Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Do you reset your odometer?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
harrymarlin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 4:51 pm    Post subject: Do you reset your odometer? Reply with quote

Recently I ran across a post where someone was surprised that a person selling their car did not reset their odometer to 0, as they claimed to have done an engine rebuild. I was equally surprised someone *would* reset their odometer, as I saw it more as a historical note of the car, and less of a "this is how new the engine is." ( which seems like a slippery slope, as should I remove some miles if I replace the spark plugs, or replace the oil cooler - and how about if I replace other components?).

What do you all think - would you reset the odometer, and, if so, when?

- Harry
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 4:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Do you reset your odometer? Reply with quote

In New York it's illegal to reset the odometer.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
harrymarlin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Do you reset your odometer? Reply with quote

I am surprised - I thought it was *always* legal - you just had to notate the owners manual, put a sticker on the door jamb, and stamp the odometer as "rebuilt." (As well as notate on the title that the reading is not accurate). What do they do if the odometer has to be replaced?

- Harry
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Do you reset your odometer? Reply with quote

On the title you have to tell if the odometer is not the actual miles.

Personally, on a 50+ year old car does it really matter? Mine's on it's 5th time around.

https://dmv.ny.gov/forms/mv103.pdf
Quote:
1. I certify that, to the best of my knowledge, this odometer reading reflects the ACTUAL MILEAGE as seen on the odometer of the vehicle described below.
2. I certify that, to the best of my knowledge, this odometer reading “EXCEEDS MECHANICAL LIMITS.”(Odometer started over at zero)
3. I certify that, to the best of my knowledge, this odometer reading is “NOT THE ACTUAL MILEAGE.WARNING - ODOMETER DISCREPANCY.”

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Do you reset your odometer? Reply with quote

I seriously doubt many of these cars have the correct mileage. With a 100k ODO, they have been flipped, changed out with another one (like I did when mine self destructed), been reset etc.

Really,.what would it take to believe you found a car with less than 100k? There would need to be some documentation proving the milage.

I just check "not actual milage" on the cars I've sold on the title. No issues.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Do you reset your odometer? Reply with quote

I would never do it myself, it's illegal.

I have seen people do it on a full restoration so the mileage is the # of miles since the full resto. Normally this included a speedometer restoration too so it sort of made sense since you can assume it came apart at that time.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TimGud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 2:50 am    Post subject: Re: Do you reset your odometer? Reply with quote

I set the odometer to zero when restoring them, other than that I leave the mileage where it’s at. Have never bothered noting it and have never had any problems when selling them.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: Do you reset your odometer? Reply with quote

My 1970 is on the factory speedometer/odometer at about 260K miles; I've had it apart for cleaning and lubing twice as it has locked up twice in the 47 years I've had it. True, I did not re-set the odometer either time, but also the odometer did not advance during the time until I got around to fixing it.

Yes, In Arizona it is now illegal to re-set or replace an odometer without noting it and putting the true miles on the title when selling. Or Sheriff Joe will come out of retirement to get you.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
TimGud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 5:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Do you reset your odometer? Reply with quote

That’s a bit misleading and dramatic. All you have to do is check one of two boxes, either the exceeds the mechanical limitations of the odometer, or that it’s not the original mileage on the back of the title when sold. I always told the buyer as well that the rebuilt speedometer was set to zero.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Do you reset your odometer? Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
Yes, In Arizona it is now illegal to re-set or replace an odometer without noting it and putting the true miles on the title when selling.

I don't know how the laws are worded but I suspect they only apply to altering the odometer for the purpose of making a sale. You can likely do whatever you want to your own odometer on the car you keep.

Anyway on a vintage 50 year old car who really cares or believes the odometer. Unless it's some special celebrity owned/ one off/first of/last of car. Not many of them about.
Antonio Trejo
VW Parts Dealer

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 7:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Do you reset your odometer? Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

oprn wrote:
Unless it's some special celebrity owned/ one off/first of/last of car. Not many of them about.

Three months ago I sold one of the Last Edition 2004 Beetle... only 9.5 kilometers on the odometer (5.9 miles).
Genuine VW Ultima Edition parts
Genuine VW Type 2 watercooled parts
wheel607
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 8:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Do you reset your odometer? Reply with quote

Antonio Trejo wrote:

oprn wrote:
Unless it's some special celebrity owned/ one off/first of/last of car. Not many of them about.

Three months ago I sold one of the Last Edition 2004 Beetle... only 9.5 kilometers on the odometer (5.9 miles).

This is not what this thread is about.
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:13 am    Post subject: Re: Do you reset your odometer? Reply with quote

Resetting in PA is illegal, BUT old cars almost always are bought and sold with mileage exempt noted on the paperwork. The bad thing is that many buyers assume what is on the odometer is it real. I know better.

So, if I swap a speedo, I do usually make an effort to set the odometer to match if the customer cares. If they don't then I don't bother.
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pyrOman
Fire Master

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:54 am    Post subject: Re: Do you reset your odometer? Reply with quote

Many moons ago I did start resetting the odometer in an old Itsabitchy by using a drill. Anxious

However, as the extremely slow process went on I also realized that it would turn out to be more detrimental than advantageous since the vehicle was so beat to shit that it’d be obvious it was altered. Laughing

Nowadays I’m actually proud of the high mileage showing in my vehicles! Razz
Antonio Trejo
VW Parts Dealer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: Do you reset your odometer? Reply with quote

When I sell a new speedo, I do usually offer to set the odometer to match if the customer cares. Nobody has requested the service, I do not why... May be I am doing something illegal and Sheriff Joe will come out of retirement to get me.
Genuine VW Ultima Edition parts
Genuine VW Type 2 watercooled parts
kingkarmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: Do you reset your odometer? Reply with quote

Yes.
I rebuilt the speedometer and set the odometer to "0" during the restoration of the Ghia. My Ohio title states "Actual Mileage Unknown"
Odometer now reads about 12,500.
I have no real fear of going to prison and feel very comfortable that the mileage is truly represented "post restoration".
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Do you reset your odometer? Reply with quote

I highly doubt any individual would ever be convicted. Those laws were intended for used car sales businesses.
ach60 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Do you reset your odometer? Reply with quote

Any VW Speedometer with plastic gears can't be trusted.
And that's any VW from the 70 through to when they went electronic.
Plastic gear's first failure mode is to stop & start odometer while your driving,
this goes on until you notice it & fix it, or it fails completely.
Also, No you don't reset the odometer ever, even with a restored car.
But buying a restored speedometer set to zero, documented in the restoration process is OK.
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 5:04 am    Post subject: Re: Do you reset your odometer? Reply with quote

Come on guys, let's get realistic here!

I can see wanting to preserve the original odometer reading on an all numbers matching restoration of an original car but that in my mind is where it ends with our 40 to 60 year old rides.

I will use my Buggy for an example.

Pan - '73 standard Beetle

Body shell - unknown, possibly late '60 to early '70s

Engine - '73 Bus with 10,000 miles on a complete rebuild

Transaxle - this winter it will be mid '70s IRS

Front beam - new reproduction this spring

Rear suspension and brakes - to be changed this winter to 944 parts

Speedometer - year unknown, from a Beetle, sourced from Denmark - reads in Kms.

So - what should the odometer read? The mileage on the pan? The engine before rebuild or after? The transaxle? The body? The new front beam? The 944? Or should it be the unknown Beetle from 1/2 way around the world? I would love to be in the courtroom and hear the Judge's reaction to this!

This is most likely the situation most of the cars on this site are in and who the heck is going to know the difference - or even bloody well care?
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 5:09 am    Post subject: Re: Do you reset your odometer? Reply with quote

And this is an example of one I would definitely not reset!

Antonio Trejo wrote:

oprn wrote:

My Dad's '69 all original numbers matching Bus is another.

But - as soon as you/I swap out the drive train for a Subaru, update the brakes etc. Who cares?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: