Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Best battery tray sheet metal?
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Best battery tray sheet metal? Reply with quote

riverart wrote:
We just did this job last week. Your welds look better than mine - eesh! We used some sealer (Dynaflex)from Lowes and a caulking gun. It dried well and then I used Rustoleum rust treatment paint over that and finally used Frost King to help with the road noise.

Dunaflex is an acrylic latex, not a urethane. It will not hold up as well as a urethane. I am not saying it wont work, but Urethane is superior in this application

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
lojoma
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Best battery tray sheet metal? Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Inside is now done. Now I have to move under the car. Turned out pretty good, I think. That little bit of red in the upper right is a photo artifact...I think it's a reflection of a red tarp I have on the driver side.
lojoma
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Best battery tray sheet metal? Reply with quote

Apologies for using someone else's photo, but I downloaded this a long time ago and now can't recall where I got it on Samba.

Does anyone have a good source for original-form tar boards that go around the battery area as shown in the photo?
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Best battery tray sheet metal? Reply with quote

Your weld looks like you are welding it too cold. You might want to turn the heat up a little bit. It will also flatten out your puddles, so less grinding.

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
thomas.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 4:03 am    Post subject: Re: Best battery tray sheet metal? Reply with quote

I've used seam sealer from Summit Racing & also from Eastwood. I think they were Sem brand & they worked fantastic.
If you want to sell the rear vents that are on the old pans I would purchase. I only need one but would buy both. The guy I bought my beetle from figured he wouldn't need the heater stuff since he wasn't driving in the cold weather.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
lojoma
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 4:26 am    Post subject: Re: Best battery tray sheet metal? Reply with quote

VW_Jimbo wrote:
Your weld looks like you are welding it too cold. You might want to turn the heat up a little bit. It will also flatten out your puddles, so less grinding.

Agreed, but when I went hotter it kept blowing out the old metal.
lojoma
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 4:27 am    Post subject: Re: Best battery tray sheet metal? Reply with quote

thomas. wrote:

If you want to sell the rear vents that are on the old pans I would purchase. I only need one but would buy both. The guy I bought my beetle from figured he wouldn't need the heater stuff since he wasn't driving in the cold weather.

My old heater outlet is too far gone to reuse, sadly, or I'd put it back on myself. I'm in the market for one, too.
lojoma
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: Best battery tray sheet metal? Reply with quote

First coat of POR under car.
lojoma
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 5:48 am    Post subject: Re: Best battery tray sheet metal? Reply with quote

All done under the car now...here's the final pic with undercoating applied to try to match the rest of the underside...I hope once there is road dirt on there, it will blend in pretty well.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: