Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Think I have a 73 Super Beetle but the pans don't look right?
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
malacarr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:32 am    Post subject: Think I have a 73 Super Beetle but the pans don't look right? Reply with quote

Just getting started with restoring a 1973 Super Beetle sedan and was getting ready to order the pans. But the one I have doesn't seem to match what JBugs is telling me I need. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks...
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
[/img]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
green1303
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:49 am    Post subject: Re: Think I have a 73 Super Beetle but tthe pans don't look right? Reply with quote

It looks like a 1971-1972 Super Beetle. What number is stamped on the rear of the chassis tunnel?
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:57 am    Post subject: Re: Think I have a 73 Super Beetle but tthe pans don't look right? Reply with quote

Your floors have been repaired or replaced with different year parts.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
volksworld
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:58 am    Post subject: Re: Think I have a 73 Super Beetle but tthe pans don't look right? Reply with quote

does the body have a curved windshield? and whats the vin? that pan has the earlier struts that attach to the ball joints with 3 bolts so if its a 73 its a real early one...but from what little i can see it doesnt have the T shaped seat rails of a 71/72 super either...i think the pans have been replaced before and they just used earlier ones....there was a point in time(the 80's) when aftermarket ones werent available yet for 73 and up so you either had to buy real ones from the dealer ($$$$) or use the earlier ones and come up with a set of early seats...then they started making rear 1/4s with the seat tracks attached and you had to splice these to early front 1/4s and re-use the pedistal...so theres a lot of cobbled together stuff out there
malacarr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:00 am    Post subject: Re: Think I have a 73 Super Beetle but tthe pans don't look right? Reply with quote

green1303 wrote:
It looks like a 1971-1972 Super Beetle. What number is stamped on the rear of the chassis tunnel?
I will need to get a picture of that but the VIN that was on the dash
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
malacarr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:02 am    Post subject: Re: Think I have a 73 Super Beetle but tthe pans don't look right? Reply with quote

Q-Dog wrote:
Your floors have been repaired or replaced with different year parts.
Should I go back with the 73 pans? It looks like I will need to add the latching mechanism (not sure about terminology) for the front seats. The seats that where in the bug when I got didn't seem to fit correctly anyhow. Guess I need to get new seats as well...
green1303
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:17 am    Post subject: Re: Think I have a 73 Super Beetle but tthe pans don't look right? Reply with quote

That’s a 1973 with the wrong pans on it. Two manufacturers make 18 gauge (1.2 mm thick) floor pans for 1973: Kaeferland and Klokkerholm. The Kaeferland pans have more correct stamping but require more assembly. I have the Klokkerholm ones on my car and am very happy with them. Those pans are much better than Klokkerholm’s body repair panels. For your own good, please don’t buy any other brand...
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:24 am    Post subject: Re: Think I have a 73 Super Beetle but tthe pans don't look right? Reply with quote

malacarr wrote:
... Should I go back with the 73 pans? It looks like I will need to add the latching mechanism (not sure about terminology) for the front seats. The seats that where in the bug when I got didn't seem to fit correctly anyhow. Guess I need to get new seats as well...

It all depends on how much time and $$$$s you want to spend.

I am pretty sure the seat adjuster mechanism is not reproduced, so you will have to find those parts used. Might be a good idea to find correct seats and adjusters before you order pans.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
volksworld
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:30 am    Post subject: Re: Think I have a 73 Super Beetle but tthe pans don't look right? Reply with quote

the late pedistal uses a pin that slides in to lock the seat...and a rod that goes from there to a lever on the tunnel....looking at the picture i think i can see the spot (side of tunnel, just behind the shifter) where the bracket has been hacked off
malacarr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:50 am    Post subject: Re: Think I have a 73 Super Beetle but tthe pans don't look right? Reply with quote

volksworld wrote:
the late pedistal uses a pin that slides in to lock the seat...and a rod that goes from there to a lever on the tunnel....looking at the picture i think i can see the spot (side of tunnel, just behind the shifter) where the bracket has been hacked off
So would you go back with the older type pans?
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:01 am    Post subject: Re: Think I have a 73 Super Beetle but tthe pans don't look right? Reply with quote

Personally I prefer the later-style seats. But you may be stuck w/this floor pan since the VIN is correct for the body. In this pic borrowed from the gallery, you can kind of see the pieces that are missing for a '73+ seat.

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
TK-CS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Think I have a 73 Super Beetle but tthe pans don't look right? Reply with quote

If it was mine, I would put on the right pans for the '73 car.

Q-Dog wrote:
I am pretty sure the seat adjuster mechanism is not reproduced, so you will have to find those parts used. Might be a good idea to find correct seats and adjusters before you order pans.

Or he can get seats '76+ which have the whole mechanism mounted to the seat.
WC:
'77 Audi NSU Ro80
'88 GTI 16V
'91 Corrado G60
Daily:
'04 Passat Wagon 2.0TDI
'13 Passat Wagon 2.0TSI
volksworld
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Think I have a 73 Super Beetle but tthe pans don't look right? Reply with quote

oct 20 is the vw show and swap meet at farmington dragway....if nothing else maybe you can talk a couple of people into sitting in their cars and see which style of seat you like better
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Think I have a 73 Super Beetle but tthe pans don't look right? Reply with quote

Look at the bottom of your strut housing where it mounts to the spindle, are there three bolts holding the housing in place like this?

This would make it the "early '73" type suspension.
According to JBugs this type front suspension was used... "1971 through early 1973 (Thru Chassis #1333003655 / 1533003655)"

The later suspension ('73-later) has the strut housing mounted to the spindle using just two bolts:

Your VIN does appears to be lower (earlier) than the transision VIN so it SHOULD be the earlier 3-bolt type front suspension. Be sure to order parts for '71-'73 SB front suspension.

The VIN you posted is associated with the body. As mentioned, confirm by checking the VIN stamped into the tunnel as this is the VIN associated with the chassis. It is possible that over the decades, someone swapped body/chassis. Legally, most states require the VINs to match.
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
TK-CS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Think I have a 73 Super Beetle but tthe pans don't look right? Reply with quote

All cars with a VIN starting with 133/153 have the old style front suspension.
The new style starts with MY '74 (134/154).
WC:
'77 Audi NSU Ro80
'88 GTI 16V
'91 Corrado G60
Daily:
'04 Passat Wagon 2.0TDI
'13 Passat Wagon 2.0TSI
malacarr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Think I have a 73 Super Beetle but tthe pans don't look right? Reply with quote

ashman40 wrote:
Look at the bottom of your strut housing where it mounts to the spindle, are there three bolts holding the housing in place like this?

According to JBugs this type front suspension was used... "1971 through early 1973 (Thru Chassis #1333003655 / 1533003655)"

The later suspension ('73-later) has the strut housing mounted to the spindle using just two bolts:

Your VIN does appears to be lower (earlier) than the transision VIN so it SHOULD be the earlier 3-bolt type front suspension. Be sure to order parts for '71-'73 SB front suspension.

The VIN you posted is associated with the body. As mentioned, confirm by checking the VIN stamped into the tunnel as this is the VIN associated with the chassis. It is possible that over the decades, someone swapped body/chassis. Legally, most states require the VINs to match.

Yes mine has the 3 bolts, so would the pans that I should order be the ones that have the 2 rails with no center post (not sure if I am wording it correctly)
TK-CS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Think I have a 73 Super Beetle but tthe pans don't look right? Reply with quote

Correct pans for a MY '73 car (VIN 133) are these with the center post.
WC:
'77 Audi NSU Ro80
'88 GTI 16V
'91 Corrado G60
Daily:
'04 Passat Wagon 2.0TDI
'13 Passat Wagon 2.0TSI
malacarr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Think I have a 73 Super Beetle but tthe pans don't look right? Reply with quote

ashman40 wrote:

Yes mine has the 3 bolts, so I should go back to the early model 73 pans that don't have the seat center post correct?
green1303
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Think I have a 73 Super Beetle but tthe pans don't look right? Reply with quote

All 1973 Beetles and Super Beetles have the center hump or post on the floor pans. You also have the 1971 to mid-1973 front suspension, but that is a separate consideration.

Also, definitely confirm that your body and chassis have the same VIN number.
traumaman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Think I have a 73 Super Beetle but tthe pans don't look right? Reply with quote

I used the Dansk floor pans from CIP1. They seemed like good quality and were a good fit for my 74 Super.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: