adjusted/way loose king or link pins.
lonotch
Samba Padrino

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:56 pm    Post subject: Re: '59 Karmann Ghia fever Reply with quote

It seems to me rust shouldn’t be much of a issue like a car that’s been sitting for a long time, sounds like it’s been over tighten?

German Folks
Trylon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:58 pm    Post subject: Re: '59 Karmann Ghia fever Reply with quote

lonotch wrote:
It seems to me rust shouldn’t be much of a issue like a car that’s been sitting for a long time, sounds like it’s been over tighten?

I too was surprised. Again.
1973 Volkswagen Bus
1970 MGB-GT
1962 Oldsmobile Jetfire

More tomfoolery on
Vladiiiii
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:24 pm    Post subject: Re: '59 Karmann Ghia fever Reply with quote

I sometimes have the problem that, because the front is so light, the front wheels turn while I am trying to break loose the lug bolts Shocked Very Happy So sometimes I need to chalk them. (Depends on how full the gas tank is, too).

The bearing play can be adjusted very easily, you may want to check some Youtube videos on that. There's a good one from a guy with an orange bug (but I can't find it right now), so you may want to try to tighten them, before tearing into something Wink Be careful, the thread on one side (drivers' side?) is reversed. But quite an easy job.

Edit: Found it, it's this one :
(It shows changing them as well, but you get the picture of how all is put together.)

Link

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9237746#9237746
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:53 am    Post subject: Re: '59 Karmann Ghia fever Reply with quote

Vladiiiii wrote:
I sometimes have the problem that, because the front is so light, the front wheels turn while I am trying to break loose the lug bolts Shocked ]

Shocked Is right. They’re only supposed to be torqued to 70-90ftlbs. If the wheels turn while you’re trying to break them loose, they’re WAaaay overtorqued.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Vladiiiii
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:57 am    Post subject: Re: '59 Karmann Ghia fever Reply with quote

If it's dry, my garage floor is quite slick. If it's wet, it's like ice Embarassed I may need to paint at least 2 trails (where the wheels go) with some abrasive stuff.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 4:24 am    Post subject: Re: '59 Karmann Ghia fever Reply with quote

Vladiiiii wrote:
If it's dry, my garage floor is quite slick. If it's wet, it's like ice Embarassed I may need to paint at least 2 trails (where the wheels go) with some abrasive stuff.

Sounds dangerous!
On a Winter day after the ice has melted off you must need to wear ice spikes?

To me it seems like a serious accident waiting to happen. I'd for sure look for a "grippy" solution for the entire floor.

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
Vladiiiii
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 4:39 am    Post subject: Re: '59 Karmann Ghia fever Reply with quote

To be honest, I'm postponing this to until the Ghia is finished. And the garage is barely large enough for it anyway, so it will never carry snow inside. It's kinda hard to get into with our more "modern" cars, so it is kept for the Ghia and some tools.

But the idea is here, nontheless. It was so wierd when trying to loosen the bolts (they weren't on too tight), the wheel started turning and squeaking on the floor Shocked Very Happy. My wife held the brake and loose they came. Anyway, back to topic.....

PS: Munich only got 1 or 2 days of snow this whole winter…. Crying or Very sad
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 5:56 am    Post subject: Re: '59 Karmann Ghia fever Reply with quote

I carry one of these under the rear seat...an extending lug nut wrench. Never had a problem: https://www.amazon.com/EPAuto-Telescoping-Wrench-W...amp;sr=8-1
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 6:09 am    Post subject: Re: '59 Karmann Ghia fever Reply with quote

John Moxon wrote:
I carry one of these under the rear seat...an extending lug nut wrench. Never had a problem: https://www.amazon.com/EPAuto-Telescoping-Wrench-W...amp;sr=8-1

Under the rear seat?!?

Theres no space under there what with the extra cylinder head, the piston and jug, crank bearings, gasket set, jack, tools........

I've driven VW's since the 60's, never fully expected to arrive anywhere incident free.
But I traveled prepared.

My Vanagon had a similar travel parts inventory. I rarely needed any part I had on board when trouble did come knocking but it was comforting to have them.

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
Trylon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 6:44 am    Post subject: Re: '59 Karmann Ghia fever Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:

I've driven VW's since the 60's, never fully expected to arrive anywhere incident free.

May I humbly suggest that this pithy information be imparted to each and every new forum member who begins a thread in the vein of “Thinking about succumbing...”

Thank you for your attention to this matter.

The Management
1973 Volkswagen Bus
1970 MGB-GT
1962 Oldsmobile Jetfire

More tomfoolery on
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 6:56 am    Post subject: Re: '59 Karmann Ghia fever Reply with quote

Trylon wrote:
djkeev wrote:

May I humbly suggest that this pithy information be imparted to each and every new forum member who begins a thread in the vein of “Thinking about succumbing...”

The Management

Umm... My car is easily the most driven & abused car in the Ghia forums & I have no problem taking it anywhere I want (literally.) without fear of it breaking down.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: '59 Karmann Ghia fever Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
Trylon wrote:
djkeev wrote:

The Management

Umm... My car is easily the most driven & abused car in the Ghia forums & I have no problem taking it anywhere I want (literally.) without fear of it breaking down.

I'm saying nothing..I don't want to jinx what has been a remarkably .....able Ghia.
However I did find this under the rear seat when it first arrived:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

...as well as a tow rope.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: '59 Karmann Ghia fever Reply with quote

John Moxon wrote:

I'm saying nothing..I don't want to jinx what has been a remarkably .....able Ghia.
However I did find this under the rear seat when it first arrived:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

...as well as a tow rope.

Some states used to require that road flares be kept in a vehicle.

Did you light one off?

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 113, 114, 115 ... 356, 357, 358  Next
Jump to:
Page 114 of 358

Jump to: