Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1937 Atlas
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:54 am    Post subject: 1937 Atlas Reply with quote

Was just given this lathe. Has an oldschool type cnc set up .
More pics to come
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: 1937 Atlas Reply with quote

Those were awesome... If it is "loose" rebuild it, they will out last newer ones...Clausing Industries (former Atlas Tool and Die I believe) may still have parts for older machines...

https://www.clausing-industrial.com/partsService.asp

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
grandpa red
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:01 am    Post subject: Re: 1937 Atlas Reply with quote

That's pretty cool!
nextgen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: 1937 Atlas Reply with quote

I have one also, love it, I was sold by SEARS --Sears Atlas Lathe,

Mine is small but is considered the most requested for the home garage.

It only can take a 6" over the the bed ( 3" from center line to Bed ) 24" long.

I made a few hundred Cali-Deco Floating Pens on it.

Tommy Thompson, U.S Sec. Health
and many people like Guys in the music bought it. They thought it made the singing of contracts extra special.
LETS TALK DUBS https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=joe+cali+ghia https://letstalkdubs.libsyn.com/ep-200-joe-cali-ty...qI3xJTCzjs
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Danpa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 1937 Atlas Reply with quote

Pretty cool! I had a newer model (1946) years ago that I bought from a guy I worked with at Litton Precision Gear in Chicago.
He retired, was moving, and gave me a smoking deal on it, along with a lot of other stuff.
Sadly, I had to sell it years later. I really regret that...

Does yours have the milling attachment that replaces the compound?
Mine did. Pretty handy.

I'm real curious about the CNC setup, don't forget the pics.
Dan
77 Scirocco (gone)
73 Squareback (scrapped)
70 Beetle (current, in pieces)
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 1937 Atlas Reply with quote

I have the lathe bed only, standing in a corner.
No reason besides... can't throw it away, maybe it will become a part of something else someday.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 1937 Atlas Reply with quote

My Grand dad had a similar model, he didn't know F' all about how to use it (but enjoyed telling his pals he did), I got my hands on it later on when he moved into a home and I learned how to (and how not to) use a lathe by trial and error Confused Smile , the machine withstood all my stupid teenager moves.
Great machine, if he didn't will it to one of his equally non machinist buddies later on I'd likely still have it around for small jobs, seems everything I wanted to swing on it was a hair bigger than the bed clearance. But it did help me greatly when I went out and bought my own, size does matter, even if you don't always use it. Wink

That's a great starter lathe and will do everything you'll ever want to do at home as long as you stick to working on small things. Super well made and tough, yet simple. You are in for some fun!

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
nextgen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:21 am    Post subject: Re: 1937 Atlas Reply with quote

I always wanted the mill attachment but it was expensive and would rarely use it.

Parts are still available for that lathe.

BTW I did not show you the link for the CALI DECO FLOATING PEN.

Strange timing, it is the 50th anniversary and my wife and I were friends with Richie Havens -- the first act at Woodstock. I gave him one of my pens as a gift.

I did the pen and the column on the lathe, then when orders got hot, I had them made with the other pieces at a machine shop and the pen sent to chrome shop. Vendors screwed me around, late delivery and raised prices so I stopped making them. Now I make them for friends as a gift. The pen chrome has some flaws but still very cool.
still cool.

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/joe-cali-deco-floating-pen-art-deco-machine-age-2
LETS TALK DUBS https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=joe+cali+ghia https://letstalkdubs.libsyn.com/ep-200-joe-cali-ty...qI3xJTCzjs
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ebel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 1937 Atlas Reply with quote

They weren’t the best. But they were decent tools. Better then the cheaper AA lathes craftsman sold. Make sure you keep the bearings oiled and adjusted and it will be pretty accurate. I used to have a lathe with plain bearings in my garage and in winter I’d have to tighten it up when it got cold because it was getting too much play.
anthracitedub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:28 pm    Post subject: Re: 1937 Atlas Reply with quote

I’ve got a 59 with a bunch of tooling and a 4 jaw chuck. It’s tight, i put a new nut in the carriage. Everything works good on it. It’s sold as a sears craftsman but is indeed an Atlas.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nextgen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 5:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 1937 Atlas Reply with quote

4 jaw chuck and making treads were not my specialty.
hobbybob517
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: 1937 Atlas Reply with quote

Looks like a nice little hobby lathe,
i personaly like them a bit bigger, once you go VDF you can't go back Razz

3 million rpm? Well there's your problem! No wonder it blew up!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: