Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Glockler Spyder VW Replica? Could Use Help!
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
JacksBack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:44 am    Post subject: Glockler Spyder VW Replica? Could Use Help! Reply with quote

Hi Everyone, hope you’re having a great weekend!  I came across a replica, and most ppl seem to agree it’s a Glockler Spyder replica, registered a VW. It looks mostly correct, but still a bit off from other pics I’ve seen online and I’m wondering if anyone here has seen these or knows anymore about them?

I’m admittedly a noob and new to the replica/ VW world, so everything anyone/ everyone has to say matters!  The car is in US registered as VW, and I’m trying to make the determination of whether (or not) to invest $8K to purchase.  I don’t know enough about these outside of fascination and curiosity to be educated at the level I’d like to be and therefore am relying on the good natured folks on this site to teach me what I need to know in short order.  It’s not an ideal circumstance I know, but nonetheless it’s the situation I’m in, so thank you again for any input.

If I had to ask 2 main questions, it’s these:
1.  Would you pay $8K for this?
2.  From a body perspective, what would it cost to get it right (from where it’s at)?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

vanatic99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: Glockler Spyder VW Replica? Could Use Help! Reply with quote

You asked, so I'll be honest and give you my opinion.
1. Would you pay $8K for this? Absolutely not! I hate the car and don't like anything about it, but that's just my opinion. If you like the car and are willing to pay 8K for it buy it.

2. From a body perspective, what would it cost to get it right (from where it’s at)? I wouldn't put a penny into it and you will have a hard time selling it when the time comes.

I'm sure my answers look harsh to you, but you asked and I'm being honest.
JacksBack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: Glockler Spyder VW Replica? Could Use Help! Reply with quote

Answers don’t seem harsh at all, and appreciate the input.

I’m not married to the car at all and all insight helps!
jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 12:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Glockler Spyder VW Replica? Could Use Help! Reply with quote

Just my opinion but everything about that car looks wrong. Is it like the Perry Spyders which are rear engine?
JacksBack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 12:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Glockler Spyder VW Replica? Could Use Help! Reply with quote

Yep it’s rear engine, and I tend to agree that a lot looks “off” when compared to every other pic I’ve found online of varying replicas. Ultimately I was looking for a low cost fun vehicle to play around with, but it’s safe to say this isn’t it.
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Glockler Spyder VW Replica? Could Use Help! Reply with quote

I do not like the mirrors and the roll bar.

But the rest of it I like. Hard to find something unique in good condition that will be fun for less than $ 8 K. If I did not have all I have, and $ 8 K in hand, I would buy it.

If other people's opinions matter to you, you should not buy it because you will always be judging yourself to their opinions.

Everyone is gifted. Some just do not open the package.

Looks like it was painted with a live chicken,polished with a brick and buffed with a pine cone
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Gary0302
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Glockler Spyder VW Replica? Could Use Help! Reply with quote

Hi JacksBack,

Personally, I wouldn't care if it was "correct" or not; I think it's cool as hell. If the price is reasonable, I would say (or at least to consider to) go for it. (I like Joe Wheeler's comment, the mirrors are not old school enough).

What is reasonable? There is no way anyone here on thesamba can judge what would be a reasonable price by either looking at the photos you have posted so far, or a 1000 more. My recommendation would be to find a qualified individual (or several separate individuals) that may live close to you, so that they can put their eyes on the real thing.

That way, they can (personally) check out the engine, floor pan, wiring, brakes, possible leaks, possible body issues, etc etc etc. $8,000.00, may be on target, may be a little steep (or way, way off) depending on personal judgement from a qualified individual who has had a chance to put his (or her) hands on the subject. Also, I would recommend for you to check out with your state DMV to see if you can personally license it in the first place.

Your profile just says that you are located in CA. I would recommend going to the top of any thesamba page, click on Community, then Clubs, and see if there are any clubs in your area. That way, you may find someone (locally, semi-locally) willing to check it out.

Check out my videos on Youtube

"It's a buggy not a space shuttle...." - Dale M.
"When in doubt, blame it on the previous owner" - Gary0302
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Glockler Spyder VW Replica? Could Use Help! Reply with quote

$8000 might be in the high side of the acceptable range if it completely runs and drives.

The engine is always going to run hot and be a problem without any ventilation to the engine compartment.

I noticed it does not have functioning doors so getting in and out will always be a problem.

Just those two things would kill the deal for me.

Something else that looks cheesy to me is all the snaps for a cover to attach to.
Featured in Dec. 2001 HOT VW's Magazine page 63

Watch my racing video's http://www.youtube.com/user/okvwracer/videos
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Glockler Spyder VW Replica? Could Use Help! Reply with quote

Can you buy just the bare body for $8000?

I priced out a new Manx Buggy body and it was $8000 so when I found a complete running Manx copy for $6000 I considered it a good deal and the floor pan, suspension, engine and transmission as a free bonus.
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Glockler Spyder VW Replica? Could Use Help! Reply with quote

Personally I like the basic concepts... Mirrors are wrong... Needs small chrome bullet mirrors and roll bar is not dated to car, need two individual hoops, and one could put a couple of Porsche style grills on rear to let it breath....

99% of the people who see it will not know what it is anyway.....

They come in all shapes and forms, who is to say what is correct....

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1CHBD_enUS861U...mp;bih=907

Zoom Zoom Zoom drive it like you stole it.....

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Glockler Spyder VW Replica? Could Use Help! Reply with quote

Single seat, single hoop and autocross it!
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:25 am    Post subject: Re: Glockler Spyder VW Replica? Could Use Help! Reply with quote

If you like it and think you can live with the variations from the original go for it. Can't speak to the price as I'm not in that market, but if the car is sound and ready to drive $8K des not seem out of line.

A few things I would change, get rid of the ridiculous luggage rack, that roll bar is going to smack you in the side of the head and should be leaned back or deleted, and those mirrors are atrocious get some period correct mirrors. I'd probably also get rid of the big fat lettered emblem on the rear of the car also and find a repro of the old style script.

brad
Wolfgangdieter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Glockler Spyder VW Replica? Could Use Help! Reply with quote

It really needs probably two 356 Porsche grills on the back clam shell both for carbs to get air for combustion and for the engine cool. I could see it running badly/overheating after about 30minutes unless its 40-50 outside.
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:22 am    Post subject: Re: Glockler Spyder VW Replica? Could Use Help! Reply with quote

I agree with WolfgangDieter and SlalomBuggy.

The roll bar is dangerous as it is. But there SHOULD BE a roll bar in that car. It should be well built and it does NOT need to be double hoop for "Period" When I was a little kid around SoCal road racing there were a number of Porsche Spyders racing. I don't remember ANY of them EVER having double hoop roll bars.

The luggage rack is silly.

Porsche style hood grilles are a definite.

Raydot style mirrors would be good.

In California, to avoid Police, you will need to add the front license plate and technically it should have bumpers of some sort.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dlearl476
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Glockler Spyder VW Replica? Could Use Help! Reply with quote

As the owner of a Beck Spyder, here's my 2¢:

As a 550 replica, that thing is a complete abomonation. All rear-engined 550 replicas are.

That said, as a car, it looks pretty well sorted. $8K? Only you can decide. If it runs well and drives well, and everything works, I'd say it's worth it. I paid $19.5 for my Beck and it didn't. (Does now and it's appraised for $38K)

10 second kit car appraisal? Look at the wiring. If it's nicely dressed, into a labeled fuse box, all the lights (include the gauge lights and parking lights) work? Chances are it's well sorted. If it's a rat's nest under the dash? Run away.

The late-fifties, early 60's were a heyday of small garage/workshop/barn entrepreneurs taking readily available components and making fiberglass sports cars out of them. Devin, Turner, Elva, even Colin Chapman's Lotuses are all the same thing. I see this guy being in the same genre.

This little buggy looks more Alfa Duetto or Elva Courrier, to me. Were I to buy it, the first thing I would do is remove all Porsche badging and let people guess what it is. What with 3-4 companies producing more authentic 550 replicas, this little gem might be rarer than them all.

PS: I'll second the other recommendations here: lose the mirrors, luggage rack, roll bar and get you some Sebring or Raydot mirrors, and some period-correct low back seats and that thing would look like a right proper 60's sports car. And be a blast to drive. I think I'd also lose the cookie cutters and get some Steelies and lower the car 3"4". Given that it's already got Porsche wheels, I'd take a WAG that it's probably got 4 wheel discs and IRS, too.

PSS: Doors? Meh. Who needs 'em. My Beck has them and it's easier to get in and out without them. It's a shame the front doesn't open, though. I understand why the owner put the luggage rack on it. Barely room for a gym bag in the interior.

Last edited by dlearl476 on Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
dlearl476
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 6:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Glockler Spyder VW Replica? Could Use Help! Reply with quote

Dale M. wrote:
Personally I like the basic concepts... Mirrors are wrong... Needs small chrome bullet mirrors and roll bar is not dated to car, need two individual hoops, and one could put a couple of Porsche style grills on rear to let it breath....

99% of the people who see it will not know what it is anyway.....

They come in all shapes and forms, who is to say what is correct....

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1CHBD_enUS861U...mp;bih=907

Zoom Zoom Zoom drive it like you stole it.....

Dale

I think if it were me, I’d buck the trend and add a single grill a la 356.
dlearl476
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Glockler Spyder VW Replica? Could Use Help! Reply with quote

I have to apologize, I don't know what I'm talking about. This isn't a 550 replica on a full VW pan like I assumed, it's a replica of a 1952 Porsche 356 special rebodied by Glocker and from what I can tell from the pic, it's a pretty faithful copy. FWIW, a Devin 356 is probably worth between $50K-$100K. This really isn't that much different than one of those, except that it wasn't made in the 60's.

But my previous statement stands: If it's well sorted, it's devinitely worth $8K.
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: Glockler Spyder VW Replica? Could Use Help! Reply with quote

dlearl476 wrote:
I have to apologize, I don't know what I'm talking about. This isn't a 550 replica on a full VW pan like I assumed, it's a replica of a 1952 Porsche 356 special rebodied by Glocker and from what I can tell from the pic, it's a pretty faithful copy. FWIW, a Devin 356 is probably worth between $50K-$100K. This really isn't that much different than one of those, except that it wasn't made in the 60's.

But my previous statement stands: If it's well sorted, it's devinitely worth $8K.

So I looked up the '52 Porsche 356-Glockler Spyder. Found this:
Quote:
Walter Glockler turned the driving over to his cousin, Helm, who won his class and set a new class record in the spring of 1952 race at the Nurburgring (running without the hardtop) on his way to winning the 1952 German championship. In August, Hans Stanek, of the Swiss VW/Porsche importer AMAG, hill-climbed it, then it was sold to Max Hoffman in the U.S., complete with the hardtop and AFM magnesium wheels.

Upon receiving it, Hoffman entered the May 1953 road races at Bridgehampton on Long Island but turned the driving over to Johnny Von Neuman, soon-to-be successful Porsche distributor on the West Coast. Von Neuman finished third in the 1,500 cc class and brought the Glockler-Porsche and Hoffman valuable publicity, including the cover photo in the September-October 1953 issue of the SCCA magazine, Sports Car. Shortly thereafter Hoffman sold Glockler-Porsche Number 3 to Fred Proctor, Jr. of Connecticut.

https://www.supercars.net/blog/1952-porsche-glockler-356-roadster/

Cool!

In 1952 and 53, my dad worked for Johnny von Neuman at his offices at 2010 Wilshire Blvd in West LA. In 52, he owned a '52 VW Bug. Split Window with an Okrasa engine (VW 25hp with a roller crank, race cam, dual port heads, dual carbs, rated about 55hp). Over that winter, of 52-53 he sold the Bug and bought an English sports car, a Singer Mk. 9. Then in March, when Johnny went to the Cal Club road races at Palm Springs, one of his own race cars was to be driven by a young lady named Maxine Elmer in the Powder Puff (lady drivers only) races that weekend. Maxine brought along a close friend, Nancy (my mom). Dad was in the adjacent motel room. Because of heart trouble from a disease he caught in the Air Force, dad couldn't drive race cars. So he worked that weekend as a course official. But he met mom. I credit Johnny von Neuman for my existence. Maxine went on to marry Briggs Cunningham. When this Porsche Glockler Spyder was at Bridgehampton with Johnny driving it, mom and dad were in LA and already engaged.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: Glockler Spyder VW Replica? Could Use Help! Reply with quote

PS...
The above talks about Max Hoffman and Johnny von Neumann. Max and Johnny were old friends from Austria where they were partners in a car sale firm. They were driven out by the Nazis and moved to the US. Max settled in New York and Johnny after a while moved to LA. Their VW import business after the War was so successful, they were bought out by the VW Factory and became VW of America, which is STILL the Us branch of VW and since teh 1950s the most successful market for VW.

We here on the Samba owe thanks to Johnny von Neumann and Max Hoffman for what we are SO interested in that we spend money and time on our VW and Porsche based cars and so much time on this web site. Without them, none of this would exist.
SoCalBajas Member
dlearl476
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Glockler Spyder VW Replica? Could Use Help! Reply with quote

Great history, Dusty! That's fantastic. I'm sure I'm not alone in thinking early VW-Porsche history is fascinating. It's amazing how Porsche took a few guys with hammers and wrenches in a barn to one if the most successful cars companies in the world.

As for the car, I did a bunch of searching and found some interesting facts: Glocker built 4 different specials between 1949 and 1952. I think the one you posted is #2 or #3. (ETA: Read your link and the one you pictured is indeed car #3) In the 1980's, someone named Mike or Mark Mroz built this replica to go on a full-sized VW pan from molds taken from the 4th car.

Most of the articles/posts I read figure they made 20-30 kits, so this one is indeed rarer than any of the 550 replicas. My Beck is considered an "early" car and it's #201. I think Special Editions is up to the 2500's now and who knows how many Becks Thunder a Ranch has built, not to mention Vintage's version.

It's a shame, I think the OP was dissuaded from following up on this. I think it's a rare little gem with an interesting history. Hopefully he'll check back in and the car is still available. I think it's well worth $8K and, if it's well-sorted, probably $15-$20K.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: