Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Glockler Spyder VW Replica? Could Use Help!
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dlearl476
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Glockler Spyder VW Replica? Could Use Help! Reply with quote

Apparently Hoffman bought car#2 and raced it extensively in the US as well.

More Glockers:

Cars 1 & 2

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Car#1 with streamline top

Car #3 with enclosed bodywork

Max Hoffman in car #2

I have yet to find a photo of the original car #4, but I'll keep looking. I suspect it was one that, according to the grainy pic of a magazine article, Glocker built for a private customer.
52Glockler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 11:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Glockler Spyder VW Replica? Could Use Help! Reply with quote

Thought you guys would enjoy this to sum up the argument. Yes it’s a terrible 550, it’s not one thankfully! It’s a race car predating both speedsters and 550’s and is super rare as a car and a kit car. No idea if they dash is period correct but it’s cool I’ve got a 62 porsche steering wheel I’m going to swap. No doors, it’s a race car. No hood, it’s a race car. The clamshell isn’t a clam shell. It unbolts with 4 bolts and I have to set it down, because it’s a race car. I don’t want this car perfect because race cars weren’t perfect. It runs, scratches 2nd. It’s quirky and peppy both. Turns heads, gets parking lot offers. I own an 84 Carrera and it’s honestly a headache to own worrying about where I park, where I drive, etc. this thing is pure fun and I honestly have more fun in it.

With that said, the red one aforementioned is ugly. It’s probably in better condition than mine. Throw a race car quick runny paint job on it, some decals, period correct mirrors and have fun.

We are just kids playing with toys. No better, no worse.
isucorvair
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: Glockler Spyder VW Replica? Could Use Help! Reply with quote

Thought you guys would enjoy this to sum up the argument. Yes it’s a terrible 550, it’s not one thankfully! It’s a race car predating both speedsters and 550’s and is super rare as a car and a kit car. No idea if they dash is period correct but it’s cool I’ve got a 62 porsche steering wheel I’m going to swap. No doors, it’s a race car. No hood, it’s a race car. The clamshell isn’t a clam shell. It unbolts with 4 bolts and I have to set it down, because it’s a race car. I don’t want this car perfect because race cars weren’t perfect. It runs, scratches 2nd. It’s quirky and peppy both. Turns heads, gets parking lot offers. I own an 84 Carrera and it’s honestly a headache to own worrying about where I park, where I drive, etc. this thing is pure fun and I honestly have more fun in it.

Please tell me that the Corvair Spyder emblem/script on the clamshell is a hint at what engine is in there!

Eric P.
DeWitt, IA
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2021 7:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Glockler Spyder VW Replica? Could Use Help! Reply with quote

dlearl476 wrote:
In the 1980's, someone named Mike or Mark Mroz built this replica to go on a full-sized VW pan from molds taken from the 4th car.
I remember the HotVWs article on the car, called the Mrozer. Just searched and quickly found a link to a 1986 magazine with article on Mark Mroz's car, which is likely a few months around the HotVWs article. https://www.amazon.com/Petersens-Kit-Magazine-July-1986/dp/B07GCT3YCJ

"Gloeckler" with the "oe" substituting for o umlaut, and another "l" after the k. Not Glocker.

dustymojave, thank you for writing about your highly interesting and pertinent direct family experience, and for later correctly spelling Mr. von Neumann's name (small v on von, and 2 "n" at end). Did he ever mention about the performance of his Beetle with the early OKRASA engine?

Here's another vehicle that somewhat fits the theme of the OP's car's inspiration, especially from the rear perspective: http://www.californiaclassix.com/archive/53_Spyder.html
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 6:35 am    Post subject: Re: Glockler Spyder VW Replica? Could Use Help! Reply with quote

^ ^ Here are 2 dealer items that show the correct spelling:

Maintenance documents pouch (Jake Martinez photo), which has the round emblem at bottom right that is shown in greater detail on the vehicle plaque below (eurodub photo) that is installed on a split dash Beetle (thru 8/1952).

TC/TeamEvil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2021 7:26 am    Post subject: Re: Glockler Spyder VW Replica? Could Use Help! Reply with quote

Way over priced for what t is, although I'd love to own it for $5,000 if the engine is built up and the wiring done right and the DMV would accept that as a "Volkswagen" and not a "Specialty Vehicle." Something to watch out for here.

It seems to be one of those very awkward VW kit cars based roughly on a variation of the Glocker or Spyder shell that made the rounds in the 80's. Sitting on a stock VW pan and without doors made the "conversion" easier.

Here's a link to a better sorted out variation of what you found:

http://smclassiccars.com/porsche/324014-porsche-550-spyderglockler-1954-550-spyder-replica.html

Personally, even though I'd love to own it, but that price and the silly add-ons and un-finished sate, make it unviable.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: